cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Xbox download speeds

Amrobinson0351
New Poster

Slow Xbox download speeds

I've run numerous speed tests from various websites, including the recommended testmy.net, all of them have came back with >40mbps download speeds. During the same time that those tests were run, my Xbox Series X is downloading at horrendously slow speeds. Anywhere from 3kbs to 100kbs. Why is that? My Xbox is connected via ethernet to the modem. I've even tried allowing the ports needed for Xbox and Xbox live. Any thoughts?

And yes, I have already tried unplugging the modem from the wall numerous times. 

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow Xbox download speeds

Could you please post the URL to your My Results page from Testmy?  It will look like this: https://testmy.net/quickstats/username

Amrobinson0351
New Poster

Sorry, had to create an account first. Here's the link: https://testmy.net/quickstats/Amrobinson0351

maratsade

You may need to run some more tests using manual/fixed file sizes (25 MB for downloads  and 4 MB for uploads), but something else may be the issue, so wait until you hear from a rep on this site wrt that. 

Does restarting your Xbox make any difference? And do these download issues with the Xbox happen at any time of the day/night, or is it worse/better at specific times?  Does the issue persist if you disconnect everything from the network but your Xbox?

Amrobinson0351
New Poster

There, I ran it with 25mb download and 4mb upload: https://testmy.net/quickstats/Amrobinson0351

Restarting the Xbox does not seem to make a difference. I typically do the downloads during the day so that I can monitor my data usage, if I do them at night I can't keep an eye on how much is being downloaded. Don't want to use a lot of my limit. The issue still occurs if my work computer is disconnected from the network and shut down, that is the only other device that I use on the network. 

maratsade

Both the download and the upload look fine; the upload speed is within the 3 Mbps for the system, and the download is more than the 25Mbps advertised.  Hopefully a rep will reply and do more troubleshooting, or someone else may chime in with more ideas.  

MarkJFine
Professor

I'm no where near my old 360, but double check the settings on your X. If the UPnP setting is active, consider disabling it on the XBox as well as in the modem's wifi settings. For some reason (likely the lag) it doesn't play well over satellite.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amrobinson0351
New Poster

I did disable UPnP on both the router and the Xbox, no effect. 

GabeU

@Amrobinson0351 

Your test speeds are fantastic.  

Though I don't know if this is the reason for the issue, some severs react terribly to the higher latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet like HughesNet, giving speeds that are much lower than what you experience with other things, including the tests.  

Again, I don't know if this is what's happening here, but it's one possibility.  I don't have an Xbox, so I can't check what it would be for me.  I do remember a time a while back where about 600MB worth of Windows updates took something like 27 hours to download, which was absolutely ridiculous, as my overall speed was about the same as yours, in the 40s.  This slow speed with the Windows updates lasted for a while, then one day it was fast again.  

With this said, I hope it's something that can be remedied for you.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Remy

Amrobinson0351,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Remy