Hughesnet Community

Slow internet at night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve5

Slow internet at night

Around 7pm central time, our internet download speed drops to 1-2 Mps. After several hours with tech support they told me they were escalating to a higher level tech support. They might call in 2-3 days, no appointment, which is reticulum. I did find out that someone was going to call me this morning. After waiting all morning no call. I called again and they said they needed more test data. No one told me they needed more test data so I waited for nothing...they were not going to call me. How was I suppose to know they needed more test data. I have done so many speeds tests and waisted my time, which Hughes doesn't seem to care about. From what I have seen here, this is a common problem that they know about and just give all of us the run around. I have discussed this with an attorney friend and he told me Hughes is not living up to their end of the contract, run away fast! I would rather have dial up!
105 REPLIES 105
montellopnds

Ok, now the speed is terribly slow mid day today. I have been extremely patient. Someone needs to get me help ASAP! I don't think this is fair to me to not have my problem escalated yet. My first call in for help was almost one month ago. Chris, maybe this needs to be escalated to your boss. Let's get this moving towards resolution. Thanksgiving is over.
montellopnds

I am very close to packing all this stuff up and sending it back
knerkin2
Freshman

Thanksgiving may be over for you, but the HughesNet folk won't be back in the office until Monday.
ebartley

How many are having this problem?  My mama is having the same issue with slow speeds.  She pays for 10 mbps but never gets more than 3 mbps every time I have run speed tests.  When the Gen 4 was installed, the tech had me use Speedtest.net, so I have used that and the Hughesnet Speed Test and neither goes above 3 mbps on download speed.  I'm trying to help Mama with this, but I'm a bit lost on what to do.  Why do you have to run the tests without the router?  I need the speeds to work with a router.  Why does it seem like a lot of people are having the same problem?  
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Tests are ran without a router to see what the baseline system performance levels are.
There are settings within a router such as QoS that will traffic shape your connection under some circumstances.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hello montellopnds,

We were off Thursday and Friday, then the weekend. I'm still catching up on some things from the extended break but I will update you soon. Just waiting for some feedback. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Ok Chris. My patience is wearing thin. I called in today and worked with one of your colleagues. We completed even more tests. He gave me a case number #101686959. Could you please tell me when I can expect a call from the group this gets escalated to?
Chris11
Alum

Hi montellopnds,

I understand that you are frustrated. Our tech support hot line at this point does not need to be contacted. You are already escalated directly to our engineering team that works in the NOC. There is no higher level technician when it comes to customer site adjustments. As I said before it was a short week and it may take longer for me to hear something back but I assure you they are working on this. Like everyone I'm sure they are all getting caught up today, once I do hear some concrete feedback I will let you know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Ok Chris. Please make sure that whoever this is escalated to, they have visibility into the most recent tests that were conducted today...via the case number above.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hi montellopnds,

Your most recent tests were included. I already updated them when I noticed new case notes from today. They also have your testmy account link for those results and anymore in the future.

Thanks
Chris
montellopnds

Chris, my internet download speed is continuing to detiorate. My download test just now is 384kbps. What is going on on your end that I still have no idea what or when next steps will be done. This is absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever seen. My first call in for speed issues was November 6th. This is adsolutely terrible and frustrating.
aprilshankles1

how about slow and sometimes intermittent to access at all different times .. i could get better speed out of a snail and I don't like talking to foreign customer support people , they are very hard to understand , I am in the united states and would prefer to talk to someone in the U.S. that is understandable 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It looks like something may have changed.  Hopefully it stays that way. 
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hello Montellopnds,

I understand your frustration. With escalations it is always a work in progress. I'm bugging my engineer contacts as much as I can and they are working on it. It is rarely a one to two day turn around. However I assure you once I have more information to share I will.

Good thing to do at this time if you would like, is power cycle your modem, unplug all devices from the internet and reboot them as well. Then reconnect. This could help with any immediate slowness depending on what you experienced earlier. Or try connecting just one device via Ethernet for the time being as we help address your concerns. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris
margaretwarfiel

I have been with HughesNet for 3+ years with the first 2+ years being great! I used to average speeds of 15mbps download at all times of the day.  Since last spring I have been contacting Cust. Service numerous times to discuss intermittent ridiculously slow speeds of 1-2mbps download.  I have done 2 full tests on my equipment, spending 2 hours each time with someone that cannot speak English well.  Endured cut and paste emails back from Cust. Service with the same canned response. Had case numbers opened and quickly closed and nobody will listen.  Thanks to this forum, I have saved my speed tests to prove my speeds slow down from 3pm - 10pm every night.  I'm sure it's due to HughesNet over selling and overloading the satellites.  So much for getting what you pay for.  Here is a recent two day test (and some tests from earlier)

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Warfield

Also, hoping a representative on here can help.  The number on my modem is S/N B3 0010126936 AS.  I would be so grateful for some assistance!

montellopnds

I have been waiting for the next level of technical support to contact me for nearly one month. I am beginning to wonder is there really is a second level. I have been looking online for the CEO's email address. There is no sense of urgency in helping me or many others get resolution. Maybe Pradman Kaul could help.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

montellopnds,

Usually once a problem has been escalated to Engineering the Engineer does not contact the subscriber directly.

They instead take the speed test data and remote diagnostic reports and tweak the system and perhaps run further tests on their own. They also communicate there progress/findings with the Community Mods so that your input can be had.

As Chris stated earlier it is not a one or two day turnaround.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

margaretwarfield,

It's great that you've created the account at testmy.net and have run the tests under that account.  You're one step ahead of most if this problem crops up. 

Three things, though. 

First, to get help for your individual issue, it would be best for you to start your own post, which you can do by clicking on the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  You can even just copy/paste into the new post what you have already written here.  This will keep separate your issue and cut down the possibility of confusion.

Secondly, make sure, if you aren't already, to be connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, when performing the tests.

Thirdly, from now on, make sure to use the manual test size of 12MB for download tests and 2MB for upload tests (if you are asked to run any upload tests, that is).  Also, if when running your download tests with the 12MB test size you find that the tests often resize to something larger (which, judging by your results, they sometimes will), you can use the 15MB manual test size.  The 12MB test is set up to resize to something larger if the test doesn't last at least seven seconds, which, if it often resizes to something considerably larger, can be a waste of data.  The 15MB test is set up to NOT resize, and no matter if it takes 30 seconds or three seconds, it will remain at 15MB.  So, again, if you find that the 12MB manual test size often resizes to something larger, go ahead and use the 15MB test size for your download tests.   

margaretwarfiel

Thank you GabeU.  I will start a new post and test accordingly to your suggestions.
richknox
Sophomore

We have just started getting extremely slow service every night. My tests are running in the 0.75 mps range and sometimes even slower. I don't know what has happened to the service but it was not that slow before. I live in a rural area and this is my only option for internet.
montellopnds

Chris, one other thing I have noticed about our service is the amount of data we are consuming. My wife and I are normally the only ones using the service. We do not stream anything, primarily use the service for email, Facebook and a little on line shopping. We are burning through 10GB quickly. In some cases less than two weeks. We have an apple desktop, two iPads and two iPhones. We don't have a lot of history yet, but this seems excessive to me. Please pass this info on the engineers.

Thanks