Slow internet and streaming on Gen5.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Billy_Ray
New Poster

Slow internet and streaming on Gen5.

I had Hughenet install a couple of weeks ago, and at first, it was smokin fast.  The installer kept my Netgear router hooked up.  After our AT&T was cut I proceeded to unhook my Netgear router.  I put the cables in the right configuration as per the InnoMedia ATA set-up guide.  I get results of between 0.5 and 1.0 Mbps Dowload and between 1 and 5 on the upload.  My latency is through the roof.  Somewhere between 1000 and 1900.  AND I called customer sevice several times.  I was told that I was being "ESCALATED".  I see many people getting their cases escalated.  I was told 3 to 5 days and the engineer will be in touch with me.  Well I think this is the tenth day and no call.  Highly disapointed to say the leaast.  

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Keep in mind that they're working hard to fix issues with several of the beams.  What beam are you on? (find the beam ID by going to http://192.168.0.1 and clicking on System Information at the top.  The beam ID is in the box labeled "Satellite"). 

It may be one of the beams that has issues.  They have applied tweaks here and there and they have helped in some cases and not so much in others, so they keep trying. Also, they've been off for the holiday. 

My Gateway ID is 9

beem id 39

outrouteid 6

my signal strength is 72

GabeU

@Billy_Ray

Though this may sound like a REALLY odd question, but have you noticed if your speed is higher/performance is better with your internet while you are actually on the phone?  A couple of people have noticed that it is, and I wonder if this is some type of new pattern or just a fluke thing with them.  They couldn't watch a Youtube video very well, but when they were actively talking to someone on the Hughesnet VOIP service the video worked much better.  Weird, I know, but I was just wondering if you noticed this, too.  

I will give that a shot

Billy Ray

OK...I tested it several times.  I got .5 down before phone and with phone I got .2 Down.  I'm sayin for me this didn't help.  My uploads actually went down. Interesting enough, After I tried it with the phone my next test without the phone shot up to 3.76 and 3.77 Down.  Not that is smokin, but a lot better.  Did another test and it went down again.  All my tests are using the hughesnet modem.

So, some person from Anaheim (I suppose) told me that the engineers were working on my issue.  Still tonight .5 down...Maybe they should work harder.  Earlier today it was 7+....Get it together guys.  So frustrating paying for a service that does not work. 

GabeU

@Billy_Ray wrote:

So, some person from Anaheim (I suppose) told me that the engineers were working on my issue.  Still tonight .5 down...Maybe they should work harder.  Earlier today it was 7+....Get it together guys.  So frustrating paying for a service that does not work. 

I certainly hope that's the case.  

I would keep an eye on that signal strength, as well.  I know that signals strengths can vary from beam to beam and location to location, but a 72 seems a bit low to me. 

Where you looked at your info for the Beam ID, what satellite does it say you are on?  Echostart 17 or Echostar 19?  Here's the link just in case....   

http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information  

And it's interesting that your speeds were good until the phone was connected.  Strange.  Again, I hope they are working on the issue like they said they are.  

It states it is echostar 19.  The day after the dish was installed, we had a very strong windy day.  I will call the instalation company and have them check to make sure it didn't move.

GabeU

@Billy_Ray

I doubt that a tech (nor the installers) will come out unless instructed to do so by a rep or engineers.  The reason I say this is because the reps can acutally look at your equipment remotely to see if a tech visit is needed.  I don't know if they did this when you initially called them, but they may have.   

With this said, the reps on here won't be back until Tuesday, and though they my run remote diagnositics on your equipment, which may show it is okay, in the meantime you can get a few speed tests in that they will, most likely, need, especially if everything looks okay with your equipment. 

The following layout contains the protocols for the test, but I'll list some of the more important ones here.  Make sure to create an account at testmy.net (if you don't already have one) and run the tests while signed in to that account (that will keep all of the results together for the reps/engineers to look at).  Make sure to run the tests with a device that's connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (no WiFi).  This eliminates any problems that can be caused by WiFi.  You should also disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while running the tests.  That will ensure that nothing else is sapping any bandwidth while running the tests.  If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to use the manual 25MB download test size when running the tests. After you have a few tests run, please paste your testmy.net Results URL into a reply on here, which will enable the reps/engineers to see your test results.  To do so, while signed into testmy.net, click on Results on the upper right, then, when on the Results page, copy the URL in the address box of your browser and paste it in here.   

Additionally, though you can run a few upload speed tests if you like (use the manual 4MB test size for upload tests), and it would probably be a good idea to get one or two in just for reference, the more important tests are the download tests, and the download tests is what you should concentrate on.  

Again, the following layout contains the speed testing protocol, including much of what I just listed.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.