Slow Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony_Oates
New Poster

Slow Speed

Wow, looks like this is common theme with all Hughesnet subscribers.  Extremely disappointed.  Not quite one month in and download speeds are horrid.  First day when it was hooked up, was getting 25+ Mbps.  After the first day noticed speeds greatly diminished with last 3 days averaging under 1/2 a Mbps, yet we're promised 25?  Using the testmy.net with both wired and wifi (hard wired had slowest download speed) and recording two latest results (prior results no better):

https://testmy.net/db/Uz4xIgCKZ

https://testmy.net/db/vhPDdGfu2

Not sure I've copy/pasta the above 2 results correctly, will find out after posting thread. 

While doing the above, called Hughesnet, spoke to "John" and was "promised" and "guaranteed" I would receive callback within 3 days.  Based on information shared by other subscribers, I'll not be holding my breath.

Need to get this fixed or going to cancel phone and internet both and try Exede. 

@moderator @Liz @help @support @help

8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Good morning Tony,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. We can certainly investigate for you. I've located your account and will see what we can do.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your patience, while I investigated, I'm escalating your case to engineering for their assistance. I'll post back once I have news or instructions to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

https://testmy.net/3TkycwfFE.png

Latest speedtest above.

Still no contact, not surprised.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tony_Oates

Testmy.net is having some issues as of late and Hughes is now open to results from other speed testing sites.  Avoid Fast.com, though, as it uses a LOT of data and gets tripped up by the Video Data Saver.

I've found speedtest.net to be fairly accurate for download speeds, and testmy.net seems to still be decent for upload speeds.  Speedtest.net's upload speeds seem to be lower than what I really get.    

If you are able, you may want to try a couple of tests at speedtest.net, and be sure to use the default test, not the legacy test.  It may also be beneficial to manually set the server to the one closest to your gateway.  If you don't know where your gateway is, I can tell you if you can tell me your Beam ID and which satellite you are on (Echostar 17 or 19), both of which can be found in the Satellite box on the following page...  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your patience, I ran new diagnostics on your site and escalated the new findings up to engineering for their input. Once I hear back from them I'll let you know. 

Also, what Gabe said is true. Testmy.net recently made a change to their site which affects their results so our engineers are open to tests run at other sites, like speedtest.net.  I would suggest using that until we hear otherwise from engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Finally received callback from support.  No wonder it took so long, tech indicated they usually receive around 400 calls per month and they're receiving over 5,000.  Understand.

Tech indicated that because of high number of people that's been signed up, satellite is overloaded and they're working to resolve the issue.  Sort of figured that was the problem.  To make up for the slow speeds, they're giving me a credit on my bill of $30/month for 6 months. 

Consider me satisfied . . . for now.  Just hope they get it fixed soon.

One thing that seems to be working for me.  When the speeds get unbearably slow, I'll cycle the router and it seems to help.  15 minutes ago, speed was around a Mbps.  Cycled the router and it went up to around 10.  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  Makes me feel better, though.  ha.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tony_Oates

It's actually not coincidence.  Each gateway is divided into outroute IDs, and each outroute ID is further divided into pathways, and when you power cycle the modem it chooses the pathway of "least resistance", for lack of a better term, when it reestablishes its connection.  Basically, the pathway that is most open at that time.  But, these things are fluid, so the pathway that is most open at the time may not be so a few minutes later.  

With that said, be careful when power cycling the modem. If you do it too many times in short order it can throw the modem onto a backup outroute ID (#7) that is often slower than the rest, and it will sometimes stay on this backup outroute ID for days, regardless of subsequent power cycling.  Because of this, I wouldn't do it more than once or twice over the course of an evening.  

Hi Tony,

Thank you for letting us know. Our engineers are working to address these concerns, and once we have any other news from them to share, we'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.