cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Slow internet speed

@maratsade your picture is not of my tests as they show today's date. Regardless, my download size is 24.8 MB as shown in your picture. I will run some more tests a little later when I can shut off the wifi. More later.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Peneloukle wrote:

@GabeU I did not deliberately use multithread. I will try to do some single thread tests tonight.

How weird.  

I'd check the top of the testmy.net page to ensure that it shows "Multithread off".  

Capture.PNG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

I got the screenshot from here: https://testmy.net/quickstats/Peneloukle

I just removed the upload data and took a screenshot. 

@Peneloukle wrote:

your picture is not of my tests as they show today's date. Regardless, my download size is 24.8 MB as shown in your picture. I will run some more tests a little later when I can shut off the wifi. More later.

Highlighted

@Peneloukle wrote:

@maratsade your picture is not of my tests as they show today's date.  

They actually are.  When you view someone else's tests they show in GMT time, and in respect to the time zone you're viewing them from.  So the times maratsade and I see for your tests won't be what you see when you look at them.

As an example, take a look at mine..

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

This is what I see for my first few tests.  Note the times being different from what you see when you look at them from my link...

Capture.PNG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

@GabeU Thank you for clearing that up!

Highlighted
Sophomore

Here is the link to the results of the latest testing. Erratic.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Peneloukle

Highlighted

@Peneloukle 

The reps are now off for the weekend, though Damian is sometimes on during the weekday evenings, including Friday.  You most likely have enough tests at this point, so you can stop running them for HughesNet troubleshooting purposes.     

Just in case, I noticed that some tests aren't staying with the 25MB test size.  You had mentioned that you run the tests automatically.  When you set up the parameters for the testing, are you ticking the "No Forward (select min first)" box under the test sizes?  If not, please do, as it ensures that the system doesn't re-run a test using a larger file size if the original test finishes in less than seven seconds. 

Capture.PNG

Again, you probably have enough tests at this point, but if you do end up running more, or if you're asked to, and you use the automatic testing, make sure to tick that box to keep the test sizes where you set them.   🙂

@Liz @Damian 

Highlighted
Sophomore

@GabeU 

Thank you for the additional info. I will choose "No Forward" for future tests.

Do you think my erratic download speeds indicate a problem that Hughes may be able to correct?

When you say "reps" are you referring to Hughes technical support?

Highlighted

@Peneloukle 

Regarding the reps (representatives), sort of.  The HughesNet reps that help via this support community are corporate based, unlike the phone or chat reps.  They handle pretty much whatever problem comes their way, including technical issues.  They also have direct access to the engineers for when there is a problem that requires their assistance.  

As for your speeds, they actually look quite good, but the reps will have to make a final determination regarding such.  There are a few low results in them, but those can be caused by a variety of things, including temporary issues somewhere upstream of HughesNet itself.  Again, though, only the reps can really make that determination.  

If you're having issues with specific activities, it would be a good idea to mention their types, as problems with activities can be as a result of things other than overall speed.  For and example, because of the pandemic related higher than normal number of people being online, which increases system congestion, the amount of which can vary from beam to beam (location to location), some people are having difficulty with streaming, as in there being significant buffering, regardless of their overall speed.

Highlighted

Peneloukle,

Hello! I'm happy to see our fantastic Community Champions were able to help you get started. After reviewing your speed tests and taking a look at the account, I see that there are some issues with the signal reaching your devices. 

Where is the modem located compared to where you typically are using your various devices?

-Jay