cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds now Im told to wait 2 weeks.

monicakm
Senior

Re: Slow Speeds now Im told to wait 2 weeks.

I'm going to give it a try.  HughesNet keeps me in the system for 45 days so there isn't  a fee for coming back.  I have a month with CIP.  Get my money back if I don't like it.  My consistent download speed with HN is in the 40+ with testmy but I don't think that number means much of anything.  Yes, I think it's the ping/RT that is the big factor here.  Mine is 720.  Their's is 30.  I don't do gaming.  Just browsing, You Tube, banking, shopping.  No Facebook. Twitter, etc.  Don't download large files.  I MAY do things I don't now just because I CAN lol.  I plan to go to the Verizon store today to see about wireless landline to save 30/month and get back some calling features.  If the lowest CIP package works for Internet, that's another $20 saved.

LOL, two others have looked into CIP and said they liked it.  Guess I don't have anything to lose by checking it out and a lot to lose if I don't.

Will probably wait for a month tho as I have a free month with HN.  If you don't have anything better to do today (g) why don't you give CIP a call and tell them you're calling for a friend that is currently on a satellite ISP.  I've heard nothing of throttling.

Gotta run, busy day.

monicakm
Senior

I consistently get over 40Mbps with HN but that doesn't make my browsing speedy nor does it mean I actually download a file at that speed so I don't know what good the testmy number is or what it  proves.  I'm sure the 30ms latency vs (my) 720ms latency is the the huge difference.  I'm planning on giving them a try next month.  I've not heard anything negative about their service from those that have it.  Their pricing is driven by the market.  Frankly, if I get consistent speeds and faster browsing with them, I'm willing to pay it.  If you are with HN you're paying insane prices now compared to what most in the US pay and for slower speeds so what's with the "It seems very pricey to me" comment? LOL  No one is on satellite because they want to be.  If it doesn't work out, I'll be back.

mjob66
Freshman

I have Verizon cell phone unlimited with a jet pack and get reliable, faster and consistant service than this crap hughs offers. What a complete scam this company is. I pay less for Verizon than I do for hughs. No slow downs, no slow loading web pages, I can stream movies and shows without buffering.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's interesting to see the different experiences people have. I have Verizon as well and it's very slow and unreliable (and expensive to boot).   I have no problems with HN.  I couldn't do a thing if I relied on Verizon.

If you have such a good experience with Verizon, you may want to just use them as your ISP.  

mjob66 wrote:

I have Verizon cell phone unlimited with a jet pack and get reliable, faster and consistant service than this crap hughs offers. What a complete scam this company is. I pay less for Verizon than I do for hughs. No slow downs, no slow loading web pages, I can stream movies and shows without buffering.  

mjob66
Freshman

Well, as I am sure you know, it is a 2 year contract. I guess I could change my bank account and then HN couldn't withdraw anymore money.

maratsade

Sure, you could do that, but that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It  has more negative consequences for you than anyone else, but you're the only one who can decide how to proceed.  

Another thing you could try before you go that route would be to go to the main Tech Support page, click on Start a Topic, and give some details as to what's happening with your system.  You may have to do some troubleshooting, but the HN staff on this site would get involved and they could help you figure out how to fix the problem.  If the problem is unfixable, they may cut you some slack with the subscription. 

GabeU

@mjob66 wrote:

What a complete scam this company is.  

No scam here.  It works just fine, and has for nearly fifteen years.  They provide what I'm paying for.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Good morning Farris19,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply with the needed information. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!