Hughesnet Community

Slow internet at night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve5

Slow internet at night

Around 7pm central time, our internet download speed drops to 1-2 Mps. After several hours with tech support they told me they were escalating to a higher level tech support. They might call in 2-3 days, no appointment, which is reticulum. I did find out that someone was going to call me this morning. After waiting all morning no call. I called again and they said they needed more test data. No one told me they needed more test data so I waited for nothing...they were not going to call me. How was I suppose to know they needed more test data. I have done so many speeds tests and waisted my time, which Hughes doesn't seem to care about. From what I have seen here, this is a common problem that they know about and just give all of us the run around. I have discussed this with an attorney friend and he told me Hughes is not living up to their end of the contract, run away fast! I would rather have dial up!
105 REPLIES 105
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow! You two are harsh. Puppies are freaking cute, don't care what anyone says.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

My folks just got a miniature dachshund puppy.  The thing is cute, but TINY!!!  They have to be careful that they don't step on it.   

maratsade

Puppies are awesome. Biased dog person here.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I actually do remember the Interstate Highway system being built. So there! 
maratsade

My folks just got a miniature dachshund puppy.
Pic, please (since this is a HN community and they may not like too much off topic chatter, you may want to to take a picture of the puppy by the modem, to make it relevant.)
GabeU

Well, I'll have to go over there some time this weekend and get a pic, but when I get it I will post it.  I'll make sure there's something there to give it scale.

Actually, come to think of it, I can maybe take it next to my folk's Hughesnet modem.  I forgot about that for a second.  LOL.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Tell the truth, this site is one of the few safe places left to just talk normally. The social sites have become sewers. I'm done for the night and apologize to Steve and everyone else for my part in hijacking this thread. Have a good night all.
Amanda

Hi Steve,

We're really sorry about this and want to help. We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us and let us know what is going on. To get started we'll need to locate your account - do you have a recent case number or the serial number from your modem? Using one of those, we can find you and take a look at why you didn't receive a call as well as take a look at your HughesNet system for any issues.

Thank you,
Amanda
Steve5

Here is my case number,Case ID: 101556137. I just want someone to respond to me and not waste my time
Chris11
Alum

Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting with a case number. I was able to locate your account. Seems you've been having some problems for a while now. The speed tests listed on your case notes are very low for your plan. I do agree that there was some misinformation that left you waiting with no real update. However one of the most important things to do when escalating, is to get as much information, which will make it easier for our engineers when looking for a fix. That is why we needed more data. We are on the corporate level and have direct contact with engineers. Even we need a good pool of tests before escalating. Otherwise our engineers, who's time is very important, will just ask us to provide them with more results to go off of. Making us back track instead of moving forward and getting you the results you need.

So, with that said even here we'll need some current tests. Did they have you run tests at www.testmy.net using manual test sizes of 12 MB for download and 2 MB for uplaod? That is the correct setting needed and asked by our engineering team. I also noticed your install pictures, and based off of the line of sight, there may be some issues. There may be a tweak we can do there, if our escalation is not able to bring satisfactory results. I assure you that this is not to give you the run around, but an assurance that we are going to use your information to get this resolved asap. The sooner we have the ammo to use the better. Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris
Steve5

Thanks Chris, I am happy to hear you are interested in helping me...Finally! One of the agents I spoke with had me do some tests on testmy.net, I am not sure about the test sizes we did. Let's just do whatever tests are needed now. Will someone contact me do those tests?
GabeU

Steve,

Chris won't be back until Monday, but the tests he needs are as follows.

Head to http://testmy.net/ and create an account if you don't already have one there.  While signed in to that account, and while using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, perform five download tests using the 12MB manual test size.  Make sure to space the tests at least five minutes apart.   Also, because it sounds like he would like some upload tests as well, perform five upload tests, again spaced five minutes apart, but using the 2MB manual test size for the upload tests.

If possible, run the tests a few times a day, preferably morning, afternoon and evening.  When you have completed some tests, click on "Results", then copy and paste the URL of the results page into a post on here.  This will give a link on here to your test results.  The link will look like the following, but with your account name where it says "yourname". 

http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourname    

Also, if you would like to automate each batch of five download and upload tests instead of running each test manually, click on Auto Test and use the criteria in the following picture, then click "Start Automatic Test".  This will run five of each test automatically.  You will still have to do this a few times a day, but it will make it much easier than running the ten tests (five download and five upload) manually each time you run some tests. 

(click on picture to make it larger)

montellopnds

Thanks Gabe, I was hoping an agent from HN would be reaching out to me...

I Still Need HELP!
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

The tests can be run by you at anytime. We need a pool of tests throughout the day, but also during the time you experience the slowest(at night). Follow the directions depicted by Gabe. Then post your results, with that we escalate. We can't be on the phone with you at every time of the day we need. That is why it is easier to have you create an account at testmy, run tests and post the account link. We and our engineers will be able to track and see all tests run from then on. 

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

OK Chris, here is the link to my resultshttp://testmy.net/quickstats/Stere_1

Hopefully these tests and all the others that I completed when I was talking with the first level tech support is enough to get my issue escalted and FIXED!
Chris11
Alum

Hi Montell,

Thanks for running all those tests. That is a great pool to start with. There is definitely something off about hose peak time hour speeds. Continue to run a few more tests. I will be escalating this to our engineers today.

- Chris
montellopnds

Ok Chris, I will run a few more tests. By the way my name is Steve. How long do you think I will have to wait until escalation and or resolution?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

It all depends on the engineers. In my experience it can take from 3-5 days to a week or two. However that is with changes being made, getting your feedback, then making adjustments based on your experience. So if some initial tests and tweaks are done and you see an immediate difference maybe not that long. With that said it is a day from thanksgiving, so we have to take that into account as well. I'll update you as we move through the process. Your patience and cooperation are greately appreciated. 

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Hey Chris, I completed a few more tests. I will leave this with you and will wait for you to reach back out to me.
Chris11
Alum

Hello montellopnds,

Thanks for the updated tests. I will update you once I have more info. 

- Chris
GabeU

Wow.  You sure do have some drastic drops in speed, no doubt.   A general slowdown is one thing, but 591Kbps?  Sheesh!