cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunlightbywheel
Sophomore

Slow Speeds hn9000

Hi.

My system has slowed down the past few days. I have reset the modem. Connected directly to the modem. Have been waiting because sometimes it does"Heal" itself but it still hasnt so I decided to write.

Everything looks good on System control center page.

Link to my test results.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Sunlightbywheel

Thanks 

23 REPLIES 23
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sunlightbywheel 

The reps won't be back until Monday, so it may be beneficial to get a few tests in tomorrow and then Sunday so they have a few day's worth to see.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, and they usually respond within a working day.  I'd also make sure to stick with the 3MB file size that you've been using for these recent tests for the sake of consistency.  

@Liz @Remy @Damian 

Edit:  I should add that, come Monday, it would be a good idea to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  I mention this in the off chance that you unplug your HN9000 modem when your'e not using it.

Thanks... I ran a few more tests over the weekend and is still consistently slow.

maratsade

Your file size for download tests should be 25MB, not 3MB, though it may be different for your modem.  I hope a rep will clarify. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Your file size for download tests should be 25MB, not 3MB, though it may be different for your modem.  I hope a rep will clarify. 

@Damian @Liz 

If speed testing should be continued, could one of you clarify which test sizes should be used for speed testing with H9000 based Gen4.  I thought 3MB was okay for download tests for that particular service, but it's been a while since I've seen speed testing with that system discussed, so I may very well be wrong.  If no more speed testing is required, please indicate. 

Thanks.

@Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for posting again. I am sorry to hear you are still having an issue with the service. Because you are on our Gen 4 service and currently have an HN9000 in which we no longer manufacture, we are limited on what we can do remotely. Right now, your equipment appears to be fully operational, however, I do see light cloud coverage which is enough to slow service down but not knock it out completely. I do not believe the weather is the only factor as it is not cloudy every day. Since you already reset the modem, please check for obstructions to the dish such as tree coverage. 

-Damian 

There is nothing obstructing the dish. Connections all Ok. Liz suggested the 3mb download limit for testing in the past.I assumed that was still OK. I do not believe anything is wrong with my equipment. In the past it has always been something with the gateway I am on or something the engineers have had to  tweek. Last year I had everything changed,new Modem and new head at the dish and it still was a out and all it took was the tech to make a phone call to their tech number. After 18 days without service and many hours on the phone it worked but there was no problem with the equipment.

Thanks

Damian,

There is nothing obstructing the dish. Connections all Ok. Still slow and having to refresh pages several times to get them to load. 

Thanks

@Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for checking. 3MB is still an acceptable test size for Gen 4.  Please allow some time for a solution as I will now need to escalate your case internally. You will see a response from me soon either updating you on the status of your escalated case or with a solution/troubleshooting method. I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We will now be investigating your issue deeper. 

-Damian    

Ok, Thanks

Damian,

Just Checking in to see if there is an update.

I was doing some ping testing last night. One I believe is google servers and the other I believe is Hughnet.

They bothh seem very high compared to what is ussaully normal. I was getting them with packets being dropped as well. I do not know if this helps anything but it gives me something to do while waiting

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3457ms TTL=115
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3704ms TTL=115
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1611ms TTL=115
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1802ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1611ms, Maximum = 3704ms, Average = 2643ms

Pinging 97.73.64.145 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 97.73.64.145: bytes=32 time=3148ms TTL=123
Reply from 97.73.64.145: bytes=32 time=1194ms TTL=123
Reply from 97.73.64.145: bytes=32 time=1887ms TTL=123
Reply from 97.73.64.145: bytes=32 time=1713ms TTL=123

Ping statistics for 97.73.64.145:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1194ms, Maximum = 3148ms, Average = 1985ms

Thanks again

@Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for your patience. After escalating your case the results were identical to my original diagnosis. Because we are extremely limited on what we can perform for legacy equipment, the best we can recommend is upgrading to our Gen 5 service as soon as possible. Normally we would recommend this to customers who are looking for faster speed and more data but in your case, we are currently unable to troubleshoot fully and detect all issues remotely.  I also want to add that the results included mention of intermittent cloud coverage which could be affecting the speed as I had also mentioned previously. Outside of that, your equipment is working as best as it can according to the diagnostics we can see. We do wish there was another way for you to keep your old equipment and fix the issue remotely but there, unfortunately, is no other option besides the one provided.  

