cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

Sophomore

Slow internet speed

I am hoping that Hughes will improve my internet speed. Below is the link to my test results. Per the instructions provided by this community, I shutoff WiFi and ran the test every 5 minutes for 2 hours. Most results are 2-3 Mbps download with a brief spike to 12 Mbps. I still have Service Plan Data. Shouldn't I be consistently getting higher speeds?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Peneloukle

36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow internet speed

@Peneloukle 

If you have a device with the ability to connect to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, please run a few tests this way, and with the WiFi in the modem disabled.  The instructions for disabling the WiFi are included here.  Tests are requested to be run this way in order to get the most baseline result, as WiFi itself can introduce anomalies that negatively affect speed.

If you don't have this ability, please indicate such so that the reps can determine the next step to take.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sophomore

The tests done on 10/7/20 between 9:30 and 11:30 pm PST were done with WiFi off and only Ethernet cable connection to modem.

Distinguished Professor III

Your upload speeds are actually fine (HN is designed for 3 Mbps up).  Your download speeds are pretty bad. 

Could you please run the download tests with the required file size, which is 25 MB?

Sophomore

I did use minimum download file size of 25 MB for the most recent tests. Should I run some download only tests?

Distinguished Professor III

Really? Weird. The results indicate the size as 24.8. 

2020-10-08_17-31-40.png

Can you access the modem's internal page, at http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status?

If so, what's the number next to State Code?

I'd run only download tests, as the uploads look normal, even though they don't reach 3 Mbps. 

EDIT: were these tests run automatically?

@Peneloukle 

Are you deliberately choosing a multithread test for your download tests or is the system automatically doing this for you?  If so, it would be best to stick with a single threaded test from a specific server, such as with your upload tests, for all of the tests, as running them multithreaded can again introduce possible sources of issues.   The idea for the troubleshooting tests is to get the most basic, streamlined result across all of the tests you run for that purpose, with the parameters for all tests being the same.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

@Re: Slow internet speed

@maratsade 

Often when I test it will show 24.8MB for the test file rather than the 25MB file size chosen.  I'm not really sure why.  Sometimes it will even show 25.6MB.  

The 24.8MB it's defaulting to should be fine.

Sophomore

@GabeU I did not deliberately use multithread. I will try to do some single thread tests tonight.

Sophomore

@maratsade 

State Code0.0.0 -- Fully operational

I did run the tests automatically.