Slow internet - Long delay issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Slow internet - Long delay issue

For a very long time I have been plagued with exceptionally slow performance with no resolution forthcoming.   Many, many diagnogistic tests and attempted remedies by HN claimed to have uncovered no issues.  This is not a data rate (testmy.net), signal strength, or satellite latency problem.   As I have reported before, the problem is related to very long delays between packet exchanges. 

I have run quite a number of "Connectivity Tests" with the HT2000W modem (modem was once replaced - no help).   Sometimes it reports delays of 620 ± ms.  That is fine and throughput is fair to OK.  More often the delay ranges from 1000 to 3000 ms or greater and throughput is very slow.  Occasionally packet loss  is reported, most times not.  The progress bar indicates many pauses during the tests.  Attached is a grab of the Connectivity Test from the evening of 20 November.  Check out the delay!   At this point throughput was pretty much nil in spite of the test reporting good connectivity to the gateway.  

It is obvious this issue is not something that I can fix on my end.   An effective remedy by HN is needed.   Any comments?

Thanks, Woody - KZ4AK

connectivity test.jpg

27 REPLIES 27
hamradio
Senior

BTW, during the past month, with no change in typical activity, my alloted data quickly drained.   An interesting point is that while throttled-back, there was little change in throughput.  Maybe there was a bit more buffering on something like youtube - but not much more.  

Another indicator of delays, not data speed being the issue.

hamradio,

I was looking into your account, and from what I'm seeing, we actually currently don't have any communication with your modem. I can definitely look into what might've eaten that data, but we need to get that modem back up and communicating with our systems. Please, if you haven't already, attempt to power cycle the modem by unplugging it from the power brick, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in.

Following that, on a device directly connected to the modem, please go to your web browser and go to http://systemcontrolcenter.com. Once the HughesNet page populates, please click on System Status at the top of the page and post what the System State code is here. It should be in a 0.0.0 format. This will help us find out what may be wrong with the system!

Thanks,

Remy

Hello Remy,

Thanks for the reply.  Power down reset done.  An update was done upon restart.  Connection via Ethernet cable.

Below is the Sys Status.  It is interesting that unlike before, the Diagnostic Code is unavailable.   I reloaded several times (CTL F5), still no diagnositc code. BTW, the 5GHz wifi is intentionally off.

Also included a tracert to HN and a modem conextivity test.   This time the delays were near expectations, but had a 10% packet loss.

Let me know if more data is needed...

Woody

Sys status.jpg

trace 1.JPG

connectivity.JPG

About 15 minutes later (morning of 11/24) produced this:

trace 2.JPG

hamradio,

Thank you for the updated data! If you could, please turn the 5ghz radio back on, as this may be blocking other potential state codes. I'm going to have this information passed along, and we'll continue to take a look into it for you! How long have you been experiencing these issues?

Thanks,

Remy

A few hours later, checked again.  This time retrieved a diagnostic code:

Diagnostic Code: 0000-0000-0000-0005
Connectivity test showing expected delays, still loosing 10% packets.
Also sending an email with a very small image has failed twice today.
...The 5 GHz wifi is now enabled.
Woody

The slow throughput has been ongoing for a very long time but the problem has gotten worse over the past couple of months.  At it's maximum "bad" lately.   According to Firefox, even file downloads often run at 10 to 20 k.  (pretty fast at this moment).    Have tried many diagnostics / solutions from both this support site and telephone support to no avail.

Woody

hamradio,

I'll have this information sent up to our engineers to look at. Thank you for the additional info, and I'll be back with you when I have more information! Please let me know if you receive a call from our engineering team in the meantime.

Thanks,

Remy

Thanks...  Will do!

_W_

Another observation...   The past couple of months my 20GB data allotment ran out about 2 days before being reset.  What was interesting is that for the most part,  internet throughput hardly changed (when throttled back).   Most things loaded as quickly as they did while I had "full speed".   This phenomenon seems to indicate delays (periods of no activity between data bursts) are the big problen, not data speed.

Woody

hamradio,

Thank you for the information! I'll be passing this along. I haven't gotten a response yet, and our social media offices are closed tomorrow for the holiday. I'll be back in on Friday, and we should definitely be hearing something by then!

Thanks,

Remy

hamradio,

From what I'm gathering, our engineers are actively working on alleviating your issues and are making progress. You should experience improved performance in the coming weeks. Because we are unable to fully resolve your issue immediately, we will be discounting your HughesNet service for the next six months by $20 per month. Our goal is that you will see performance improvements long before the six months are up.

Thanks,

Remy

Unbelievable, I just fell outta the chair, you don't see that often. Wow.Heart

Thanks !!  For the past few days performance has improved but still not "there".  Sometimes the connection checks are in the 650ms range, other times 1K to 2K ms, or more.  Also  sometimes getting a connection failure (suspect root cause is delay timeout).  A browser reload / resend the info usually works.   The perfomance / delay issued has always been variable, depends on when you look...  

I hope engineering can fix things.   Time will tell I guess.

Thanks again for all,

Woody - KZ4AK

@Remy 

The issue continues...  Still comes and goes.

Here is a connectivity test Sunday morning (12/6).

Capture.JPG

The situation has not improved.   Tonight is especially bad.   When it got really bad, I connected to the modem and did a "Connectivity Test".

As you can see delays like this do not constitute "high speed internet".   Is there anyway to monitor progress (if any) on the resolution of the issue?

Thanks, Woody  KZ4AK,   kz4ak.com

Capture.JPG

BTW, I got thie little image above loaded, but it took a full 60 seconds to upload it.

@Remy 

hamradio,

We normally get updates on progress bi-weekly, and I haven't seen anything in regards to specific improvements as of yet. We appreciate your patience and cooperation here, and hopefully it is resolved soon!

Thanks,

Remy

Remy,

Thanks for the reply.  Sure would be nice to receive some feedback.  BTW, my allocated data just ran out - 5 days before renewal.  My typical usage has not changed from previous months when I "used" less than my 20Gb allowance. Strange...

Curiously, for simple browsing,  performance while throttled back is essentially as good as when I had data remaining.   Makes me uninclined to purchase token data.

The fact that performance has not changed reinforces my belief that the poor porformance is not download speed related, rather the huge delay issue.   A testmy just performed indicated 3 mbps but  as I mentioned, connections nearly as good as when I test 20 - 30 Mbps.

Woody

Woody

hamradio,

Interesting that your data ended up depleting early, but there's always the possibility that one of your devices may have performed an automatic update, possibly using up some of that data! 

In addition, I would concur, the issues would likely be due to high latency. The most recent report we received stated that your area is still being worked on, and that more updates will be coming in the coming weeks. We appreciate your patience and understanding!

Thanks,

Remy

Thank you for the update.  Hope they can find a solution!

Interesting sidebar...  In spite of being out of allocated data, today I accessed this HN site much faster than usual...    We will see what the future brings.

Woody

Edit:

Guess I spoke too soon.  It just took one minute to send one short text only email...  Guess that is better than the "sending email" fails I was getting the other day (I am guessing time-outs).   Oh well....