Slow Gen5 download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lostmtnman
Freshman

Slow Gen5 download speed

For the past three months I have been experiencing super slow Gen5 internet download speeds starting in late aftenoon until late at night. What is going on and what is HughesNet doing to fix the problem if they are aware of it?  Check my speed test results that I ran Saturday night.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Lostmtnman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm having a similar issue.  The company is working on these issues, trying to figure out where they come from. While it may seem nothing is happening, they're actually being proactive. 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade

I'm having a similar issue.  The company is working on these issues, trying to figure out where they come from. While it may seem nothing is happening, they're actually being proactive. 

Good morning lostmtnman,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and providing your testmy.net speed test URL. Our engineers are aware of this and they are implementing additional capacity in an effort to address these concerns. No timeframe has been given on when this work will be completed, but once I have news about it I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I switched to HughesNet two months ago (ht2000w, windows 7). Download speeds have dropped to under 1 (ONE) Mbs and are fluctuating between 0.2 and 3 Mbs. My work requires a high-speed connection, which obviously HughesNet cannot provide. I have not experienced this bad of a service (and system) with any Internet service provider (my previous provider was COX; and prior to that DSL through ATT; and going back all the way to dial-up). I wonder how HughesNet can stay in business. This is one of those examples of how a company over-promises and under-delivers. It seems that HughesNet has no capacity to deliver and has to throttle speeds down to nearly zero. HughesNet did respond to my inquiry, not with a solution, but with excuses. 

maratsade

If you would like help with troubleshooting and solving your issue, you should create a new thread under Tech Support. 

We switched from Gen 4 to Gen 5 in July of 2017. We believed the advertisements regarding download and upload speeds. We have never gotten much more than 2.5 and 2.0 download and upload speeds. It's real simple........They lied ! Now we are stuck for another 17 months with crappy internet service, and there is nothing that we can do about it. This is a type of non-truth in advertising that government allows now days. We do everything possible to inform and discourage or friends and relatives from doing business with Hughes. The only suggestion that was ever made by the techs was to run constant speed tests. They just confirmed what we new after the first 2 weeks with Hughes. Bad service, Bad company !

GabeU

@youngblood48

You were told nearly six months ago exactly what you needed to do in order to get help in this community with your speed issues, yet you refused to do so.  You were made aware that troubleshooting was needed to get help here, yet you refused to do so and decided to get snippy with the person attempting to help you.  

Good luck to you.  

Same for me. Very slow speeds. We signed up a week ago and what a mistake. The internet is nearly unusable. We do a lot of online business but can't with Hughesnet. We have to resort to using our mobile hotspots for conducting business. Hughesnet is really awful. I have never had such poor service--worse than dial-up on a 386 computer.

You should still be able to get out of your conract with HughesNet at this point.  I think you have a month iirc.

GabeU

@kdstevens

To troubleshoot your issue, please start a new post in this same section (Tech Support).  This will keep your issue separate.  

You can do so here...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

I have noticed a significant improvement over the last few days.  Did the engineers do something?

Thank you for this update, lostmtnman. I have not been informed of any particular work done in the past few days, but it could be possible that something has been done. Our engineers are constantly making adjustments to maintain network performance. We are expecting a general update from engineering this week, so hopefully that may shed some light on your recent improved experience. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I'm a new Gen5 customer... I have been unable to use this service at all since I signed up.  I don't believe it is equipment related as at 5:00 AM I attained back-to-back speed results that are at or above what we were promised.  I am currently gathering data on TestMy.net, but for what I am currently seeing, here are my results:

http://testmy.net/quickstats/JonMc

Will be updated over the next few days with more data points every 6 hours.

Please keep us posted on a resolution.  Currently I'm relying on my slow (6 Mbps) DSL connection as my primary.  I have only 1 device currently plugged into the HT2000W modem, no other devices use it (nor can they at these speeds).

GabeU

JonMc,

Make sure to use the manual 25MB download test size with Gen5.  

I have changed the auto-test to 25MB minimum size.  Will run for 3 days, 4 times a day.

I was told my gateway was Missoula, Montana and there was snow there. I live in Texas where it rarely snows. So although this explains it, it doesn’t make me happy!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Jrdane1 wrote:
I was told my gateway was Missoula, Montana and there was snow there. I live in Texas where it rarely snows. So although this explains it, it doesn’t make me happy!

That is how satellite works, nothing they can do about weather at your gateway. It is basically  wireless service subject to weather conditions and gateways are required to get the signal to and from the satellite and interface to the internet.

It does take some pretty severe weather to take a gateway offline.

Maybe I spoke too soon.  Look at the results from tonight.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Lostmtnman

Good morning lostmtnman,

Thank you for running these new tests to show this, we're compiling this data. We are expecting a general update from engineering soon, I'll post back once we hear from them.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

I am having aweful speeds as well.  here are my results http://testmy.net/db/sqyGfIiak

GabeU

@charles-Georgia

It would be beneficial for you to start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.  

If you do run tests, it would be best for you to run them under an account that you create at testmy.net so they are logged.  If the engineers need the test results, they will need the quickstats link, which can only be given from a user created account.