Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

@Michael57 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

You might want to read that prioritization policy again and not make the mistake of assuming all of your issues are the result of prioritization rather than system load and congestion. 

Actually, it's not an assumption (and to be fair, I did say the prioritization is a result of congestion).  If congestion or system load were the primary factor, then a speedtest would result in similar speeds to other traffic.  Congestion, without prioritization, is a ceiling.  

SMH.  Yes, an assumption, because you're not only assuming that the level of congestion is constant and the same across the board, but that every source reacts to congestion in the same way, neither of which is the case.  If your argument was the case, all activities would suffer during periods of congestion, and at the same level, which isn't at all the case, nor has it been since long before the pandemic came around the pike, and with many people.  Servers and and infrastructure along the path can and do react to congestion in varying ways. 

And I'm not even going to bother with the plan argument anymore.  If people want to lower their plan level they can and have always been able to.  For those whose plans are the size they want and works for them, they don't need to.  There's no need to punish those whose plan fits their needs and works fine for them by forcing them into some one size fits all plan because some people are having issues.    

Take it from someone who's had this service for over fifteen years and knows a little more about how it works, how it doesn't, and how it reacts to system load and congestion.  You've had it for two months and started when the traffic load was beginning to increase.  Your experience with this service is primarily when it's at its worst and it's shaping your opinions and beliefs about it.  

I'm done.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

You can "SMH" all you want, but it's 100% prioritization and it's not even debatable.  I very much understand in great detail (which, by the way, you've acknowledged in other threads where my opinion matches yours, I guess when it's convenient...), how the internet works, how latency works, what happens upstream, how congestion affects networks, and how to determine the speeds I'm getting.  Yes, there are many factors at play, but none really addresses the magnitude of the difference nor the consistency of it.  It's very obviously, prioritization.  

I am definitely not suggesting that plans be downgraded.  If customers are getting good bandwidth, then that makes no sense.  Honestly, my last suggestion was highlighting ways that plans could be much better tailored for individual usage and provide much more realistic performance allowing customers to pay for what they get and want.  Again, that was high level stuff, the devil is in the details...

You are misreading my opinions about the service, I understand the limitations of satelite and I understand the speeds that we are seeing and the challenge of improving on them.  I'm not suggesting that HN isn't doing what they can to provide the best experience that they can.  Prioritization is actually very difficult to get right, and we've seen lots of tweaks to it to improve some things over the last 8 weeks. 

I'm not complaining about the speed even.  I'm saying that we are now 2 months into a scenario where I'm willing to bet a significant portion of the customer base isn't seeing performance that is consistent with published information on the plans or the faq.  At what point does current capacity get reflected in the plans and the options available to customers?  I don't know what the right amount of time is, but I can certainly understand the frustrations, and believe a review of plans, their structure, and the actual performance customers are seeing should probably happen (much of the rest of the country is doing this too).  I hope I'm wrong, but we aren't likely to see a massive change in customer habits, at least in the US, for the rest of this year.  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael57 wrote:

You can "SMH" all you want, but it's 100% prioritization and it's not even debatable.  

Whether you like it or not I will refute misinformation, just as I have and will continue to do since my first days on this community.  

Many of the problems people are seeing, other than those related to high volume activities, which are falling under the prioritization policy, are the result of congestion and system load.  That's a fact, just as it has been since long before the pandemic ever occurred.  The prioritization policy didn't and doesn't change that fact, no matter how many times you claim it.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit