Slow internet speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dkranch
New Poster

Slow internet speeds

I have only had HughesNet internet for less than 1 month.   My internet speeds drops to less than 0.9Mbs.  One 1 day did I see speeds around 12 mbs. 

I have posted my test results.   It is a very clear and cold night. I turn off my WIFI on the router. 

https://testmy.net/db/4WDIRd5mW.W0Zu-LpQm

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dkranch 

Those speeds look terrible, but the reps will need more tests to help.  However, please first check to make sure that you are not out of plan data, as tests run while out of plan data won't be of help.  You can check with the HughesNet Mobile App or by going to the Home page of the System Control Center, which is here.  

Also, please check on the System Control Center to ensure that both boxes at the top of the page are green.  If one is red, something is not operating correctly.  

If you have plan data and both boxes at the top of the SCC page are green, which means everything with the system is operational, please run a few batches of speed tests using the following protocol.  Please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure they are run correctly.  The reps will need the test results in order to help with speed issues.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

I am not out of plan data,

Both boxes at the top of the page are green.

I run a few more batches of speed tests using the protocol you provided

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dkranch

GabeU

@dkranch 

Those speeds are definitely low.  Though they may ask for a few to be run sometime during the day or in the evening, that may be enough for the reps to start their troubleshooting, as they certainly do demonstrate a slow speed during a time that it should be at its highest, as late night/early morning is when the system is the least congested with users.  

The reps usually respond within a working day, so hopefully you'll see a reply from one soon.  🙂

@Liz @Remy @Damian 

@dkranch

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you have been experiencing this. When running diagnostics on your equipment, I noticed you called in today to receive troubleshooting support already. From the looks of the agent's notes, it appears things are working properly for you now. Are you still experiencing any issues on your side and do you have any questions regarding the information provided to you earlier yesterday?      

-Damian 

GP1
New Poster

Wow! That is lightening compared to what i get. They will tell you all sorts of BS to try and do and such. But hey it's 2020 why am I beign asked to navigate Tv and the internet like I am buying phone minutes in the 90s? The service where I live is trash (Oroville, CA). There is no other choice. I am constantly looking for something else. Tin can and some string maybe? 

I will try those tests as well. An exercise in futility couldn't hurt!

GabeU

@GP1 

If you need help with your service please start a new topic instead of piggybacking on another's with your complaints.

maratsade

"They will tell you all sorts of BS to try and do and such."

They tell subscribers to conduct troubleshooting on their equipment and connections. HughesNet can troubleshoot their side of the equation but only the subscriber can troubleshoot their network, devices, and connections.