cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbreeding
New Poster

Slow or dropped internet consistently regardless the time of month

Hello Tech Folks,

Internet has been slow since I signed up (on computer and tv). Emails, browsing and streaming are all intermittently paused or dropped. I've disconnected everything, run a speed test, and checked my data usage (yes, I'm out of data right now but the connection has always been slow and unreliable even at the beginning of the pay cycle). Right now upload speed is 2.49 Mbps and download speed is 0.71 Mbps. However, it's been slow from the the day my service was connected. When I inquired about this service when signing up, I asked the agent whether or not HughesNet would support streaming; he confidently assured me that it would, even when I specifically asked about Netflix and Sling TV.

I'm disappointed and frustrated by the level of service provided by the HughesNet product and lack of response from online support. I tried to start a chat with an online service representative twice. Both times I had no response. If my connection speed challenge isn't resolved, I'm ready to drop HughesNet to find another service.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Before the Hughesnet reps here can help you, they will ask you to run a series of speed tests:

1. Create a free account at Testmy.net.
2. Before you begin testing, disable the WiFi (to see how to disable WiFi on the HT2000W modem, look under "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf)
3. Run the tests while your device is connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable
4. To test download speeds, use the manual 25MB size
5. To test upload speeds, use the manual 4MB size
6. Run 3 to 5 tests, at least 5 minutes apart. Repeat at different times during the day.
7. Post your tests results here -- the URL will look like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

These tests, while they may be cumbersome, are REQUIRED before the Hughesnet reps can begin to diagnose what may be wrong with your site.

Streaming IS possible with Hughesnet, though at times it may be affected by latency and/or beam congestion. 

You can cancel your service at any time. No one is obligated to stay if they're unhappy with the service.  There is a penalty for terminating the program early, though. Make sure you read the subscriber agreement, located here:  http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@mbreeding wrote:

Hello Tech Folks,

Internet has been slow since I signed up (on computer and tv). Emails, browsing and streaming are all intermittently paused or dropped. I've disconnected everything, run a speed test, and checked my data usage (yes, I'm out of data right now but the connection has always been slow and unreliable even at the beginning of the pay cycle). Right now upload speed is 2.49 Mbps and download speed is 0.71 Mbps. However, it's been slow from the the day my service was connected. When I inquired about this service when signing up, I asked the agent whether or not HughesNet would support streaming; he confidently assured me that it would, even when I specifically asked about Netflix and Sling TV.

I'm disappointed and frustrated by the level of service provided by the HughesNet product and lack of response from online support. I tried to start a chat with an online service representative twice. Both times I had no response. If my connection speed challenge isn't resolved, I'm ready to drop HughesNet to find another service.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Hardy

Hello Michael,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear about your frustration with the service.  After running some diagnostics on your account, I noticed that you are out of your monthly data allowance. If you go here, it will give you some great tips on managing data.

You also have 2 devices that are consuming quite a bit of data, one being your Roku stick, this has consumed about 76 GB since 12/03. The other device is unknown and connected to the 5 GHz network, it has used 50 GB since connected today. Once your data allowance runs out, speeds are at 1-3 Mbps. Please let me know if you have further questions.

-Felicia

mrsssepia
New Poster

What a joke takes 2 to 3 hours to stream an hour show! Buffer, buffer, buffer!  Never above 3 on download uploads worse. Drinks up the data tho! Been trying since Nov to get someone out here, but contract up in 5 months, I'm done! P.S. I'm out of town 7 months of the year and they do NOT roll over data I paid for, so...just paying for nothing!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mrsssepia 

First and foremost, if you'd like help with your streaming/speed issue, please start a new topic in Tech Support, which was suggested the last time you posted.  

Regarding your data, you're paying for access to HughesNet's service, and that includes a specific amount of high speed access for that month.  You're not buying data, but rather an amount of high speed access, and again, only for that specific month.  Therefore, it doesn't roll over.  Token data, however, does roll over, as that's extra high speed access that you're buying separately.  In addition, you can suspend your service for up to six months.  That way you aren't paying for access when you aren't there to use it.  With that said, I believe you still have to pay the lease fee, if you're a lease customer, and any applicable taxes for each month while the service is suspended.  As well, if you're in a contract, the end date of that contract gets pushed out for as long as your service is suspended.