cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/buffering

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow/buffering

I just got my internet yesterday and it won’t let me stream Netflix or Disney + what’s wrong with it?
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Slow/buffering

• A deadly pandemic is affecting our country and the world. As a result of this, millions of people are working and learning from home, and straining ISP systems to capacity.
  • Additionally, HughesNet has deployed optimisation measures to help those who are working and studying at home, and one of the measures deprioritises streaming. 
  • As a result of these measures, streaming is not working well for many people, especially during high usage times. The best thing to do about streaming right now is to avoid it.

dannielle84 wrote:
I just got my internet yesterday and it won’t let me stream Netflix or Disney + what’s wrong with it?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@dannielle84 

You can try turning off or pausing the Video Data Saver, but even that may not be of much help due to the current situation.  

On a separate note, being that you just had your service installed I thought it important to mention that during your first twenty days of service your monthly data allotment is continually refilled.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy, in order to allow new customers to update or upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment, as those activities can use a lot of data, especially if the devices have not been online for a while.  Once those twenty days are over the continual data refills will cease and your data usage will start showing as being deducted from your data allotment in the normal manner.

I mention this to allay any confusion as to why no usage appears to be happening when you look at your data levels during this twenty day period, and then your data levels start dropping on day twenty one.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi dannielle84,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Your site has been selected for testing streaming optimization. Our engineers will be making adjustments to your system so you may encounter some disconnects/reboots. This will help engineering determine the best course for improving streaming performance for the rest of the subscriber base.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same here. I got it installed less than a week ago and can’t stream. Can’t use WiFi calling. So disappointed. Worried I made a mistake switching to HughesNet
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Joanziemiller68 

Unfortunately, HughesNet doesn't support WiFi calling.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi dannielle84,

Engineering will reboot your modem at midnight tonight as part of this test to improve your streaming. Tomorrow, please monitor your streaming performance and let me know if you see any significant change.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Hello dannielle84,

From your latest case with us I see that you reported an improvement in streaming, which is great! We'd like to make sure there isn't anything on your home network that may have led to the buffering in the first place, so please private message me the best contact number for you and your times of availability for a call.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Thanks,

Liz