cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chelsea90
Freshman

Slow internet since the beginning

Hello,

I am new to HughesNet since the beginning of September and have had problems with slow internet from day 1. I have called customer service a few time and have spoke to the enigineers as well. What usually happens is I talk to the representative and either my internet will speed up a little bit where we can somewhat use it and then it will become slow again or my internet just doesn't speed up. We also have the issue where it states the speed is good but when we try to use the internet, it is really slow. My fiance and I both stream videos (I watch movies on Netflix and he watches Youtube videos) and we are both unable to watch at the same time. One will work while the other buffers and then stops working. This doesn't happen all the time but it happens the majority of the time. I understand that tests have to be done and I don't mind doing all that but I am frustrated because I am paying for this service that is not delivering to their promise of fast internet. All I want is to be able to watch movies on Netflix and Youtube. I am not sure what to do anymore because everytime I've called, the issue is somewhat resolved and then comes back. I am not sure if we need someone to come out and check everything but as of right now, I am not happy with my service! 

30 REPLIES 30
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi chelsea90, it would help to know what speeds you are getting.

Aside from that, the definition being streamed makes a huge impact. I'm honestly not sure how well the video data saver option HughesNet provides works from my experience but always choose lower defintions at the streaming site. Nothing above 360p unless a very short video clip. May want to turn the data saver off and see if controlling the definition manually provides better results.

I have Netflix set to low definition in my user playback settings and I rarely see any buffering even on my slower Gen 4 system. I've even been able to smothly watch when speed sometimes drops below 2 Mbps in the evenings. The quality looks fine to my wife and myself on screens up to 55". The added benefit is a lot less data use.

Hope this might help.

Now I know some of them show fast internet but it was still slow when we would use it or it was fast after speaking to customer service and then would be slow a few hours later.Capture.JPG

Good morning chelsea90,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Thank you for sharing your speed tests, this is a good start. I've also pulled up your account to run diagnostics on your site and on that end it looks clear. I'd like to escalate your case to the engineers here at corporate, but first we'll need tests from testmy.net.

Please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

I'm sending you a token for these additional speed tests, so you may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the free token.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Ok, now do I run the tests all on one day or can I spread them out through a few days. I only ask because I work 8-5 so I am not home the majority of the day. Thanks. 

For now, we can stick with running tests during the times you normally are seeing these slowdowns. Over the course of multiple days is fine, it's just that when you are able to run tests, please do at least 3 tests spaced 5 minutes apart. One batch of three should be fine, but if you can do more that would be better.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Chelsea,

I've just gotten an update about your beam, beam 5. There are scheduled adjustments in the coming weeks to address speed concerns. We'll post back once we have any other details to share. Speed tests now will still help if we need to compare performance now to later after network adjustments.

Thank you for the update! I will get those test done ASAP! 🙂

Ok, so I did tests on testmy.net and the hughesnet speed test as well.

Testmy.net results: 

1. http://testmy.net/db/1BvciEA0M-
  2. http://testmy.net/db/5a4GFSIZj
  3. http://testmy.net/db/gIJEk3QNl

Hughesnet speed test results:

speedtesr.JPG

ok recent tests run-

Testmy.net results:

1. http://testmy.net/db/PJOLl7N6Z
  2. http://testmy.net/db/5SR1srzCp
  3. http://testmy.net/db/fY8d2uZqe

Hughesnet speed test results:

speedsnov.JPG

Good morning Chelsea,

Thank you for running the tests and posting! I will send this over to engineering. I do want to get better speeds for you. I'll post back once I have any updates. Should you see any change in performance, good or bad, please let us know, I will keep sending your feedback to engineering so they are aware.

So should I be getting a call from engineering or your just sending them information about my case? I will say last night it was slow. We had a lot of buffering going on. 

No need to wait for any calls, I send everyone's feedback from the community directly to the engineers here at corporate. Once I have any updates to share, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Our internet is running horribly! Buffering a lot and can't even stream youtube and a movie at the same time... I feel like I am not getting what I am paying for and I have been doing everything you guys asked.

Good morning Chelsea, 

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

i had hughesnet 5 years ago and for 5 years they sent me mail telling me how much better and faster it was.

so i called and spoke with a sales person they told me that it was better than ever faster to i would have no problem streaming movies...WHAT a lie i cant stream them alwasy buffering cant use my internet fax. i hate this service and the liers that go with it

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@foxl48

If it is a speed related issue, it would benefit you to start a new thread.  

If not a speed related issue, please read the reply concerning the Video Data Saver and streaming.  

As for the internet faxing, the problem may be due to the latency inherent to satellite based internet.  

Is there an update on anything?

Has anyone ever actually seen this internet service run as advertised ? Recently switched over to this from dishNET and Huges sucks !! It's consistency slower than dishNET ever was 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sdn wrote:

Has anyone ever actually seen this internet service run as advertised ? 

Yes.  Most Hughesnet customers, including myself.  

I must be one of the non most crowd !! It even struggles at times to load the page for the speed test. Very sad service.