Slow GEN 5 using my LAN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonataq14
Freshman

Slow GEN 5 using my LAN

I have HughesNet Gen 5 and my download speeds on my desktop computer are around 7mbps.   They should be around 25mbps.  I am directly connected via LAN to the modem/router.   I go to "Testmy.net" to do my speed tests and they are consistently slow...around 7mbps.  I used the manual 25MB test. Here's where it gets weird.   When I connect my laptop to one of the other LAN ports on the back of the router/modem, I get download speeds of 25mbps, while a moment later, the desktop computer gets download speeds, once again, around 7mbps. 

Here is what I’ve tried to do to attempt to resolve the problem.

1. Power down the modem/router for 1 minute and restart. Didn’t fix the problem.
  2. Delete my cache/cookies/history from my desktop computer (running Windows 10). Didn’t fix the problem.
  3. Restart my desktop computer. Didn’t fix the problem.
  4. Go into the "Device Manager" and uninstall all my network drivers...then power down my desktop computer, and then power back on and let the drivers re-load. Didn’t fix the problem.
  5. Update all my network drivers, directly from the "Device Manager". Didn’t fix the problem.
  6. Plug my desktop LAN cable into a different port on the back of the modem/router. Didn’t fix the problem.

There must be some sort of Windows 10 setting to fix this since it is isolated to only 1 computer that is connected to the LAN, but I'm lost.   My other computers get the 25mbps using the LAN, but my desktop computer does not.  

HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I finally have the solution to the problem...without knowing the exact problem!   Here is what I did, which fixed the problem.

In the little Cortana search box in the lower left corner of my Windows 10 desktop screen, I typed in "Network Reset" (without the quotes).

A new window opened, and I clicked on the "Reset Now" button.  

The computer needed to be restarted manually, even though the screen said it would restart automatically.   So, I manually restarted the computer, brought up the www.testmy.net website, performed a manual 25Mbps speed test, and I'm back up and running at 25Mbps+ again.

Problem Solved.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sonataq14 

Using the LAN cable connected computer, go to this page.  When you do, a LAN speed test will automatically run, testing the speed of the LAN cable connection itself.  What is the result you get?  

It's just a thought, but you may want to try another LAN cable.

Hi Gabe, thanks for the suggestion.   So, I have a brand new Cat 5/6 cable and replaced my existing cable with the new one, as you suggested.   The problem didn't get resolved.   When I plug my laptop in to one of the LAN ports on the back of the router/modem, I get 25Mbps+.   When I plug my desktop computer in on a different port (or the same port as my laptop), it gets 7Mbps.   A couple weeks ago, Hughesnet sent me a brand new router/modem.   At the time I replaced it, I was getting 25Mbps on my desktop computer.   Just in the last few days the speed dropped, but only on the desktop computer.   Not on other computers.  I'm wondering if Windows 10 did an update and changed some sort of setting?

I finally have the solution to the problem...without knowing the exact problem!   Here is what I did, which fixed the problem.

In the little Cortana search box in the lower left corner of my Windows 10 desktop screen, I typed in "Network Reset" (without the quotes).

A new window opened, and I clicked on the "Reset Now" button.  

The computer needed to be restarted manually, even though the screen said it would restart automatically.   So, I manually restarted the computer, brought up the www.testmy.net website, performed a manual 25Mbps speed test, and I'm back up and running at 25Mbps+ again.

Problem Solved.

GabeU

@sonataq14 

I'm glad you got it fixed.  Good thinking. 🙂

If that LAN test had showed anything under about 200Mbps, running a network reset would have been the next step suggested.  A network reset re-installs the adapter(s) and kicks the settings back to default, which can help when, for whatever reason, things have gotten garbled with it.   

This post helped me set up my son's desktop which has Win10 on it! It wasn't connecting so I did what you did and viola!!! He's online now.

They did just have an update to fix something that even scared NSA.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

They did just have an update to fix something that even scared NSA.

If I remember correctly, it was actually the NSA that notified Microsoft, and if they're concerned more with users' security than exploiting the issue for their own purposes you know it's bad.