cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet at night

Instructor

Re: Slow internet at night

And it gets worse as the copper lines age and aren't replaced. Copper phone lines are going the way of the dinosaurs. 
Assistant Professor

Copper phone lines are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Indeed. Which is why I dropped my landline. The carrier wasn't very keen on repairing stuff (mostly lightning damage and apparently squirrel damage). I even had to involve the SCC to get the carrier to actually show up to fix the phones.
Distinguished Professor I

By which I mean it (the service) was awful.  I wasn't awful, though I was pretty cranky.
ROFLMAO!!!

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

My frustration drives the dialup comment.
I think they ought to call when they say.  I bet you have other things to do besides sitting by the phone!  Stick around here and check tomorrow after 9 am EST when the Hughesnet folks get here.

I've had a couple of problems over the years with my landline phone, both of them being static, but they fixed it pretty quickly.  I only get two bars here normally, so I'm glad I still have the landline.  Plus, as I've stated a few times before in other threads, the whole 911 emergency service thing. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

I totally agree with the whole 911 thing.  But I had just had it with the issues with the landline, and I realized I hadn't called 911 ever, so I took my chances. I wish there were some way to register cell phones with 911 or something, especially given that landline providers are not really taking good care of the copper lines.  I do have the sheriff's number on my contacts.
Instructor

I'm old. Remember when things where shiny and new, phone lines, bridges, water lines....etc.
Assistant Professor

The telegraph!

I'm old. Remember when things where shiny and new, phone lines, bridges, water lines....etc.
The wheel, fire, spoken language, walking upright....  J/K! 

Assistant Professor

The wheel, fire, spoken language, walking upright....  J/K!
Keep poking the Dog and he's gonna bite....Smiley Wink