Slow Speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vantage255
Freshman

Slow Speeds

Hello all, I have been unable to get connected any video sites at over about 1.5Mbps.

Here are my requested speedtest results, and I will keep adding to them over time:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/vantage255

The speed tests show consistantly 8M down and about 256K up.   Much slower that I think I should be seeing.

Is this a time of year thing?  Holliday season usage and all? Or is this abnormal?

I am a new Hughesnet customer and am pretty well versed in networking, but I dont have a ton of experiance with Sat based connectivity.

Thank you

James

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

8 down should be fine for streaming, but if the beam is congested, then you're going to run into issues. Your upload speed is too low. Could be congestion too.  Have you tried disabling the Video Data Saver? Sometimes that helps. 

GabeU

@vantage255 

Those test results are low, especially with the upload, but when you're streaming have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver?  If not, this may be why you're topping out at 1.5Mbps.    

Regarding your speeds and the speed tests, do you see anything higher at other times of the day?  A slowdown in the evening is not at all uncommon, as this is when the highest number of people are online.  With the limited capacity that HughesNet has, the higher evening usage can cause quite a bit of congestion.

Edit:  maratsade replied while I was typing this reply.

I disabled Video Data Saver the first day of service.  It was annoying.   And sometimes I get decent video quality.  But even though my speedtest hits 8M down, I rarely see more than 1.5M on video from Amazon, Youtube, Netflix or Crunchyroll (All sites I use regularly). sometimes, I will see a spike hit 3M to 4M for a minutes or 2, but then the speed drops and so does the video quality, or I start buffering.

I was thinking that this might be something to do with my upload...  Pauses before segment requests, etc..    Also, while 8M should be good enough for video streams, Shouldnt I be seeing more from my speedtest?  The comparisons that testmy.net shows for Hughesnet are all higher than what it is giving me, so I assume that this is a pretty low speed as an average?

maratsade

" I rarely see more than 1.5M on video from Amazon, Youtube, Netflix or Crunchyroll (All sites I use regularly). sometimes, I will see a spike hit 3M to 4M"

Where are you measuring these?

Speedtest is not accurate for satellite internet.  You should stick to Testmy, which also happens to be the required site to escalate speed issues here. 

Maratsade,

I missed a question of yours there.

I am using Observium to SNMP poll the fortigate firewall that I have attached to the Hughesnet router.

I have a rather complex home network with multiple provider connections and several network segments.

P.S.   All of these speedtests (Using testmy.net) were done with the hughesnet connection isolated.  Isolated or not though, I see the same performance. So much the same in fact that it looks like a specific restriction somewhere. I can bet on an 8 to 9Mbps download and a 150K to 275K upload speed. No matter the configuration. I actualy get much faster speeds to the hughesnet speedtest, although I assume that is on their network and is probably not a great test for anything other than the Sat link itself. I have several high speed FTP sites available to me that I can see the congestion on, and I am getting very low speeds to those as well, about 1Mbps.

The number of connections doesnt seem to matter. I can connect to video sites, either the same or different sites, simultaniously, and the aggregate bandwidth for the hughesnet connection doesnt seem to change. For example, I can connect to youtube from 3 differant windows 10 desktops, one laptop and 2 towers, and force a 720P video stream on each. I can monitor my outgoing connections to confirm that they are all hitting different youtube servers, and my aggregate hughesnet usage will hit about 1.5Mbps.  all videos will buffer and/or not play. If each system is connecting to different video sites roughly the same thing happens.

Strangely, from time to time I see the connection speed jump up to 10 or 12Mbps. I have seen it hit as high as 22Mbps.  But this is infrequent.

I am still running the testmy.net test roughly hourly. But I am going to crash soon and start over in the morning.

Thanks,

James

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just out of curiosity...

What model modem do you have?
What satellite are you pointed at?
What's your Beam ID?

Have you tried to turn the VDS back on for 30-60 minutes, then back off, just to see if the system is stuck?

Do you have any metrics as far as streaming performance with VDS on/off?

Modem is an HT2000W.

Satellite Name EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID 17
Beam ID 97
Outroute ID 1

I have tried the VDS on again, I dont see much differance at this moment. Same with off again.   video still seams choppy. If I let youtube autorang ethe speed, with VDS on I never get bumped above 144P. But with VDS off, I am usualy at 144P, With VDS off I am at 144P often, but sometimes I am above it for a while. So that changes, but when I am above it, I am usualy buffering or will buffer is ANYTHING else happens in the house. Such as outlooks checking my mail or I refresh a webpage (Like this forum)

I dont really have a seup to take metrics on the stream itself. I can give graph images of the interfae connected to the modem.  I can show you what sessions the firewall has when it is in the path.  Not sure how usefull that is in this situation.

