Slow Speeds - now and forever

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sber_paasch
New Poster

Slow Speeds - now and forever

So I have had Hughesnet for about three years. Recently I got a job that allows me to work from home. Since my wife was already working from home we had to increase the amount of high-speed internet we are "allowed". We have noticed that since the install, the internet speed (download) has not been what we expected. In so many words, only one person could be on network when my wife was working or there was serious lag times. We have never been able to stream movies because it would buffer every 10 seconds. Now that I am working from home with my wife and we both are relying on the internet service, I finally decided to call tech support. To sum up the entire conversation, "there is nothing that we can do for you". 

I did run the connection on Testmy.net and the download speeds showed that they were coming in around 30 mbps (mind you I lost connect 3 times during this trial run and while on the phone with tech support). Upload speeds of 181 kbps. According to Hughesnet this is "acceptable". 

What I don't understand is that for streaming netfilx it requires around 2 mbps, youtube around 2.5-4 mbps and for directv 2.5-7.5 mbps to stream, and I am not able to stream anything even though it shows that I am downloading at 30 mbps. If I was actually downloading at 30 mbps which the system tells me I am, then streaming would not be an issue. The upload speed of 181 kbps explains why I am not able to work from home or participate in video conferences, which to me is that Hughesnet not providing the service that I am paying for or come to expect. 

The only answer I kept getting from tech support is that my system is operating within the normal limits and there is nothing that they can or will do for me. 

Being where we live, this is really the only option, unless there is another solution. 

10 REPLIES 10
LindaLMK

I just switched from Frontier DSL to Hughsnet.  I am thinking I made a big mistake.  DL speed for Frontier was at the most 2.2 mbps.  Speed test for Hughs net registers between 37-40 mbps.  Frontier ran faster at 2.2 than Hughsnet does at 40.  I am so disappointed.  Calling them tomorrow.  I have some time because I know I will be on hold for a bit until someone answers.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Terrestrial internet has a lot less latency than satellite internet, so yes, DSL will seem faster even though the actual speed is less.  

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

GabeU

@sber_paasch wrote:

If I was actually downloading at 30 mbps which the system tells me I am, then streaming would not be an issue.  

Wide open system speed and streaming are two entirely different things.  A speed test shows you what your current system speed is.  That's it.  Streaming is affected by numerous things, the two largest of which are congestion and latency, the latter of which is inherent to satellite internet.  And remember, with streaming you're relying on how the server on the other end is reacting to your service.  

Right now the system is under incredible strain, and streaming is being terribly affected because of considerable congestion.  And if your beam is already congested due to a high number of users, it's going to be even worse with what's going on right now.  Ironically, wha'ts causing much of the problem with streaming right now is so many people trying to stream right now.  It's "overloading" the system, if you will.    

So, yes, it's entirely possible to have 30Mbps service speed and still have issues streaming.  

Depending on your stream resolution, you may also need to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver.

@GabeU wrote:

Depending on your stream resolution, you may also need to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver.

Given that people are working/schooling from home there is a tremendous overload of the network.

As such, please do not turn off the Video Data Saver, it will contribute to even further slowdowns.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

While I appreciate your response, if that is what you want to call it, you completely missed the point of the post.
This has been an ongoing issue for 3 years, so I am not sure how comparing 3 years ago to the current state is relevant, it is a mis-direct, much like customer support. It also does not address the issue that both my wife and I are working from home and we are not able to do so with any confidence due to the lack of download speed and reliability (as stated in the original post, lost connection 3 times while on the phone with Tech Support). I was just using the "streaming" as an example, which seemed to be lost on some. Regardless of that fact, even three years ago when attempting to stream, we were experiencing the same buffering issue. And being that we are working from home, we do not have the data saver turned on. So your suggestion has no merit to this case.
The other issue that I have is that Hughesnet is relying on some unknown testing site, which to be honest does not really seem legit to me. I was only able to find on obscure article related to the site and even then, the gist of the article was that when nothing else is running, you have this speed. Which is not a realistic measure of the actual speed, it is an aberration. If you utilize other sites, like some that make the top ten lists on checking internet speed, such as Fast.net, this give you the real download speed. Which according to Fast.com, we have never been able to get above 1.0 mbps. For a company that touts speeds up to 25 mbps and in actuality cannot even provide a consistent 1.0 mbps is a blatant slap in the face to all of its customers.
With regards to the system being "overloaded", frankly, I don't care that their system is being overloaded. What that says is that they were not ready for an increase in use and now that are asking all of their customers to live with this concession. What is Hugesnet conceding? Nothing. We have not received a break on the limit on high speed GB we can download, or giving us a price break, it is business as usual for them all the while the consumers are paying the price and making all of the concessions.

I will sum it up so there is no confusion regarding this post:
- For the past 3 YEARS, we have had slow to non-existent internet which does not allow us to perform our work duties, or the ability to stream video, all of which Hughesnet STATES they can provide.
- Customer Service has no inclination to review or even resolve this issue. Not willing to send someone on site to verify that they are not delivering the product that they promised/advertised.
This feels to me as a breach of contract on Hughesnet by not being able to deliver what they agreed upon in the original contract.

maratsade

"This feels to me as a breach of contract on Hughesnet by not being able to deliver what they agreed upon in the original contract."

