Slow internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayR
Freshman

Slow internet

My internet connection has been more slow and intermittent for the past few weeks. I did the speed tests on this site and they are mostly saying high numbers. I checked the usage meter and I still had 80% of anytime allowance left on the 21st of the month. I don't think I have enough internet speed to use it all. I've unplugged everything and started new many times but no help. I have the Ht 1100 system. After reading through the posts I wonder if this is going to get better. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

RayR,

First, welcome to the Community.  

You metioned that Hughesnet speed tests are giving your "high numbers."  What are the results you are getting?  

Are you connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable or are you connected wirelessly through a router?  If through a router, do you notice any difference in speeds when connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable?  

There is a protocol for speed testing that helps the reps get an idea of what is going on with your speeds and how to address it.  It is as follows....

Welcome. To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.  You can do so by clicking on "Results" and copying the URL in the address bar and pasting it into a reply post.  

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:

-perform the tests while signed into the testmy.net account
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Did the internet speed test. http://testmy.net/quickstats/Ray1966

Good morning RayR,

Welcome to the community and thank you for running and posting your speed test results, this helps expedite your case. I ran remote diagnostics on your site to ensure the HughesNet equipment is functioning normally and so far so good. I will escalate your case to our engineers here at corporate for their input. 

First, I see these tests were all done at night--do you also experience these slow speeds during the daytime?

Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks for the checkup. The internet is slow at night. I have a hard time surfing the net just getting web pages to load. The only day time hours I use it is weekends and after 4:00pm on weekdays. The last few weeks it's been more slow than normal. I was on with the bonus hours and it seemed a little better.

So the few times you are using the internet during the daytime on weekends and late afternoons on the workweek, the speeds are better or worse than at night?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!