cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moosecreeklane
Spectator

Slow internet but speed tests show high numbers

Newly installed hughesnet internet.

Normal internet usage is painfully slow. Websites load slowly, social media constantly buffering and not loading, video calls for work are interrupted, etc.

When I run speed tests, the numbers come back high, like more than 40mbps. But this is NOT a 40mbps internet experience.

What are my options?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/mgreene

22 REPLIES 22
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@erehwontsol wrote: 

"Alleged." Your gaslighting mojo is strong, Gabe! Smiley LOL

I'm not gaslighting, but rather using the term in the strictest sense, as in claimed but not shown.   

Interesting about the captcha.  

lighthope1
Senior

@moosecreeklane wrote:

Newly installed hughesnet internet.

Normal internet usage is painfully slow. Websites load slowly, social media constantly buffering and not loading, video calls for work are interrupted, etc.

When I run speed tests, the numbers come back high, like more than 40mbps. But this is NOT a 40mbps internet experience.

What are my options?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/mgreene

With regard to the slow speeds despite good speedtests, it does seem to come down to prioritization, traffic shaping, etc.  And not all of it comes from HughesNet.  Other places are throttling their speeds as well, so even if HughesNet has it wide open, you still would be getting slow speeds because the hosting site is slow.  This would explain why some sites are slow while you get rocket speeds duing a speed test.

What are your options?

That kind of depends on how much speed you need.  I've found that, except for watching YouTube or downloading large files, my internet experience is pretty much unaffected whether I am throttled or not.

The plans will give you the top available speed as long as you have the data available.  Unless you are being prioritized, which I think is what HughesNet is doing to videos.  They may be doing it to others, but idk.

The question becomes: Can you live with throttled speeds? If yes, then drop your plan to a lower tier. If not, then keep it at a higher tier.

But as I said, some of the speed issue is coming not from HughesNet but from the outside.  Not much they can do about that.