Hughesnet Community

Slow internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wkvette

Slow internet speed

just had internet and phone service installed on 9/17. So far I am not satisfied with the internet speed. slow loading web pages and slow downloading. Called tech services and was on the phone for half an hour and got cut off, and I have hugh.net phone service. I got nowhere with the tech rep and I'm not sure if I am going to call back because calling Hugh.net is an aggravating experience.
59 REPLIES 59
wkvette

Chris, If the ATA box is for the phone then yes I only connected the ATA box not the wireless router. So what happens now? Also I'm a little confused do you work for Hughes.net or are you just a moderator on this community site? I want this resolved. If the wireless router is defective then I want a replacement. I've been dealing with this problem for over a week and I'm no closer to a solution then I was a week and a half ago.
Chris11
Alum

Hello wkvette,

Can you provide me the make and model of your router? Is it a D-Link? I can have a replacement sent over. It comes already set up with the correct IP etc. Should be as easy as swapping out. 

- Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Chris works for Hughesnet. 

wkvette

Chris, the router is a D-Link cloud router, N300, Dir-619L. It was provided free as part of the promotion for signing with hughes.net. I assume you can get my address from my account. I dont want to post it here.

thanks, wkvette
Chris11
Alum

Hi wkvette,

Yes I have your account info already. I will submit the order. Once I have a UPS tracking number I will let you know. 

Thank you,
Chris
wkvette

thanks, wkvette
Chris11
Alum

Hi wkvette,

I created the order. It can take a bit of time to get the tracking number. Once it is processed fully I will update you.

Thanks,
Chris
kylestagg
New Poster

They always run tests and say everything is fine. Which is great. According to their definition of fine.  But the service is trash. Wasted $500 on equipment and then they want $400 for canceling. I don't know but I have had 2 ppl come out and made over 10 phone calls. Upgraded package. its all crap. Ive only been a customer since August.  This is the worst internet service out there. I would rather pay double per month for a competitor.  Advertising is how Hughesnet makes money.  Sucker you in and get you to pay out the you know what to leave.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Kylestagg,

It would be helpful if you were to start a topic of your own so that we can target your particular issues.

Unlike other support avenues you haven taken to date the forum Mods are at the corporate level and users such as myself are long term Hughes users, over 12 years in my case.

If you were to detail your issues perhaps we can help.

Chris11
Alum

Hi wkvette,

Thanks for being patient. I am still waiting for our system to process the order. It seems the routers were on a small back order. However it should be good to go very soon. I will let you know when. 

- Chris
sweetnez66

You are ABSOLUTELY correct i have had trouble for a very long time an this is my only option for now. They want me to spend more money ....for what the service sucks and they also told me they were going to give me free space for my inconvenience but they did nothing.  Hughes does not have to call me for my money every month....why should I have to call them every month for bad service
Amanda

Hi sweetnez66

The comment you are responding to is a bit further back and we've since helped the original poster, wkvette, by figuring out it was the router and are currently sending them one of ours for free. I recommend creating your own post so we can assist.

Thanks
Amanda
wkvette

Chris, I just received an email from hughes.net confirming a service change. The order number is 10943552. I am assuming this is for the new router. I called customer service and they had no idea what the email was about. Is this email about the new router?

Thanks wkvette

OP's concern has since been resolved so I'm closing this old thread. Please start your own if you would like to work with us in addressing your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Chris11
Alum

Hello wkvette,

Yes that was due to the router. That would confirm everything as processed. Thanks for letting me know. I should have the tracking number shortly.

- Chris
jeff.k.white32

We are experiencing the same slow speed problems.  In the three months we have had Hughes it has become progressively slower. Streaming is out of the question now and even opening emails can be slow. I replaced the first router purchased through the contractor who installed ours. Another call to a Hughes tech and again they said it was the router.  No way as this is a brand new router more than capable of doing it's job.  Also if you have a laptop such as a Mac Book without the LAN port no test can be conducted.  Now we are locked into the 2 year plan with VERY SLOW SPEED.  

Jeff
GabeU

jeff.k.white32,

Unfortunately, without being able to be connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, the speed tests can't be counted on to be an accurate assessment of the speed one is getting.  The router can add too much into the mix.  With that said, you can still run a few tests at testmy.net using the procedure in the following link... 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

If you want to do so and post the results URL, you can do so in a new post, which you can create by clicking on the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Again, though, without the ability to connect directly to the modem with a LAN cable the results can't really be counted on as the speed you are actually getting.  The only other option is a USB Ethernet adapter, but no one is expecting you to go out and buy one. 

kylestagg
New Poster

internet doesn't work . that's the issue. running at kbps. didn't know that was still a thing. and im not wasting more of my time troubleshooting anything. I already have a full time job
ljhouston99

I had my hughesnet service installed 6 weeks ago and since install, I experience dnld speeds at 1 to 2 mbs. I pay for 15mbs. So you are not alone with this problem. Slow speeds mostly occur in the evening. Here are my testmy results. There are severql pages, so be sure to click the more button at the bottom right.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Larry%20H
GabeU

Rather than spamming everywhere, create your own post to receive help. 
ljhouston99

Hey Gabe,,,  So I am agreeing with other hughesnet customers that have the same problem as me.. and you call that spamming. Typical hughesnet smart-mouth kids. Get some respect and then talk to me. Till then, go **** yourself.