Hughesnet Community

Slow internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wkvette

Slow internet speed

just had internet and phone service installed on 9/17. So far I am not satisfied with the internet speed. slow loading web pages and slow downloading. Called tech services and was on the phone for half an hour and got cut off, and I have hugh.net phone service. I got nowhere with the tech rep and I'm not sure if I am going to call back because calling Hugh.net is an aggravating experience.
59 REPLIES 59
Ricky
Tutor

wkvette, you are in the right place now to get help. Stick with with the community folks. The mods here are at the corporate level so you will get the help you deserve.
Chris11
Alum

Hello wkvette,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of your experience. However you are in the right place. We'll run some diagnostics, look over the install, and make sure that there wasn't something overlooked to get this resolved for you. In the mean time. If you don't mind running a few speed tests for us. Head over to www.testmy.net. Run manual tests throughout the day. Use a test size of 12 MB for download speed tests, and 3 MB for Upload. Post your results here so we can evaluate them. I'm sure we can fix it. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help address your concerns.

Thank you,
Chris
wkvette

test 1 download 2.4 mbps    test 2 download 476 kbps    upload 186 kbps  
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

wkvette,

Are you using the manual 12MB test size for download tests and the manual 2MB size for upload tests (normally it's 2MB, though Chris asked for 3MB)?  Also, you should be using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, when running the tests.

It would be best for you to create an account at testmy.net and run the tests while signed into that account.  This will keep all of the results in a centralized area that can easily be looked at and which can show patterns.  When you've run some tests, you can post your results URL by clicking on "Results" on the upper right and then copy/paste the URL in the address bar.  It will look like the following, but with YOUR user name where it says "yourusername". 

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

lhorton2006

wkvette,

You are not alone. I had to install hughes net as it was my only option and it has been very horrible. I specifically asked if it would be fast enough to watch streaming video like Directv on demand and was told it would be fine. I am virtually paralyzed with how slow the internet is and as of yet have been unable to stream even a you tube video. The internet is useless and the speed tests even fail because it is too slow. Absolutely the worst internet I could imagine. Unfortunately I am locked in with horrible cancellation fees and even though I purchased the protection plan I am having to pay $125 for repairs because a cable got cut. Good luck to you. I am currently starting my search for new service and the money to get out of this terrible company.
wkvette

GabeU, At this point I am frustrated with this. I hear what your saying, but I want to know why my wifi speed is slow. i dont have a Lan cable to connect my computer to the router and I am not going to purchase one. My wifi router is 8' from my computer with no obstructions. At this point I'm getting aggravated with all this stuff I have to do. Why am I paying hughes.net?
wkvette

Ihorton2006, I hear you, I too had no other option than to install hughes.net. It's been one week and no satisfaction. I am also contemplating cancelling my service and going back to what i was using before.
Chris11
Alum

Hello wkvette,

The reason we need you to plug one computer directly to the modem is to remove any potential bottlenecks which could cause a slow down in speed. Your true speeds can only be tested in this fashion. Without confirmation that your speeds are similar via Ethernet, it becomes difficult to pinpoint the best course of action. Slow speed cases can always be escalated to our engineers for evaluation. I would advise, when running speed tests, that you just try to have one computer connected. As long as no other devices are on the network you should be fine. 

I did run diagnostics on your system and everything checks out. Install, line of sight, and cabling. I also noticed you have our VoIP service. In the troubleshooting faze, at least when running speed tests. Try taking it out of the equation as well. You can plug it back up when not running tests. Or try using the internet normally this way and see if there is any difference. Please let us know what you find works. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
wkvette

So your telling me I have to buy an ethernet cable to reach my computer. Dont know when i am going to be able to do that, I dont drive and I am on disability, I dont have the money to throw away on something Im only going to use once. I'll have to let you know what Im going to do.
GabeU

wkvette,

I understand your frustration.  The reason they request a single device to be directly connected to the modem is not only to eliminate other things that could be connecting to the router and drawing data, but also because routers themselves can sometimes cause problems.  It can be a nuisance, for sure, but it's the first step in helping to pinpoint the source of the slow speeds.

Do you have someone that might be able to temporarily move your computer so it is next to the modem so that you could use one of the LAN cables you already have there to run the tests?   

wkvette

Chris, i connected my pc only with ethernet. 29.59 mbps. Not sure about URL, I think this is what you wanted:  http://testmy.net/db/lMwTcfIE4 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pretty much says your router is the problem. Thant speed is fantastic.
wkvette

i agree. Lets see if Hughs.net agrees.
wkvette

Chris, after running the test with just my pc, i reconnected my phone router and basically same result 27 mbps.
Chris11
Alum

Hi wkvette,

Hope you had a great weekend. Those speeds are well above whats advertised for your plan. The router looks to be the main bottleneck. How old is it? Who set it up? I would also make sure it's not set with the same IP address as our modem.

- Chris
wkvette

Chris, I just had your internet service installed on Sept 17, 2016. all equipment was provided by Hughes.net, including the wireless router, its brand new. I wish we could resolve this problem quickly. In order to connect the internet router directly to my computer I had to run the coaxial cable from the sattelite dish across my living room floor (your installer left extra coaxial cable so I had enough to reach my computer) but this is very inconvenient. As far as the IP address I dont know what to do with that. I'm not an expert with computer stuff. Cant you send a tech to resolve the problem.

wkvette
Chris11
Alum

Hi wkvette,

The router should be set up correctly then. That is not an issue. Just to clarify, in your response from 2 days ago. You mentioned plugging back up the "phone router". Do you mean the ATA box? Or both the ATA box and your router? You should be able to get similar speeds with the router back in the mix, so I am leaning towards that being the culprit. You can put everything back the way it was. We only needed this done to troubleshoot. 

- Chris
Brian Duke

If a direct connection is needed to run tests , it should be provided by HughesNet
GabeU

A direct connection is always needed to run speed tests to rule out if the router is the cause of the problem. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A direct connection means hooking an Ethernet cable directly from the computers NIC ot the Modems LAN port.
There are any number of IP conflicts and router miss-settings that can cause slow speeds.
We need to see what the systems baseline performance levels are.