Slow Speed HELP

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maui1957
Freshman

Slow Speed HELP

I had slow speeds back in October and something was fixed and its been working well. Now all of the sudden I have very slow speed when on-line and when trying to stream netflix. I have reset modem twice and am trying to run the required tests however 2 25MB test is taking approx 10-15 minutes to complete. 
I am out of data for the month however I have 29 GB of tokens available as I knew i would be running out before the end of the cycle and should not be slowing down based on purchasing those tokens....Here are the test results. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Toad1957

51 REPLIES 51
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Maui1957 

Are the Data Tokens showing as being utilized right now?  If you're using the HughesNet Usage Meter it should be easy to see on it.  Otherwise, you can check on the System Control Center.

The reason I ask is that, with the Data Tokens being used you shouldn't be seeing any difference in speed when compared to normal.

Whichever the case, the reps will be back on Monday and should reply then.  If you'd rather not wait for them you can call 866-347-3292 for HughesNet Tech Support.

Data Tokens show as being available and appears to be using them. I took another sample today to see if anything changed but not so much-

Hope someone can look at tomorrow as this is really slow- I will be heading back to a friends house tomorrow that has high speed internet  as I can't perform my job duties with this slowness....I hope I get some resolution as I can't stay there for more than a couple days and nor should I have to leave my house to work...Appreciate any assistance

Good morning Maui1957,

Thank you for reaching out again, to test, have you tried disconnecting everything else but your work laptop/PC to see if performance improved?

I see you have two smart TVs currently connected, amongst your other devices; they may be connecting to the internet in the background. 

For troubleshooting purposes, I would see if isolating your work device makes a difference. Also, do you use a VPN for work? That will surely slow down speeds up to 50%-75%

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz-

Thanks for the response. I am not using a VPN for work as I understand that slows stuff down. Our TV is hooked up via an ethernet cable and not on the wireless and we are  not able to watch any streaming services without buffering or unclear picture. I have checked all the setting as this is the same issue(appears so) that I had back in October so I went through all the steps that were tried back then and whatever the tech person did fixed it back then. I have our cell phones not connected as they don't connect to much with any speed so we just use our cell carrier for those. I am working at a friends house but would like to see if this can get fixed so I can go back to my own home to work. 

OK. Currently I see 8 devices connected to your internet, for troubleshooting purposes, please isolate whichever device you use for work.

To do this, plug that device directly to the HughesNet modem via ethernet cable.

Disconnect any other device hooked up to the modem (the Vizio).

Then disable wifi on the modem by using this guide. You'll want to go to the section labeled "How do I manage my built-in Wi-Fi modem?"

Uncheck the box next to SSID Enable then click the SAVE SETTINGS button at the bottom.

Make sure to repeat those steps under each tab for 2.4 GHz, 2.4 GHz Guest, 5 GHz, and 5 GHz Guest to disable all those networks.

This will ensure that your work device connected via ethernet cable is the only one using the internet.

Try using that device and see if you notice any improvement.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I am mainly concerned with the buffering and slowness not allowing me to watch our TV.  I did what you asked and that really didn't do much. My TV has always been plugged directly and not using wireless for the very reason of trying to get it to run. I ran the test again today after being gone and the results are below. This still shows results as it might if I am out of data- which I am not. I just would like to be able to watch TV without delays, etc.   today's AVG is 1.98 mbps-This is not right....--after whatever  change happened back in October I was able to get at least 15-20 mbps most of the time...

Which streaming service are you generally trying to use, is it Netflix since you mentioned that in your initial post?

Are you having this issue with any other streaming service? (YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, etc.)

For troubleshooting purposes, try streaming your preferred platform on its native site from a computer directly connected to the modem and let me know if you notice any difference. By native site I mean, if you're watching Netflix, try watching from netflix.com as opposed to from the Netflix app on your smart TV.

Again for troubleshooting purposes, try this with the wifi disabled on the HughesNet modem.

Are you having this issue on other devices? 

Have you tried streaming on another device; If so, did streaming work w/o an issue? 

Does this issue happen at all hours of the day/night, or does it only happen in the evening?

