Hughesnet Community

Slow internet at night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve5

Slow internet at night

Around 7pm central time, our internet download speed drops to 1-2 Mps. After several hours with tech support they told me they were escalating to a higher level tech support. They might call in 2-3 days, no appointment, which is reticulum. I did find out that someone was going to call me this morning. After waiting all morning no call. I called again and they said they needed more test data. No one told me they needed more test data so I waited for nothing...they were not going to call me. How was I suppose to know they needed more test data. I have done so many speeds tests and waisted my time, which Hughes doesn't seem to care about. From what I have seen here, this is a common problem that they know about and just give all of us the run around. I have discussed this with an attorney friend and he told me Hughes is not living up to their end of the contract, run away fast! I would rather have dial up!
105 REPLIES 105
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Steve,

The service slowing during the evening hours is not at all unusual, though if it gets very low on a regular basis, that's something  where they may be able to jiggle a thing or two to get it a little faster. 

The system only has so much throughput, and with the evening time period being the time when the highest number of people are on the service, including on your gateway and beam, it's inevitable that there is going to be some degree of slowing.  Again, though, if it gets very low on a regular basis, they may be able to do a tweak or two to alleviate some of it.

It's not unusual for me to see speed drops to nearly 10% of my normal, of peak speeds during this time period. 

If you would truly rather have dialup, there's not much I can say about that.  Good luck with a Windows 10 update on 56K.    

If you would like to address the speed issue, you should run some speed tests.  The instructions are here...

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Make sure to use a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, when performing the speed tests. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And the plan you are on would help. If just the "up to" 5 Mbps older one then 1-2 Mbps is not that outrageous during evening peak time. Good news is there is a new satellite coming which should help folks on the older satellite and plans.

Like Gabe says, more about if the slowdown is over a long period. If just the same time most nights then sounds like congestion on the beam/gateway.

As far as not getting the call back when they said, that does seem to be a recurring problem.
GabeU

It's not unusual for me to see speed drops to nearly 10% of my normal, of peak speeds during this time period. 
That should be "off peak", not "of peak".  Ugh. 
maratsade

I would rather have dial up!
Really? Wow.  I had dial up before HN and was awful.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yep, dial-up is "up to" 56 kbps. People do exaggerate when having slow speeds.
GabeU

My folks still had dialup until just a few months ago when they finally got Hughesnet.  I had to do all of their updates for them.  With the exception of the most basic of web pages and email, the internet is practically unusable with dialup today.   
maratsade

I had dial up before HN and was awful.
By which I mean it (the service) was awful.  I wasn't awful, though I was pretty cranky.
maratsade

Yep, dial-up is "up to" 56 kbps
I wonder if they advertise it as "blazing slow speeds."

the internet is practically unusable with dialup today.  
I can't even imagine trying to use the internet on dialup. I wonder, though, if a text-only browser would work.
Steve5

Thanks for your comments. My frustration drives the dialup comment. Very poor customer service from HN. If it is going to slow at peak times then just say that
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And it gets worse as the copper lines age and aren't replaced. Copper phone lines are going the way of the dinosaurs. 
maratsade

Copper phone lines are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Indeed. Which is why I dropped my landline. The carrier wasn't very keen on repairing stuff (mostly lightning damage and apparently squirrel damage). I even had to involve the SCC to get the carrier to actually show up to fix the phones.
GabeU

By which I mean it (the service) was awful.  I wasn't awful, though I was pretty cranky.
ROFLMAO!!!
maratsade

My frustration drives the dialup comment.
I think they ought to call when they say.  I bet you have other things to do besides sitting by the phone!  Stick around here and check tomorrow after 9 am EST when the Hughesnet folks get here.
GabeU

I've had a couple of problems over the years with my landline phone, both of them being static, but they fixed it pretty quickly.  I only get two bars here normally, so I'm glad I still have the landline.  Plus, as I've stated a few times before in other threads, the whole 911 emergency service thing. 

maratsade

I totally agree with the whole 911 thing.  But I had just had it with the issues with the landline, and I realized I hadn't called 911 ever, so I took my chances. I wish there were some way to register cell phones with 911 or something, especially given that landline providers are not really taking good care of the copper lines.  I do have the sheriff's number on my contacts.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm old. Remember when things where shiny and new, phone lines, bridges, water lines....etc.
maratsade

The telegraph!
GabeU

I'm old. Remember when things where shiny and new, phone lines, bridges, water lines....etc.
The wheel, fire, spoken language, walking upright....  J/K! 
maratsade

The wheel, fire, spoken language, walking upright....  J/K!
Keep poking the Dog and he's gonna bite....;)

GabeU

I know.  He'll probably hack me and put ransomware on my computer.  LOL.