Slow Speed HELP

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maui1957
Freshman

Slow Speed HELP

I had slow speeds back in October and something was fixed and its been working well. Now all of the sudden I have very slow speed when on-line and when trying to stream netflix. I have reset modem twice and am trying to run the required tests however 2 25MB test is taking approx 10-15 minutes to complete. 
I am out of data for the month however I have 29 GB of tokens available as I knew i would be running out before the end of the cycle and should not be slowing down based on purchasing those tokens....Here are the test results. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Toad1957

51 REPLIES 51

Liz-

I need both to work correctly so I can't really say to focus on one over the other. I have had training for the past few weeks and that is why I have had to go to a friends house for the past few weeks to have better connections for downloading data as well as conferencing on both Zoom and Teams. Training will be completed on 2/17 and I should be able to return to our home for the rest of this week and forward. I have been able to work around the slowness for work outside of this training requirement (which happens once a year). When we return we will then once again want to be able to watch TV (especially my husband while I am working during the day as he is retired). 

Appreciate all your help!

I see, thanks for the clarification. Even though your training is ending in a couple days, could you please describe the challenges you've encountered trying to use Zoom and Teams?

I would imagine that your training involves videos or other visual element, so joining meetings/sessions with audio-only isn't an option, would you agree? I ask because I recall one of the suggestions at https://hninfo.us/worktips is to only join with audio.

Regarding Netflix, I'll let you know once I hear back from the engineer; I already passed along your update that even in the morning there's buffering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz-

Correct for most of my meetings, etc. I will join with my cell phone for audio and via the app for just content sharing. During this required training I am required to join video as well and either could not join or if I got video connected it would be buffering slow and people could not see me or I would freeze up. Our training is done my a third party and part of their requirement to certify completion of training is to have confirming video of attendance. My normal day to day work based on current duties will allow that I just call into meeting via my cell phone.

Hope that helps

Thank you, this feedback is certainly what we want our engineers to see. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I am now back at our house and once again we are buffering every 10-15 sec when trying to watch netflix. I need some resolution to this issue. Is there an escalation path? I don't think I should be paying for something that I can't use. 

Any word from engineering? today's testing below

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Toad1957

.79 Mbps---unacceptable

Good morning Maui1957,

Thank you for your update, we just need to know how your experience is with the streaming, no need for speed tests until further notice. Your case is already being investigated by a corporate engineer who specializes in video streaming. I brought this up with our head engineers and learned that they've been looking into Netflix and been in contact with their folks, as engineering also noticed a change in  Netflix performance as well. 

You mentioned a while ago that other services buffer as well? At your convenience, can you please specify what other services those are and test them just as you did with Netflix? (Wifi off, computer directly connected by ethernet, watching on native site in morning and at your usual viewing time.)

I'm also sending you a PM with further details, so please check your inbox.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks Liz-

Amazon has been pixilated and blurry but does not buffer as often as Netflix- I understand focusing on the streaming as that is our most frustrating pain point currently however, I still don't understand the slow test speeds which is why I have been running them. I will no longer post the test speeds while my speed is under investigation.  

Hi Maui1957,

Thanks for letting me know that videos on Amazon Prime are pixelated and blurry. If you switch the playback quality to Good (I think their scale is Good-Better-Best), does the pixelation and blurriness persist?

Please also try disabling Video Data Saver to see if you notice a difference there and let me know.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz-

I am sorry for the delay- I did turn that off and it didn't make any difference. Any update from engineering?

Hi, thanks for letting me know that toggling VDS doesn't make a difference.

Nothing new from engineering since last I posted, but we typically check in with them on a weekly basis. I'll ask in our weekly meeting and let you know if there's anything new. Before then, I would also like to know if changing the quality setting in Amazon Prime makes any difference?

-Liz

Liz-

Yes, my Amazon settings were already set to good. Sorry didn't mention that...

Appreciate it-

Hi Maui1957,

Thank you for your patience while our engineers investigated. They've developed a fix to improve Netflix streaming and they're rolling this out next week. Next week please monitor your Netflix experience and let me know if you notice any improvement.

Since you also noted that Amazon Prime Video also buffers, we'll continue investigating outside of the Netflix issue. I'll keep you posted on that.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz-

Thanks for the update on Netflix.I hope that improves our ability to watch TV..Has there been in progress in why my  testing results are as slow as if I was out of data?  We were able to get 10 mbps or greater just a month ago and things all of the sudden just seem to go slow...

Thanks

Good morning Maui1957,

We're also still looking into the general internet performance as well. I'll keep you posted once I have any updates to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Maui1957,

Thank you for your patience while our engineers work to address these streaming concerns. Just got news that the fix was rolled out. Can you please check if Netflix shows any improvement? Can you also check if you notice any difference with Amazon?

If no difference try it with VDS on and off, any change there? Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

I will check it out and let you know how it goes! fingers crossed....

Thanks

Liz-

Tried to watch Netflix in the evening yesterday- Tried both ways with VDS on and off(no difference) and during a 40 min program it buffered 20-25 times so I can say that I did not see any improvement to previous experience. Smiley Sad

We will check Amazon sometime today...

Thanks

Good morning Maui1957, 

Thank you for checking and letting me know. Can you please tell me more about the set up when you tried watching Netflix last night? Was it on the native Netflix site on a hardwired, isolated device? It's ok if it wasn't, I just wanted to know under what conditions you experienced the buffering. If it wasn't like how we normally troubleshoot (wifi off, watching on a hardwired device) please try that as well and let me know if any difference there.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz

Tried to watch Netflix on TV wired directly via ethernet cable. I tried all the various combinations that we have gone over previously and no difference. I looked back on this thread and realized that this is issue has been going on for over 5 weeks now. I certainly hope we can get resolution to this issue soon....

Thanks

Thanks for this info, this helps the engineers understand the situation better. How about Amazon? They wanted to know how Amazon streaming has been. Same things you did for Netflix would also be applied; isolated device, trying VDS, etc.

-Liz

Amazon is about the same as it has been. Buffering and when not buffering its very pixelated and not clear.