cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds

Slow download speeds

I began using HughesNet in December, and it seems my download speeds have gotten progressively worse since that time to present day.  I ran speed tests today and got decent numbers (26, 28.14, 28.09 MBPS), but these numbers aren't matching up with actual internet speed.  I have tried both wireless and using Ethernet with same results.  I want to add that my IPAD downloads internet content much faster using the standard WIFI connection.  I understand that a little speed must be scrificed when living in an area not serviced by cable internet providers, but it's got to be better than what I'm getting now.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Slow download speeds

YForever, what system do you have? Gen 4, Gen 5, something else?  Also, have you run your tests using TestMy, or something else?

"these numbers aren't matching up with actual internet speed." 

I notice this with my system too -- it's very peculiar.

Associate Professor

Re: Slow download speeds

Most no website will go over 3-4Mbps loading, even on cable.  Speeds above that are only really useful when downloading large files, or viewing a website that is very graphics intensive.

I suspect that you may be feeling a delay that is caused by latency that makes it feel like things are slower than normal...

To troubleshoot, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.