Hughesnet Community

Slow internet at night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve5

Slow internet at night

Around 7pm central time, our internet download speed drops to 1-2 Mps. After several hours with tech support they told me they were escalating to a higher level tech support. They might call in 2-3 days, no appointment, which is reticulum. I did find out that someone was going to call me this morning. After waiting all morning no call. I called again and they said they needed more test data. No one told me they needed more test data so I waited for nothing...they were not going to call me. How was I suppose to know they needed more test data. I have done so many speeds tests and waisted my time, which Hughes doesn't seem to care about. From what I have seen here, this is a common problem that they know about and just give all of us the run around. I have discussed this with an attorney friend and he told me Hughes is not living up to their end of the contract, run away fast! I would rather have dial up!
105 REPLIES 105
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Steve,

Are you using whatever it is you have on your devices (I know an Apple desktop has the Activity Monitor) to monitor the data usage on them?  I've seen in the past where people have had problems with data consumption and it turned out that it was their Apple devices that were using an excessive amount, though I don't recall what was using it.  I don't have any Apple devices. 

Are any of them connecting to the iCloud? 

montellopnds

Thanks Gabe. I turned all of the iCloud setting off, don't need or use it anyway. I also shut off automatic video play on FB. I will look into the activity monitor for apple. I was hoping 10GB would be enough for me and my wife. We don't stream.
Chris11
Alum

Hello richknow,

We'd love to assist you. Please create a new post with more details and we can get started.

Thank you,
Chris
montellopnds

Hey Chris, any update for me? At 6:30pm central time my internet download speed is .55MPS and .04MPS upload. It has been three weeks since I put my initial post here and my slow internet speed has not improved.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Montellopnds,

At the moment there is no update. I've been trying to get in contact with our engineers to get some type of info for you with no success. I think this is a busy period for them. For any inconvenience this is causing I will make sure to credit your account in the mean time. I'll keep bugging them until I get some concrete info.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Chris, is there another place we can discuss my situation rather than this community? Can you call me ?
Chris11
Alum

Hello Steve,

I can have a case manager contact you. Within 1 or 2 business days. What is the best range of time to reach you?

- Chris
montellopnds

Late afternoon or evening would work best. If that person or you could give me 24 hour notice that would be great
ljhouston99

Me too, There are a lot of reoccurring problems at hughesnet
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

We'll have someone contact you around this time tomorrow then.

- Chris
montellopnds

Well Chris, here we go again. You told me someone would contact me today and no one did. After weeks of patiently waiting for the next level of technical support...my internet is still slow and not a word from anyone other than you. This really needs to get escalated, this is absolutely beyond the worst customer service experience ever.
montellopnds

Chris, what's going on now? We are now over 4 weeks into this issue and I don't know any more now than I did when I first contacted you
Chris11
Alum

Hello Steve,

I apologize for the delay in response. I was hoping to hear back from my engineer contact before the end of the day. I will hopefully still be able to get an update you. However they have been working on your site so hopefully you start to see some improvement.

I got word that you contacted our corporate office today and spoke to one of our executive support. If I have furthered your bad experience with our service I am sorry. I should have updated you quicker. I wanted to get some concrete information to you instead of stalling.

As for the phone call I was out of the office last Friday, and couldn't be here to make sure that it would follow through. I do ultimately believe we can resolve this for you. As soon as I have word from the engineers I will update you again.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

I received some new information from our engineers. Based on the tests and diagnostics run, our engineers only noticed a dip in speeds during usual peak times of the day. Meaning, when most people are home and using the internet. Which is normal. At no point did they see in the span of 24 hours a drop below 60% in advertised speeds for your plan.

What they did recommend is sending out a tech to check your system cabling, LAN cables, and any other essential connections. There may be an issue there that is causing all of this. I would like to get someone out to you as soon as possible. What is a good day and time to send one out? We'll try our best to accommodate. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Ok Chris, this Friday 12/16 would work for me in the morning. I could also be available on Monday 12/19 or Wednesday 12/21. I would also like to know if download speeds of 500KB at night is normal. Those were my results last night at 7:30.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for Friday, Dec 16, 2016 between 02:00 PM-05:00 PM. I hope this time range is suitable. If anything changes and you would like to reschedule give us a call on our support hotline to get immediate assistance. Or post back here with details. I've left specific instructions for the tech to check all cabling and even bring their own computer to test with as well. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Ok, I re-schedule some plans I had and be here for that appointment
Chris11
Alum

Hello Steve,

Sounds good, Let us know if anything comes up. I hope this improves your experience.

- Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

I got word that during your tech visit, most of your equipment was switched out. Except for the modem. So, I have created an order for a replacement to be sent out to you. You should receive it within a few days. All you'll need to do is swap them out and send us the old one back in the same box. There is no charge for this. If for any reason you run into issues after the swap please give us a call or post back here.

You also inquired about a potential plan change. Changing your plan would put you on a different gateway, potentially improving your experience. However It is not a guarantee. The highest and next plan up would be Pro Plus. Pro Plus increases upload speed from 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps, and 5 GB of more data. We can do this at the current price you are paying. If that is something you would like to try please let me know and I'll make the change.

Thanks,
Chris
montellopnds

Thanks Chris, I will watch for the modem and get that changed out and returned.

I would like to take you up on the plan upgrade at our current plan cost.

I am also requesting an allotment of 20GB of data be added to my account for all the upload and download testing we have done for the last 2 months.

Finally, is it normal that our download speed will fall to 500KB or less in the evening?

I appreciate all your help with this...thank you
Steve
Chris11
Alum

Hi Steve,

That is very low even for the evening. Hopefully the final swap of the modem will change things. I've upgraded your plan at the same price and added token bandwidth to your account. Keep us posted once you've received the modem.

Thanks,
Chris