-Damian 

I've been following this topic because I have the same problem: HN9000, no obstructions, all cables well connected, but service is so slow that I'm having to post this from my phone because the page won't load on my PC. I was wondering if there would be a fix, or if upgrading would be the only option. Now that that's been answered I've got to wonder if this truly because of old equipment or if Hughesnet is trying to pull an Apple to force us to pay and upgrade.
GabeU

@kboden 

If you're having an issue with your service and you'd like assistance, please start a new topic, which you can do here.

Regarding your suggestion, HughesNet has over 1.5 million customers, and that number continues to rise.  They have no need to "pull an Apple".  HN9000 equipment and technology is well over a decade old.  Whether on chooses to stick with it, upgrade or move on is entirely up to them, but HughesNet doesn't force anyone to upgrade, nor lie to anyone to do the same.

@GabeU
Yeah, that was mostly just me venting some frustration. I would start a new thread but there's apparently not much the reps can really test with the older equipment. I've been advocating for an upgrade for years but the person holding the purse strings can't seem to wrap their mind around a faster connection with more data being cheaper despite the equipment cost.

Damian.

The issue is not that I need a promised faster speed of 25Mbs. I am happy with my promised speed of my old legacy equipment.It really has been fine for me ,if it is working at even 50 percent of advertised  values. I am getting better upload speeds now than download speeds. It took me three hours to pay four monthly bills last night due to all the timing out ofweb pages! Please dont say there is nothing anybody can do! What about a tech coming out? What about changing a gate way? Instead of just looking at the computer diagnosis,how about some hands on doctoring!

Hughesnet I know you can do better.

I also wanted to add about the cloud cover. This has never been an issue for me unless there has been a severe storm to my south or very heavy wet snow. Neither is the case!

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using an HN9000 and am on a recovery act plan from 2011. It's suited my needs fine. I've noticed over this last year or so my speeds seemed to be getting slower, pages taking longer to load and page time-outs. I wrote it off to more security being required for websites using more data. It was slower but tolerable. Then last week it got way worse. I noticed my receive signal strength went from 160+ to 130 and as low as 118. Downloads slowed considerably also. I use the hughesnet dowenload manager to downlaod podcasts once a month. It's an old program but it's worked fine for years. I queue up downloads during the month and at the end of the month I open the downloader and let it do it's thing. I usually get speeds of 325 Kb/s and it downloaded an average of 2 to 2.5 Gigs of data during my bonus period of 5 or 6 hours comfortably. I tried to do it this past weekend. It started out at 325 but stated dropping and it was lucky to go over 120 Kb/s and mostly would only do about 35 Kb/s. It also used to start 5 downloads at once with them all downloading data and now only does one while the others sit at 0 or time out.

I decided to do some speed tests and they were in the 400-700 KB/s range. The probelm is the past speed test I did in 2017 showed I was getting 2100 and 2300. I've called tech support four times and two sepearte reps told me I need to upgrade with no other real solution. One tried to say I was over my data limit and was going to give me a free token. I told him I had 31.5 GB of bonus bytes in reserve and I was at 340mb left for the day and was unthrottled. Then the second rep did something in my modem that locked it up and caused an unrecoverable error. They wanted me to pay for a tech to come out even though this was something they caused. I was so frustrated I said no I don't think that's acceptable and said good evening. I called back later and got someone in the states that understood what happened and scheduled a tech to come out. The technician looked in the modem, downloaded something and I had internet again in about 5 minutes. Then I told him about the receive signal issue so he reaimed the dish which brought me back to a 156-160 receive signal strength. That made things slightly better but I'm still at about a 1/3 of the speeds I used to have. Pages are timing out and downloads are taking forever. I've been trying to get the download program to finish the queued up downloads for a week now and it's still not finished. I let it run for 14 hours last night and it's still not done. What used to take 6 hours is now on probably hour 30. 

