Hughesnet Community

Slow internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhill1276

Slow internet

After two phone calls with technical support today I am thoroughly convinced that Hughesnet is the worst internet that I have ever had. After being confirmed through multiple speeds tests that my internet was slower than my plan, I was then instructed to unplug my modem, plug my modem directly into the computer, and finally to restart my modem. No fix and no explanation from the rep. Instead, the rep informed me that it will cost $125 for a technician to come to my home. Is there anyone at hughesnet that I can talk to who knows what they are doing and how to solve the problem.
6 REPLIES 6
elvinbh

No, there is only the community. And they will give you the run around for 2 years. I wish I would have looked into this company a little more. 
Chris11
Alum

Hello Michael,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear of your experience. Looking at your case history you called in yesterday twice, and our agents noted both times the calls were disconnected. Outside of these calls yesterday there are no other case notes listed since you first signed up in August. It is most likely that our agents needed to do more troubleshooting to warrant a tech visit which I see you asked for. Without further testing and simply requesting for us to send out a tech usually comes with a charge.

On the other hand after running my own diagnostics on your site, things look normal except for our internal speed test which tracks the speeds beamed down to your dish directly from the satellite. I am going to consult with one of our engineers and get back to you on this. It doesn't seem like it is something that a Tech will need to come out for but we won't rule that out. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

mhill1276,

I don't know the specifics of your speed problem (I don't work for Hughesnet), nor do I know what is causing them, but I can tell you that, if your speed problems started over the weekend, it may be due to so many people being online. 

The Hughesnet system has a finite throughput, and with just about everybody and their brother being home over the holiday weekend, and maybe even an extended weekend, the speeds dropped noticeably for some of us that normally get fantastic speeds due to so many people using the net.  With folks all over going online to share home movies, skype, stream movies and whatever else, it's not unusual that it slowed for some.

Again, I don't know the specifics of your particular issue, but if it started over the extended holiday weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the cause.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

elvinbh,

You never bothered to answer anyone back in the two previous complaints you made, one of them being your own thread.  If you don't bother doing anything that's asked to discover the problem, the problem will never be fixed. 

Four weeks ago...

https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/promises-of-bigger-better-faster-cheaper-ultra?topi...

Chris11
Alum

Hi Michael,

Just wanted to let you know that we haven't forgotten about you. Still waiting to get some feedback, but will share once I have something. Your patience is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Michael,

Our engineers came back with some new info. They've made some tweaks to your site that they feel should provide you with some relief. Please let me know if you notice any improvement.

Thank you,
Chris