Hmmm  I seem to be good for about 4Mbps video streams at the moment.  HD is no issue.

Things have been good for almost an hour so far today.

WOOHOO,

Finaly got an upload score over 2Mbps.

Download still seems to be stuck at around 8Mbps, sometimes jumping as high as 9.

I am still having issues getting a video to stream without interuptions though.

I have moved back to being behind my firewall again. I dont seem to see any different speeds when I am connected directly, so there didn't seem to be a point.

Overall this is better speeds than my 1M DSL lines (I have 2 in addition to the Hughesnet), but While I am not expecting low latency performance (What I have the DSL for), I was hoping to have consistant video streams.

maratsade

What times are you watching these videos?  Also, if the are YT videos, they do tend to buffer and pixelate a bit.  I have very clear streaming from Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, but not form YT.  I believe it has to do with the technology they use to deliver the videos (someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I remember one of the mods explaining this a while back). 

vantage255 wrote:

I am still having issues getting a video to stream without interuptions though.

I have moved back to being behind my firewall again. I dont seem to see any different speeds when I am connected directly, so there didn't seem to be a point.

Overall this is better speeds than my 1M DSL lines (I have 2 in addition to the Hughesnet), but While I am not expecting low latency performance (What I have the DSL for), I was hoping to have consistant video streams.

Maratsade,

This is happening on all streaming services.  YT actualy seems to be a it better about it,  but this is a universal issue.

At the moment, YT, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Crunchyroll and Funimation all are having issues.  and have constantly since the service was turned up.

I am not sure it is the satallite part of things though. I can get a decent (But nor what I should be getting) speedtest result and various sites will perform as expected from time to time. This leads me to believe that this is congestion of some sort as opposed to a raw technology issue.

I have heard about issues where my "Beam" (I assume this is intended to refer to the RF signal between my dish and the satallite) may be oversubscribed during peak times, but this is an issue 24/7 and I would think that a peak time issue would go away at 4AM US EST or so and be good during the early hours of the day.  but I have issues at 4AM and I am still having issues at 8AM and 10AM and throughout the day.

GabeU

@vantage255 

It's very possible that the low upload speed is having an effect on your streaming, as well as the aforementioned congestion.  The high latency with satellite internet normally shouldn't affect streaming too much, but even that can come into play when other issues, such as mentioned, are present.  

At this point, your best bet is going to be getting more testing in at testmy.net, and during different times of the day, if possible, as knowing whether your speed issues are happening around the clock or just in the evenings can help the reps to know what may be the cause of not only the speed issue, but the streaming issue, as well.

Regarding your question about speedtest, different testing sites can give different results, including speedtest.   Testmy is the test required by the reps due to it tending to not only be the most accurate, but also because of being able to choose the same testing size each time, whereas most other tests keep going until a certain threshold is satisfied, whatever that threshold may be. 

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, though with Thanksgiving being tomorrow they won't be back until Monday.  Damian is sometimes on in the evenings, so he may still reply, but it's likely that he'd ask for more testmy.net speed tests, as well.  

On a side note, I normally can't even get speedtest to finish, as it almost always faults on the upload part, yet my actual speeds are fine.  I think it just doesn't like me.  😛   

Hello again,

I think I may have not been clear.  The speedtests I am talking about are all from testmy.net.  I havent used spedtest.net or any other ookla based site as I know that they screw with the Hughesnet compression based on other forum threads here.  So,  those speeds are all from testmy.

As for the samples,   I am taking one about every hour and have been since 10AM this morning (US EST.)  I didnt have an aco**bleep** to save them under till mid afternoon, But so far they have been pretty consistant.  I will keep adding to them. So far though, the performance is a pretty flat line.  8M down and 256K up..  or close to.

Thank you all for the info.  Seems like the performance is not what I should be seeing and I will hopefully get some support from Hughes tomorrow if they arent off for the holiday.

Thanks you again,

James

GabeU

@vantage255 

Thank you for the clarification regarding the speed test.  I thought you meant you were using that in addition to testmy.  

I'm not sure about the phone reps, but the reps here won't be back until Monday due to the holiday.  As stated, Damian may be on this evening, but he'd likely ask for more speed tests.