Bottom line is I keep getting told I need to upgrade but the reason I'm on the recovery act program is for financial reasons and the new plan and equiptment is an issue for me. What I don't understand is why in a week did my speed drop to a third or fourth of what it was and for no apparent reason. My computer is only 3 years old, is up to date and squeaky clean. Cache is clean, disk cleaning, defrag has been done many times and this computer is the only device the modem uses and it's hooked directly to the modem. 

I get your frustration. No one really has an answer for me besides upgrade and no answer for the sudden drop in speed. 

Weldonhunter

I am on the  recovery act plan from 2011 as well. I know we have lifetime warranty on our equipment. It is not worded the way new warrantys are written either. You know the kind where the company says it has lived long enough and decides to kill it off!

If the equipment is faulty we should be able to keep the same plan even if hughes has to upgrade our equipment. Hughes did recieve money from the goverment for our service plans. Any how getting off being negative. 

I am old fashion in the sense that I expect hughes to stick to their agreed speed and service and fix it when it does not work.

Also we are not alone, I have a neighbor that has the same plan and the very same thing is happening to them as well and started at the same time.

GabeU

@Sunlightbywheel wrote:

I am on the  recovery act plan from 2011 as well. I know we have lifetime warranty on our equipment. It is not worded the way new warrantys are written either. You know the kind where the company says it has lived long enough and decides to kill it off! 

Unless there was some type of price agreement that's still in effect, which at nearly ten years is not very likely, there's probably not a whole lot you can do, unfortunately, other than upgrade.

Satellites have a finite lifespan.  When they start dying there's nothing they can do to stop it.  Only the Echostar 17 and Echostar 19 satellites, which support Gen4/5 and Gen5, respectively, are still operating within their designed lifespans.  All others, including the Spaceway 3, which you may very well be utilizing, are operating beyond theirs.  Old technology eventually goes to pasture. 

That's not in any way an attempt to dismiss your frustrations, but only to suggest the reality of the situation you may very well currently be in.

GabeU

Thanks for being quick to always answer. I know and understand about the lifespan of satellites .
I am not happy with the everything is all right and there is nothing we can do line! If Hughes would just say the satellite you receive your service from is about to die and we need to upgrade you. I would accept that. We do have a price agreement with Hughes and I do not believe there is any thing in it about a limited amount of time. I would have to dig out my original to be sure. My problem is not a price increase but with extending a contract that I am being pressured into taking because of their failure to provide the service they agreed to provide me with!
Like I said I am happy with the service when it works as advertised.
I will even say this that I have been satisfied and happy with my experience with Hughes over the years. Maybe not completely or all the time but for the most part I have.
I still will be if it is resolved but my patience do have a limit.

@Sunlightbywheel,

I wish that I could give you a definitive answer as to what specific technical issue you are experiencing but as I have explained many times, your equipment is too old to even get a detailed depiction of what is happening. Sending a technician may not be a useful option as there is no directive to give them. It would be a customer-requested blind appointment where the technician will run a basic test. If this is something you would like then that can be arranged at no charge. Also, there is nothing wrong with the satellite you are on, as the same one is being used for our newer service. I am not denying that there is an issue, but I am letting you know that our current tools are not able to help in a situation when the equipment being worked on is this old. 

When it comes to upgrading, this will normally start a new 24-month commitment. Because of your special circumstance as well as @WeldonHunter, you all may be able to receive support with this, however, there is no guarantee. I recommend calling our support line at this point and inquiring about upgrading without a contract. I do believe it is worth explaining to the representatives, as there may be a suitable option for you regarding this.  

-Damian