Slow Gen5 download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarolFox58
Freshman

Slow Gen5 download speed

I have been trying since 9/22 to get my speeds above 12.I have been told it is everything from a virus in my PC to it's because my PC is a Dell and it won't work with HughesNet.I spent 3 hours with my virus protection company who found NO virus. I called Dell and they said the make of the PC has nothing to do with the speeds or connection and they said my PC isn't configured correctly to the internet provider and that was not for them to fix, Hughes has to fix that but they won't. What am I to do ?? HELP!

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Carol, the Hughesnet mods here will require some data they can work with to diagnose your problem. 

A good way to start collecting that data is to create a free account at Testmy.net, and to run speed tests there at different times of the day.  It's a good idea to run about 3 tests each time, spaced about 3 to 5 minutes. 

Once you have collected tests for a couple of days, you should post a link to the results page. The link will look something like this https://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername.  The mods and engineers can get a lot of data from that results page. 

To run the tests, make sure you have your device connected directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable. This is done to show that if there is a problem, it's with the modem, and not the wifi.

You may be asked to do other things and collect some other data. While this may be irritating, it's a required part of the diagnostic process. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

I have done these so far over several days. Sometimes it's so slow the test won't even run. I am only connected with my PC and the Lan line. https://testmy.net/quickstats/CarolFox

maratsade

The mods will likely look at these results and get back to you. Please be aware that sometimes it takes a bit for them to respond. Also, the mods may need for you to run more than one test per day, and to test more than once a day (for example, 3 tests in the morning, spaced 5 minutes apart; then 3 tests in the mid to late afternoon or early evening, then 3 tests later at night).  With more tests, a clearer picture emerges. 

Hi CarolFox58,

I see it's your first thread here, so welcome to the community! Thank you for your testmy.net URL, this helps. As maratsade said, more tests at various parts of the day will give us a better picture of your general performance.

The PC you have hardwired to the HughesNet modem, how old is it? 

Which operating system?

What were you attempting to do online when you decided to run speed tests and noticed you were getting less than 12 Mbps?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

My PC is hardwired.It's 18 months old,Windows10. It doesn't matter what I do, it's just slow. All I do is Facebook, google for embroidery patterns and pay bills. I have been with Hughes since it was Direcway so I am no stranger. If they are having issues on thier end, they need to admit it ! Not tell me that everything is MY problem. I don't believe it ! I am on Gen5 50GB a month and rarely use half of that.

Good morning CarolFox58,

Thanks for the clarification, I can understand where you're coming from when it seems everything seems slow despite having your PC checked multiple times. I wish the diagnostics showed something out of the ordinary on our end to give us an easy answer, but alas, I just ran another set of diagnostics on your system and am seeing even faster speeds than yesterday's:

Speed test results for SAN - DSS6

Execution time: 2018-10-12 13:49:27
Upload speed (kb/sec): 2690.381
Download speed (kb/sec): 43018.504
Round trip ping time (msec): 586
Packet loss rate (%): 0

Yesterday's results were also well above 12 Mbps:

Execution time: 2018-10-11 20:13:44
Upload speed (kb/sec): 2614.902
Download speed (kb/sec): 21503.738
Round trip ping time (msec): 550

To us, everything looks pretty good. We do appreciate our longtime customers so for assurance, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Oct 13, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #115995229 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Not saying it might not be your computer's setup (bad driver, whatever), but you usually see that with wifi, not usually with an ethernet cable (unless the cable's bad). Not ruling it out, but I offer an alternative  explanation:

If it helps, the internet has been a mess on the east due to recent spate of hurricanes over the past coupld of weeks. Any route table to/through a server in the affected areas within Florida and the Carolinas had to be dynamically re-routed, and may not be very optimal.

In those cases it's not a HughesNet problem and would show to be perfectly operational at HN HQ (per Liz' numbers). The problem is with the upstream provider that the west coast ground station uses to get to the internet, or somewhere in-between that and where you're trying to go.

It may take some time to get back to normal, if it hasn't already.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I just want what I pay over $150.00 a month for. That's all I am asking.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote: 

If it helps, the internet has been a mess on the east due to recent spate of hurricanes over the past coupld of weeks. Any route table to/through a server in the affected areas within Florida and the Carolinas had to be dynamically re-routed, and may not be very optimal. 

My speeds are normally in the 30Mbps range, and sometimes the 40Mbps range, at the time of evening of the following two tests.  They're back up to normal, now.  

7tV7W1SeD.pngnvGnx_yLm.png

Also forgot to mention the hurricane on the West Coast that (I think) interfered with at least one ground station out there as it passed between it and the satellite...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The weather's been a wonky B everywhere and it's affected speeds quite noticeably for most of us. One hopes we get a reprieve before the snows start. 

As long as I DON'T have to pay for it, that's great.  Because, I won't.

maratsade

Chill; they're sending a tech for free, as a courtesy. 

As long as I DON'T have to pay for it, that's great.  Because, I won't.

The Tech. just left. The modem and raido were both bad. He replaced them.

maratsade

Excellent! How are things working now?

@CarolFox58 wrote:

The Tech. just left. The modem and raido were both bad. He replaced them.

Better. I will test in the free time. Wasted too much data already. Thanks for the help.

Good morning CarolFox58, 

Thanks for the update, glad to see the site visit went well. Thank you also for this latest speed test. Our diagnostics are showing everything working normally and speeds exceeding your plan's. 

Speed test results for SAN - DSS6

Execution time: 2018-10-15 13:59:05
Upload speed (kb/sec): 3137.101
Download speed (kb/sec): 33554.432
Round trip ping time (msec): 546

Next time you need to run a speed test, please run a batch of three spaced 5 minutes apart so we can get an average speed from that time period.  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

I don't understand how 9Mbps is a good speed. I used to be in the 40's. 9 is normal for Gen5 service?

No, this is why I'd like to get an average of your current speeds so that I can have the data ready for our corporate engineers if need be.

These tests use a lot of my data. While I understand you need them, how can I keep in my limits with all these test? I can barely get any use of my data anyway, now I'm just wasting it. I thought for sure I read above that you stated my test are exceeding my plan.I will do another set of three spaced 5 minutes apart and give you the results. But I can't waste anymore data . I appreciate your help.