Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

Highlighted
Spectator

Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

Newly installed hughesnet internet.

Normal internet usage is painfully slow. Websites load slowly, social media constantly buffering and not loading, video calls for work are interrupted, etc.

When I run speed tests, the numbers come back high, like more than 40mbps. But this is NOT a 40mbps internet experience.

What are my options?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/mgreene

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

You are probably suffering from a combination of congestion, latency, and network optimisation that prioritises some things and not others. Satellite internet has been hit hard by everyone staying at home to work and study.

It probably isn't going to get better any time soon, though HughesNet continues tweaking things to optimise everyone's experience, and they have succeeded in fixing a lot of stuff already, so you may just have to wait a bit. 

moosecreeklane wrote:

Newly installed hughesnet internet.

Normal internet usage is painfully slow. Websites load slowly, social media constantly buffering and not loading, video calls for work are interrupted, etc.

When I run speed tests, the numbers come back high, like more than 40mbps. But this is NOT a 40mbps internet experience.

What are my options?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/mgreene

Highlighted
Freshman

Just wanted to commiserate -- same exact story here in BFE Nevada. Hughes is still charging full price for less than half the service. Yet on chat yesterday, a rep named Eder ignored questions then (hung up on me?) when I expressed curiosity about the speed situation and the price of it. I asked what to do/how to afford their service when I must be able to work online in order to pay the bill! I had to drop from the 30G plan to 20G because the service is so slow I'd have to sit at my desk 24/7 loading byte at a time in order to even use up that much data. A bit crazy-making.

Highlighted

• Satellite internet has been hit hard by everyone staying at home to work and study.
  • Bandwidth for satellite systems is finite and can't be added to without a lot of time and expense, so HughesNet does the next best thing and optimises the network as much as they can. 
  • This optimisation may still not work for everyone and is probably dependent on specific beams, and you may be in a very congested beam.
  • The issue probably isn't going to get better any time soon, even with HughesNet working round the clock.
  • If it doesn't work for you I would explore other options if available. 
  • I imagine this is likely not what you want to hear, but it's the reality of satellite internet systems in times like what we're going through now, and while commiserating is nice, this site is for tech support, so it'd be more effective if you helped, or if you sought help.  If you just want to commiserate, you ought to go to a social media site.

erehwontsol wrote:

Just wanted to commiserate -- same exact story here in BFE Nevada. Hughes is still charging full price for less than half the service. Yet on chat yesterday, a rep named Eder ignored questions then (hung up on me?) when I expressed curiosity about the speed situation and the price of it. I asked what to do/how to afford their service when I must be able to work online in order to pay the bill! I had to drop from the 30G plan to 20G because the service is so slow I'd have to sit at my desk 24/7 loading byte at a time in order to even use up that much data. A bit crazy-making.

Highlighted
Junior

@erehwontsol wrote:

I had to drop from the 30G plan to 20G 

Yeah, that's one thing that has sort of been bothering me during this time.  What exactly are folks (including myself) paying for if we have a plan above the minimum?  From what I can tell, it's not clear that there actually is any real tiering to the plans given that data caps have been relaxed, and more importantly, the network performance is less than the marketed throttling speeds that I'd get if I went over the cap anyhow.

Maybe HN should consider no longer selling different capacity plans and/or putting all existing customers on a base plan, since that's really the performance we are getting.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael57 

Maybe that's your experience, but the plans are what they are for people to have more high speed data before being throttled.  Increased throttle speed does not mean no throttling, and those who exhaust their monthly allotment of high speed data will still be throttled.  There is no reason whatsoever for HughesNet to eliminate the plans.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Junior

Do you have data to indicate the percentage of subscribers regularly getting above the published throttled speeds, which if memory serves is 1-3mbps?  I don't, so I can't say with any real authority what should be done, but without that data it's also hard to argue the flip side, especially with terms like "no reason whatsoever".  At the very least, some homogenization of plans should be looked at given that the current state is likely to persist for some time.

I joined just about 2 months ago and have yet to get above those marketed throttled speeds, unless I'm doing a speed test.  That point is important because it implies my results are a caused by prioritization/congestion and would be the systemic for others browsing the same content.  What would my experience be if I went over my data cap?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael57 wrote:

At the very least, some homogenization of plans should be looked at given that the current state is likely to persist for some time.

Why?  Because of your alleged speed issues?  

There's no reason to remove customers' ability to choose how much high speed data they get because of your alleged speed issues.  None.  

If you want to drop to lower plan level, have at it.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Junior

The speed is a symptom, caused by increased congestion which is forcing prioritization according to HN's own announcements .  Priortization is occurring to presumably, large swaths of customers, if not every customer.  Given that this situation has been going on for a couple of months and likely to continue for many more, it's starts to get disingenuous to continue to offer and charge for an unrealistic level of service, so a review is indeed warranted.

I'm not suggesting my price needs to be lowered, but I am suggesting that the parameters that distinguish the plans may no longer make much sense.  This isn't specific to HN, lots of industries and corporations are doing and/or have done similar reviews. 

Lastly, ease up a bit on the attitude, I'm not here bashing HN nor are my comments based solely on my specific experience.  As has been said here many times by representatives of HN (and even yourself) congestion is high, priortization is occurring, caps are being modified, and it's clear that the combinations of those things are having significant impacts for lots of folks, relative to what was normal.  Normal, was when the parameters of the plans were established, given the significant differences in the current environment and the duration, it's a beyond reasonable point of view.

Highlighted

Michael, you mention "the parameters that distinguish the plans." What parameters are those, outside of the difference in amount of bandwidth?  I'm likely forgetting something here and I sense a facepalm coming, but aren't all the plans equal except for amount of bandwitdh? (and of course, price, which depends on the bandwidth package).