Slow download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave_rupp
Freshman

Slow download speeds

Several weeks ago I was regularly getting 1.2 to 1.3Mb download speeds. It seems like overnight the speed dropped to 50-60kb daytime and nighttime. Tonight I tried to download a .pdf and the speed hovered around 6 to 12kb - a real speed demon. I checked my download signal and it is about 49 to 50. The sky is totally clear. The signal strength used to be around 105. I have an HT1000 that was commissioned in November, 2012.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

12 REPLIES 12
Brooke
Alum

Hello Dave, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I ran a diagnostic on your account and also saw a low signal strength. I couldn't find any weather issues in your local area or your Gateway, but I did come across some error codes. I've set up a free technician visit to re-point your dish for better signal and to check out your equipment if necessary. 

Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. You can call us at 866-347-3292 if you need to reschedule; your reference case number is 116160918.

I hope this gets you taken care of!

-Brooke

Thanks, Brooke, for your speedy response and setting up the technicians visit to my home. He showed up right on time and the first thing he did was check the aim of the dish. The signal strength was 53 when he started and 53 when he got done. This is the only troubleshooting he did. He commented that everything in my system is old, out of spec, on the old satellite and the only solution was to upgrade to Gen5! He said the antenna was good and the modem was good or I wouldn't have had any signal at all.

Is upgrading the only answer? I have thought about upgrading before but the speeds I had (1.2 - 1.3MB) were ok as long as they stayed that way. I have been a Hughes customer for a long time (2006) - are there any incentives for a long time customer to upgrade?

Who do I contact to upgrade?

Hope I am not rambling too much. My internet is still only about 20kB and I need to get it fixed.

Thanks for your help,

Dave Rupp

Dave, thank you for getting back to me. Looking through your account history, it looks like not even a week ago you had twice the signal strength that you currently have, so I feel like the technician that came to your location may have missed something. I would like to send somebody else out to do a closer inspection to see if they can find the underlying issue. 

While upgrading is an option, I personally do not persuade customers to do so if they are satisfied with their current service plan. While many customers may be on Gen 5, we still have customers on Gen 4 who are content. If you are interested in upgrading, you can view more details about Gen 5 here, or one of our phone representatives can give you details and also upgrade your service if you call 866-347-3292.

-Brooke

Thanks again Brooke,

I would appreciate someone else looking at the system to find what happened. I have read that the HT1000 modem had issues and was being replaced. I don't know if my problem was one of the issues.

I have had my problems with download speeds over the years but generally they have been decent. Don't tell anyone but it seems to me that as more and more people are updating to Gen5 that my Gen4 downloads tend to be faster than they used to be. (Until very recently!)

My wife is in rehab therapy for a broken leg on Wednesday and Friday of this week and Monday of next week so I will not be available on those days. I am retired so any other day works fine.

Thanks again,

Dave Rupp

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The HT1000 was phased out a very long time ago in favor of the HT1100, however, I am unsure of whether you would be able to get one of those as the HT2000w (Gen5...) replaces the HT1100...  @Brooke might be able to arrange to get you an HT1100 if you want to go to that one.

To be honest... I am surprised any of the HT1000 modems are still working, they had some really strange issues.

Thanks,

I guess I am open for suggestions. I like the idea of finding out why my system slowed down instead of just saying I have to upgrade, but if I have to upgrade I will.

As for having problems with the HT1000, I have probably had lots of them over the years but I didn't complain at the time and just lived with it. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease)

Dave

Hi Brooke and Corrosive,

Several minutes??? ago my receive signal strength jumped back up to 112-113 but my speed test didn't seem to improve.

Dave

Dave, I got another technician set up to visit. After further diagnostics, I was able to see there's a bad alignment and bad transmitter, so the technician will replace your radio. I'm going to see if they can replace the modem as well with either the HT1100 or HT2000W; this won't affect the service plan you're on, but it'll give your equipment a small upgrade.

Your dispatch schedule is Wednesday, October 24th, between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. If you need to reschedule this appointment, you can call us in at 866-347-3292 and reference case #116218243. 

-Brooke

Thanks again for all your efforts Brooke.

Tomorrow morning will be fine.

Small upgrades are great!

Dave

You're welcome! 🙂 Let me know how things are running after the technician's visit. 

-Brooke 

Hi Brooke,

Thanks again!

The technician was here yesterday and replaced the radio, modem and the cable. The system now works better than it ever had in the past. He replaced the modem with the HT2000W and now I am trying to figure out how to connect my wireless network again.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

That's great! If you have any questions about the HT2000W, we're here to help!

-Brooke