Slow Speeds

Freshman

Re: Slow Speeds

Modem is an HT2000W.

Satellite Name EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID 17
Beam ID 97
Outroute ID 1

I have tried the VDS on again, I dont see much differance at this moment. Same with off again.   video still seams choppy. If I let youtube autorang ethe speed, with VDS on I never get bumped above 144P. But with VDS off, I am usualy at 144P, With VDS off I am at 144P often, but sometimes I am above it for a while. So that changes, but when I am above it, I am usualy buffering or will buffer is ANYTHING else happens in the house. Such as outlooks checking my mail or I refresh a webpage (Like this forum)

I dont really have a seup to take metrics on the stream itself. I can give graph images of the interfae connected to the modem.  I can show you what sessions the firewall has when it is in the path.  Not sure how usefull that is in this situation.

Freshman

Hmmm  I seem to be good for about 4Mbps video streams at the moment.  HD is no issue.

Things have been good for almost an hour so far today.

Freshman

WOOHOO,

Finaly got an upload score over 2Mbps.

Download still seems to be stuck at around 8Mbps, sometimes jumping as high as 9.

I am still having issues getting a video to stream without interuptions though.

I have moved back to being behind my firewall again. I dont seem to see any different speeds when I am connected directly, so there didn't seem to be a point.

Overall this is better speeds than my 1M DSL lines (I have 2 in addition to the Hughesnet), but While I am not expecting low latency performance (What I have the DSL for), I was hoping to have consistant video streams.

Professor

What times are you watching these videos?  Also, if the are YT videos, they do tend to buffer and pixelate a bit.  I have very clear streaming from Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, but not form YT.  I believe it has to do with the technology they use to deliver the videos (someone please correct me if I'm wrong...I remember one of the mods explaining this a while back). 

vantage255 wrote:

I am still having issues getting a video to stream without interuptions though.

I have moved back to being behind my firewall again. I dont seem to see any different speeds when I am connected directly, so there didn't seem to be a point.

Overall this is better speeds than my 1M DSL lines (I have 2 in addition to the Hughesnet), but While I am not expecting low latency performance (What I have the DSL for), I was hoping to have consistant video streams.

Freshman

Maratsade,

This is happening on all streaming services.  YT actualy seems to be a it better about it,  but this is a universal issue.

At the moment, YT, Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Crunchyroll and Funimation all are having issues.  and have constantly since the service was turned up.

I am not sure it is the satallite part of things though. I can get a decent (But nor what I should be getting) speedtest result and various sites will perform as expected from time to time. This leads me to believe that this is congestion of some sort as opposed to a raw technology issue.

I have heard about issues where my "Beam" (I assume this is intended to refer to the RF signal between my dish and the satallite) may be oversubscribed during peak times, but this is an issue 24/7 and I would think that a peak time issue would go away at 4AM US EST or so and be good during the early hours of the day.  but I have issues at 4AM and I am still having issues at 8AM and 10AM and throughout the day.