cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed and uplink errors

New Poster

Slow download speed and uplink errors

Since changing from ViaSat 12mbs to HughesNet 25mbs my downloads have gone from average of 6mbs to about 1mbs even though the testmy.net or HughesNet test show good. Well this early 4AM testing did show only a .06mbs upload speed. Most of my downloads are for Nvidia updates (average about 660kbs download), Windows updates (which I start early during the free zone so hopefully I can finish before I leave for work). And my last android phone software update of 213.16 mb that requires connecting to WiFi took over an hour each for mine and my wife's phones. Which that was better than the previous 512mb phone update that was done in about 7 hours last time. Plus my geo location reporting is in Kansas, even though I am in Michigan and this causes conflicts with certain websites that need to verify I am in this state for the MI Lottery website. I haven't had this poor of service since the old Frontier 3mbs dsl line, which actually did perform better most of the time when the phone line didn't have a break in it. Each time I call in the general speed tests show just fine and nothing can be done about it so I am at a loss and may have to kick Hughes Net out and bring ViaSat back. Which they did have a similar problem and replaced the WiFi router even though I recall it may have been something on there end with the engineering level support and possibly was related to the geo location issue initially. If anyone has any insight or program that might analysis what is going on better with my system other than these general downloading test site, it would be appreciated as I really would like to work with Hughes to fix the problem instead of going back to ViaSat.
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Professor

Re: Slow download speed and uplink errors

To address speed issues on this site, you will need to follow the protocol outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

If you've already been testing with Testmy.net, go ahead and post the URL to your results page. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@bsm1962 wrote:
Plus my geo location reporting is in Kansas, even though I am in Michigan and this causes conflicts with certain websites that need to verify I am in this state for the MI Lottery website.  

Unfortunately, because HughesNet uses dynamically changing shared IP addresses for their residential customers, location services that rely on pinging that address very show its registered location.  

It's possible that using a VPN may get around this, but VPNs don't tend to work well with HughesNet and very often greatly reducing the speed of the service.  

Business plans do offer static IPs, but I'm not sure if they can assign an IP that is registered at or near your location.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry maratsade, the testmy.net results are not realistic to actual use there's was showing 33.7 mb/sec. Just downloaded Nvidia update this morning and for a file of 570.9mb at best I was getting 987.1kb/sec. I was getting a lot better speed with Frontier dsl and ViaSat which it looks like I need to drop Hughes and go back to. Maybe I will try one last time with another case # I just got and go through the b.s. again for testing just to tell me I have great service when it is far from the truth!!!!
New Poster

Thanks GabeU for the feedback. I will have to go back to ViaSat that resolved this issue very quickly for me and I didn't even have to have a business account that may or may not work... Between this and my junk download speed worse than Frontier dsl. I may give them one more chance with the current case#, but I will be at over a month of trying to resolve this with just the platitudes of I have great service because the download speed test say so when real world just doesn't justify it!!!!
Professor

The tests at Testmy.net are required by the HN engineers to have speed issues addressed here.  They won't look at your issues if tests are not from Testmy.net.   

bsm1962 wrote:
Sorry maratsade, the testmy.net results are not realistic to actual use there's was showing 33.7 mb/sec. Just downloaded Nvidia update this morning and for a file of 570.9mb at best I was getting 987.1kb/sec. I was getting a lot better speed with Frontier dsl and ViaSat which it looks like I need to drop Hughes and go back to. Maybe I will try one last time with another case # I just got and go through the b.s. again for testing just to tell me I have great service when it is far from the truth!!!!

Assistant Professor

There are lots of reasons why TestMy are used as a standard here, one of which is primarily because it gives a unified place to judge speed for everyone. Anything else is going to be different:

1. TestMy attempts to give you a realistic speed to TestMy. The speed to wherever you downloaded your NVidia driver is partially determined by the path to that site, as determined by HughesNet's provider (who does the routing). Clearly it's going to be different than TestMy.

2. If the link to download the driver used an https:// prefix instead of a http:// prefix, it is possible that the acceleration techniques used by HughesNet won't work very well because of the secure layer(s) employed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

@bsm1962 

While you're certainly free to cancel the service and any time, keep in mind that during the 24 month commitment there is an Early Termination Fee, which is $400 for the first 90 days and $15 less per month thereafter.  Without adequate troubleshooting of the apparent issue and an attempt to rectify it, if it can be, that Early Termination Fee will be valid.  

It's been two days since maratsade replied with instructions on what needed to be done to start that troubleshooting, with the speed tests being the first step, and enough speed tests could have been performed during that time to get the ball rolling with the HughesNet reps on here.  

If you would like to address the apparent issue that first step of troubleshooting will be needed.  If you're instead cancelling the service, good luck to you.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

GabeU Distinguished Professor IV; Let me enlighten you on a little history of this problem, since service was installed on 9/24/19 I have wasted more time and effort with the tech support troubleshooting call in's than I care too. So ample troubleshooting has been performed and here is one of my latest excerpts: Hughes Net 11/4/19 @ 0425; Download 42.07 mbs, Upload 0.06 mbs Nvidia around that same time was downloading at 957 kbs for a 576 mb file. Quite the disconnect from the speed test and actual use and this is just a small part of all the testing I have done on my own. Yes ample testing have been performed since installation and calls into tech support when I am not working and unless the download speed of their test shows an issue (which is only about 1 % of actual use) even though everything else is extremely slow compared to ViaSat or even my next previous provider of Frontier dsl, I am stuck with very poor service. I will continue to work with Hughes, but for only so long.

Good morning bsm1962,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. Your diagnostics show the HughesNet system working normally and delivering great speeds, 33.323 Mbps download currently. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you. The link from maratsade with the troubleshooting steps would be beneficial.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->