cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

Patticv
Freshman

Slow internet speed

I have had Hughesnet since Aug. 2016.  It has never worked well beyond possibly the first few weeks.  After months of frustration, I called and they sent out someone to reallign satellite. He never came inside and it was a week before we admitted, it was no better. I have made a few calls after total frustration of spending hours trying to access youtube videos (3-4 minutes...nothing long) but it spools throughout the short video and instead of using 3 minutes of data I have used 20 minutes, wasting my time as well. The same thing happens just trying to access any website or news videos.  I do not stream videos or play online games...for obvious reasons. 

The ladies I spoke to were very pleasant and tried to be helpful, but at the end of over 3 hours of sitting on the phone going through tests which in one case differed by over 39 MB on my download, they averaged that together and said I'm OK. Please sit behind my tablet for one hour and tell me I'm OK. 

I can do speed tests on different sites and have results all over the place. I went to testmy.com last night and 

4 REPLIES 4
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Slow internet speed

If you are on an HN9000, you might want to consider upgrading to Gen5 service before doing anything.  If you are on an HT1100, chances are you are on an overcrowded beam and may still want to consider jumping to Gen5, or wait till others jump to the new service.  However if you still wish to troubleshoot, please continue to read.

In order to help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

bkeeper1
Junior

I don't know that your situation is the same as mine - so if I were you, I would follow the suggestions of the Hughes Reps. 

According to the Reps. As of the first of March the technicians had done all they could do to clear up the slowness I am experiencing.  It is a problem with Hughes overbooking the beam I am on - and I am going to just have to wait and hope.  Even though I am on a plan that promises UP TO 15 Mbps. download - most evenings I am lucky if I get 1 Mbps! Not enough to stream Nexflix.

Keep working with the Reps. and I hope your problems get solved.

This is from a posting (reply) to me a few days ago from CORROSIVE (One of Hughes tutors).

“Not sure what HughesNet can do, the Ultra plan no longer exists, and Jupiter One is "at capacity", which mostly means that it has been oversold.  The only thing you can do is wait things out and hope enough people on your beam/gateway assignment decide to jump to Jupiter II, or wait to see if Hughes offers Ultra like plans on Jupiter II”.

Very discouraging! 

So, right now I am “waiting things out and hoping”.Hope you don't have to do the same.

Bkeeper

foxbrook
Sophomore

I have the Gen4 Ultra plan and my speeds were fine until Gen5 came online, now I average about 800Kbps download speed. My best guess is that HN is stealing bandwidth on Echostar17 from us Gen4 subscribers to give to new Gen5 plans.

bkeeper1
Junior

Sounds like a real possibility to me.  They even admit they are "overbooked". Whatever happened - it happened to so many at the same time (when Gen5 was coming on line) -- it almost has to be deliberate.  Especially since there is so little help coming from the Hughes reps. - and one of the only suggestions they make to solve the problem is for us to upgrade to Gen5 -- less service at an additional cost of almost $1,000.00 over the next two years.. That is extra over what we are paying now.  Lots of food for thought!

Bkeeper