There is no breach. 

*If/when they run remote diagnostics on your site and things show that the satellite is delivering data and normal speed to your site, then they're doing what they said they would.

Further, if diagnostics are performed and show no issues between the satellite, the ground station,  and your site, this would indicate the problem is on your side (could be your devices, your set up, your apps, the number of users in your home, and other issues), not theirs.  When the diagnostics show no problems on their side, they typically do not send a tech.  You can request one and pay the fee any time you wish, though. 

*The contract states that

Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed.

They don't guarantee the stated speeds, and this is spelled out in the contract, so there is no breach. 

If you still would like to dispute the situation with HughesNet,you will need to go into binding arbitration. See section 5 of the agreement for the procedure to initiate arbitration. 

Again, while I appreciate you taking the side of the great and powerful company, it does not get to the heart of the problem, again you glossed over the entire problem. 

Since it was set-up (by a Hughesnet tech) we have been experiencing these low speeds and the inability to perform at an optimum level/stream video. Also just because it shows optimal performance on their end, it does not translate into optimal performance on my end, regardless of the set-up. And if that is the case, the tech did not set it up correctly.

I have run independent tests at all different times all hours of the day and with only 1 device connected and still receive sub-par service (<1mbps). How you or Hughesnet can consider this "high-speed" is a bold face lie. 

It is cute for you to bring up the legal aspect regarding the breach of contract: *If/when they run remote diagnostics on your site and things show that the satellite is delivering data and normal speed to your site, then they're doing what they said they would. I go back to are they using a reliable source to run their diagnostics? Also when the tech ran the diagnostic on my system, it took over 5 minutes to run, that in and of itself speaks volumes. 

I am also fully aware that they don't "guarantee" stated speeds, however they do advertise they offer high-speed internet to remote locations that are not able to access high-speed internet. Well I have found that is not the case. 

I guess it is too much to ask for Hughesnet to take any responsibility for this. Again why should they, they are getting their money, and I may or may not get the service I expected. 

But thank you for your thoughtful and kind remarks that did nothing to remedy the situation.

maratsade

I for one wasn't taking their side, or yours. I was simply stating that they are not in breach of contract, and producing evidence to back this up.  

You can follow the grievance procedure via binding arbitration if you would like to pursue this "taking responsibility" issue.  

It's not like they can drive up to the nearest hub and add a blade to increase capacity. The satellite itself is limited to what each beam can support... in space. The load on the beam itself also has an impact, where streaming does the most damage.

On top of this, you need the appropriate number of customers to make it cost-effective and marketable to overcome the costs of nearly 20 ground station facility maintenance, the satellite itself and it's deployment, as well as a staff to run the business and technical side of things.

I'm not even going to comment on phone/chat support, because like most buisnesses it's farmed out to the lowest bidder and you're not exactly getting rocket scientists. That said, I can assure you the admins (and some of the regular customers) on this site aren't that.

Look, it's a balance that's not trivial. Absolutely nobody planned on a pandemic that would cause nearly all users to be home, using the internet all of the time - which is an extreme case that's causing most of the recent problems. The fact that this network is still functioning at all right now with the kind of stress/demand for resources is a miracle given the bandwidth that's actually available.

Ok, so you've had a problem for 3 years and nobody can apparently fix it to meet your expectations. I'm sorry, but if it's been that bad you've had the option of canceling with no ETF for a year now.

Also, have you considered that if HN tells you their network is working properly iaw their standards, it might actually be something they have no control over (e.g., something on your LAN that's driving your load up, or a problem with the gateway's internet provider)? Those things can be isolated and erradicated if you have the time to do some appropriate testing (and not just speed testing).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@sber_paasch wrote: 

The other issue that I have is that Hughesnet is relying on some unknown testing site, which to be honest does not really seem legit to me. I was only able to find on obscure article related to the site and even then, the gist of the article was that when nothing else is running, you have this speed. Which is not a realistic measure of the actual speed, it is an aberration. If you utilize other sites, like some that make the top ten lists on checking internet speed, such as Fast.net, this give you the real download speed. Which according to Fast.com, we have never been able to get above 1.0 mbps. For a company that touts speeds up to 25 mbps and in actuality cannot even provide a consistent 1.0 mbps is a blatant slap in the face to all of its customers. 

Fast.com mimics streaming, as it's designed to do.  This causes the Video Data Saver to kick in and throttle your speed.  A bit more research would have informed you of this.   

Testmy.net is hardly an "unknown testing site."  It's one of the most popular speed testing sites on the net, and for three main reasons.  Its options, ease of use and accuracy.  A little more research would have informed you of this, as well, as would having read a variety of speed testing review sites.

If you would like help for your issue via this support community, this is the first step that needs to be taken.  If may not be what you want to do, but it's the first step, nonetheless.