Slow internet, Youtube starts and stops, Netflix never ever works

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doggylover2
New Poster

Slow internet, Youtube starts and stops, Netflix never ever works

Have been a customer for over a year and never met my data cap plan, because the Hughes connection is so slow we end up using our phones for just about everything.   Frustrated to say the least, but every time I do a speed test my connection speed is phenomenal at something like 40 MBS down and up something like 4mbs.  So, bottom line is that we cannot do a Zoom meeting using Hughes and that has become a huge issue as we are paying something like $100/month. I've called tech support prior and been told over and over the weather is bad and therefore our service is down. The service has been just as bad before quarantine, but now we need service more than ever. Some please help with this or I will cancel my subscription as I'm beyond fed up.

https://testmy.net/db/SU6TXozcU https://testmy.net/SU6TXozcU.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.26.54 AM.png

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

What you're encountering is likely a combination of congestion (traffic on your beam), latency (expected from satellite), and network optimisation strategies as a result of the pandemic.  The combination may affect data-intensive activities, especially when these activities are conducted during times when many people around the network are doing the same thing.  Not sure this is going to get any better for you, to be honest.   If you decide to cancel, keep in mind that must be done by calling the customer service line, and that early cancellation penalties will apply. 

When running speed tests, make sure to follow the required steps: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@doggylover2 wrote:

Have been a customer for over a year and never met my data cap plan, because the Hughes connection is so slow we end up using our phones for just about everything.   Frustrated to say the least, but every time I do a speed test my connection speed is phenomenal at something like 40 MBS down and up something like 4mbs.  So, bottom line is that we cannot do a Zoom meeting using Hughes and that has become a huge issue as we are paying something like $100/month. I've called tech support prior and been told over and over the weather is bad and therefore our service is down. The service has been just as bad before quarantine, but now we need service more than ever. Some please help with this or I will cancel my subscription as I'm beyond fed up.

https://testmy.net/db/SU6TXozcU https://testmy.net/SU6TXozcU.png

So you're basically saying that it is acceptable to have speeds better than dial up but slower than a DSL line, AT ALL TIMES regardless of traffic and prior to COVID.  So, I should just go pound sand and keep paying for unacceptable internet service, because...

I'm just curious, when was the last time you called Hughes customer service and did you resolve your issue in one day, or over several days or gave up?  BTW, tried resolving my connectivity issue via email and chat, pointlessly.

GabeU

@doggylover2 wrote:

So you're basically saying that it is acceptable to have speeds better than dial up but slower than a DSL line, AT ALL TIMES regardless of traffic and prior to COVID.   

No one said that, and your speed tests thus far don't reflect that.  What was said is that, regardless of overall speed, congestion and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet can cause issues with some activities.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is nothing the reps here can do to help you, as there are sometimes things that they can do to improve the service, but they will need some speed tests run in the manner instructed as a part of the troubleshooting process.   

@doggylover2 wrote:

BTW, tried resolving my connectivity issue via email and chat, pointlessly.

If by "connectivity issue" you're referring to the streaming and/or Zoom issues, please see what's already been said.  If by "connectivity issue" you're referring to a different issue, such as not being able to connect to the net at all or having intermittent problems doing so, please describe the issue(s), as this would be a separate problem from what's already been discussed and something that will definitely need to be addressed.    

Hi doggylover2,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@doggylover2 

This is the link that will allow the reps to look at your testmy.net test results.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Hughes2020

On a separate note, and for the sake of mentioning, PlayOn Cloud is a decent way to still enjoy streamed items.  It's different, though, in that you download a file that's created in "the cloud" from the streamed item, then watch whatever it is, whether a movie or TV show episode, from that file.  Any device that can play MP4s, which is most these days, can play PlayOn Cloud files.  And one advantage is that you can keep the items for as long as you like and watch them as many times as you like.  Another advantage is that there is zero buffering due to be played from an already completely downloaded file.  

Because HughesNet can't guarantee the ability to stream without issue, including buffering, PlayOn Cloud can be a viable alternative to the standard method.