Thanks,

Liz

Typically its netflik's but we use others with the same results. It's occuring at all times. I have tried the fixes you have advised and again I am sitting here trying to watch a show and its been playing for 14 min into it and we have spent 45 minutes with all the buffering that has been occuring and the TV is hooked up directly with a ethernet. I would appreciate a resolution to this slowness as this speed is nowhere near what you advertise unless I have no data which right now I think I have 49 GB and 40+ GB tokens...

Hi Maui1957,

Thank you for this information. My last post was just for troubleshooting to gather information, it's not intended to be a fix.

So that I have the information I need to narrow our focus, for troubleshooting purposes, please try streaming Netflix on its native site from a computer directly connected to the modem and let me know if you notice any difference.

By native site I mean try watching from netflix.com as opposed to from the Netflix app on your smart TV.

Thanks,

Liz

I am currently connect directly via ethernet and I am trying to watch netflix via netflix.com and am still having  slowness and buffering issues.  I also ran the test on my speed again and here are the results-

Avg today is 0.46 Mbps- not even 1

Hi Maui1957,

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

So every place watch netflix is still buffering- I understand you are trying to help the situation however the download speed is as slow as if I went over my data limit, which I am signed up for the 50 GB to ensure I don't exceed.-

HughesNet disclamer-

It will never disconnect you or charge you for going over your data limit, but you will experience reduced speeds of 1–3 Mbps once you hit your limit. That’s still enough speed to check email and use messaging apps, but expect buffering if you’re trying to stream the latest release from Netflix (or any other streaming platform).    

last test was .46- absolutely Ridiculous- 

Liz- I appreciate your assistance however, the steps of testing seems to be the same as I previous have done. If I can't get a connection better than .46 mbps and you are not seeing any issues however, I had good connect a few days back doesn't make any sense to me. I need to be able to work and should be able to watch TV. I have you guys to to that as well as Direct TV to watch live TV. I don't understand what could have changed in a day or two to slow us down unless its that we were pretty close to end of our period however, we had tokens to use to not slow us down.  

As I stated in my PM is I can't load what you wanted me to do and No I don't have another PC to load it onto. 

Good morning Maui1957,

Thank you for trying, I'm just trying to rule out possible root causes and get the information our engineers want to help them investigate your concerns. I'm checking with engineering for their input on your case so far. I'll post back once I have any updates/addition questions.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz- I have been working else where for the last few days but ran another test today when I returned-

Average today is 1.39 Mbps

Any update from engineering?

Hi Maui1957,

No need to keep running speed tests. I did just hear back from the engineer, he's interesting in knowing how streaming goes at 9 am. I understand the timing may clash with work, so please try at your convenience.

-Liz

Liz-

Just tried streaming and the buffering and slowness is still occuring at 9:00 am. Stops to buffer about every 1 to 1 1/2 minutes..

Thank you Maui1957, I'll relay this to the engineer, I'll post back with any updates/further instructions.

-Liz

Liz-

Any updates on my slow speed? I am once again forced to go to a friends house in the city to work for a few days as I cannot connect to meetings (video on required for some of my meetings) as well as other limitations that I am having. Again, I should not have to drive 2 hours to another location to work when I pay good money each month for service. We are going on 2 weeks and still no resolution.  I just want what I pay for. We only have 2 options in our area and based on reviews I read Hughesnet is the better one but I am beginning to wonder. How can we get this issue resolved? 

I really don't watch Netflix on Smart TV anymore but yes I stream directly using Firefox browser from workstation through HDMI cable as I already found this solution some years ago. Of course it was working for awhile using Smart TV's Netflix software but not as much lately again. By the way thanks for the notification.

Good morning Maui1957,

Our engineer is still investigating your Netflix streaming concern since you stated "I am mainly concerned with the buffering and slowness not allowing me to watch our TV."

However, if you would like us to refocus on your work-related concerns, which sounds like a more pressing matter since you have to go to a friend's house, please let me know what you're trying to do online for work. Are you using Zoom? Microsoft Teams? Google Docs? I suggest reviewing our work from home resource and try the tips there to see if they help: https://hninfo.us/worktips

Thanks,

Liz