cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Gen5 download speed

Freshman

Re: Slow Gen5 download speed

Maybe I spoke too soon.  Look at the results from tonight.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Lostmtnman

Good morning lostmtnman,

Thank you for running these new tests to show this, we're compiling this data. We are expecting a general update from engineering soon, I'll post back once we hear from them.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

I am having aweful speeds as well.  here are my results http://testmy.net/db/sqyGfIiak

Distinguished Professor IV

@charles-Georgia

It would be beneficial for you to start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.  

If you do run tests, it would be best for you to run them under an account that you create at testmy.net so they are logged.  If the engineers need the test results, they will need the quickstats link, which can only be given from a user created account.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

oh boy entry after entry of slow speeds and me just signing away two years of thousands of dollars to Hughes...I hope not a hughes a*! mistake.   yikes.  started new thread but since I my speeds are so slow I have plenty of time to post on every other complaint of slow speeds.

Freshman

I am with Hughesnet only for about three months --- initially good for the first few days, and then for the past 2.5 months download speeds are very low and volatile. I am using Windows 7 OS with nothing fancy installed; Hughes HT2000W modem. My main use is work related up-/ and down loading of relatively large CAD files, and well as remote CAD work (using OnShape). I have contacted the tech support but to no avail. It appears that the tech support cannot do anything about slow download/upload speeds and high volatility in speeds (see data below). All speed test data is recorded at my Hughesnet account speed test site.  I have not experienced this bad of a service ever before with any other internet service provider. And, the problem is not in my computer or system, as I have tested three different computers, changed configurations, am directly hardwired to the modem, disabled everything I possibly can in order just to focus on the download/upload performance. I am also not streaming anything but use the connection for work and up- /downloading files. With all the arrangements, and all three computers, I am getting about the same results. The problem appears clearly to be at the Hughesnet end. It appears (and this is a hypothesis) that Hughesnet, in order to manage their overall traffic, throttles individual services down regardless of the level of the individual contract (and I have the highest available data contract and commitment). I, honestly, cannot recommend Hughesnet satellite service to anyone. My previous service provider was Comcast and prior to that AT&T. I never had to conduct "speedtests" as the connections were always stable and services predictable, and speed (down/up) variablity (measured as standard deviation) was within (+ -) 5 Mbps.   

Here are some of my latest results from the hughesnet site (in total I have abot three months (from 10/1/2017- to today) of speed data):

Speed Test History
Please allow up to 5 minutes to see your latest test results.
Show: 102550100150200 at a time. (Total: 61)Page 1 of 3Next >>>
Date Recorded Download Result(KBPS) Upload Result(KBPS) Hughes Modem
01/11/2018 03:48 PM

Yes

01/11/2018 03:47 PM
Yes
01/11/2018 03:46 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 04:08 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:56 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:54 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:52 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:25 AM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:23 AM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:22 AM
Yes

Gary Waissi

Good morning lostmtnman,

Thank you for your patience while we worked to address your concerns. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

We switched from Gen 4 to Gen 5 in July of 2017. We believed the advertisements regarding download and upload speeds. We have never gotten much more than 2.5 and 2.0 download and upload speeds. It's real simple........They lied ! Now we are stuck for another 17 months with crappy internet service, and there is nothing that we can do about it. This is a type of non-truth in advertising that government allows now days. We do everything possible to inform and discourage or friends and relatives from doing business with Hughes. The only suggestion that was ever made by the techs was to run constant speed tests. They just confirmed what we new after the first 2 weeks with Hughes. Bad service, Bad company !

Distinguished Professor IV

@youngblood48

You were told nearly six months ago exactly what you needed to do in order to get help in this community with your speed issues, yet you refused to do so.  You were made aware that troubleshooting was needed to get help here, yet you refused to do so and decided to get snippy with the person attempting to help you.  

Good luck to you.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi lostmtnman, 

Thank you for your patience. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz