Hughesnet Community

Slow service high price

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heatherleann922

Slow service high price

Service is awful!! 71 dollars a month you would think you would have unlimited data or atleast be able to watch videos without having to stop to load. As soon as I find a new option of internet I will be switching! I have never heard of such high prices and had such tallow service. No point in spending that money on crap!
54 REPLIES 54
Glorinda Zapata

So sorry
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Talk about an inacurate view.
There is a massive difference between one-way blanket TV uplinks and two-way satellite communication.

Edit:
At this point Hughesnet owns two satellites. Echostar17 at 107.1 W. and Spaceway3 at 95' W.

I wonder how he accounts for Wildblue / Exede ?
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Oh Golly, where to begin...
Knowing that most will not even realize their throttled speeds or they know that HughesNet is the only option to dialup!
Cell phone providers and ground-based wireless ISPs will be happy to provide you with service if you can get their signal.
Hughes is a complete monopoly in the satellite industry! 
Simply not so. Try http://www.Exede.comhttp://www.wildblue.com, http://www.bgansatellite.com/, http://www.skycasters.com/, etc.
 America has been using Hughes satellites for decades! 
HughesNet has been offering residential satellite Internet service for about 15 years, hardly "decades."
So there is no way Hughes would allow any other internet provider,new or existing, to use their satellites to compete with their service! 
Until recently, all satellite internet providers shared/leased space on satellites owned by other companies; GE Satcom, SatMex, ANIK, AMC, Horizons, others. Many still do. For the last ~ four years, the two largest residential satellite Internet providers, HughesNet and Exede, finally each have their own satellites (paid for by investors, I might add). 
So ultimately, HughesNet COULD provide much better service to much more people without such "throttles" or "caps" being applied at the rate at which they are today! 
HughesNet's Jupiter 17 is ONE 100 Gbps satellite serving roughly ~ 500,000 customers across half of the US. It can't offer "unlimited" service. Assuming everyone got an equal share on this satellite, the speed would average a whopping 200 Kbps per user (about five times dial-up speed.)  "Throttles / Caps / Allowances" ensure all Satellite Internet customers get better service than that.
Unfortunately us in rural America have to abide by the "Hughes Law" or move to where better service of internet is available! Just like you would have to move elsewhere to get the full benefits of your Maserati and not be "throttled" or "capped" due to speed limits! HughesNet could do much better but why would they when they can suppress customers and still thrive....
There are alternatives in most parts of the country if you look for them. You're not "forced" to subscribe to HughesNet, or any other service. But, if HughesNet is your only way to get Internet where you choose to live then you can learn how to get the most out of it. But that won't change any of the above.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just like HughesNet "throttles" your internet speed after they have a slight inclination of the data you use after using their service for a couple of months. 

If anything my speeds have increased over the last few months.  I must be special.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Come on Gabe, everyone knows the regulars here are paid employees and/or get special treatment.  😛

Had my share of ups and downs over the years, Hughes always fixed it. Did take a bit of effort on my part sometimes as every site is like servicing a "remote" location. The customer needs to be involved in the troubleshooting process, just too many variables to immediately send a tech or forward problem to the engineers.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Shhhh.  🙂

Me, too.  I had a speed issue when I upgraded to the HN7000S.  I was patient and worked with them and it was back to normal within a couple of weeks.  Actually, in the end, it wound up being slightly faster than the previous modem.  

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

One more:
The cable provider obtains Internet from satellites then broadcast to their customers depending on the "package" said customer has subscribed to! My comment was not meaning that the cable internet customer gets their internet DIRECTLY from a satellite. It meant that all internet providers obtain internet through satellites!
This is simply incorrect mis-information. No amount of exclamation points will make it correct.

You may be confusing satellite-based backbone video distribution networks with ground-based backbone Internet distribution networks.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Again, he is flinging stuff and seeing what sticks. No clue how things really work. Especially the difference between satellite TV and satellite internet.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Oh, gosh, I need to stop re-reading this topic. I keep missing stuff:
Internet is simply a relay of data. So it can be transferred to many satellites not just certain ones.
I've been in the satellite communications business for 35 years. With all due respect and apologies for my bluntness, you really are "full of feathers."
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

LOL, WHAT DA FUQ?  Sorry, but Verizon FIOS, Timewarner Cable, Comcast, CenturyLink do NOT use satellite technology WHAT SO EVER for normal communications!  No land based operator will commit suicide by sending any portion of commercial, or residential traffic to a satellite.  Granted, commercial or enterprise entities might HAVE a satellite backup through Hughesnet or Exede, it would be suicide to use such an uplink to the net.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Alan wins todays internets.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Alan is so kind when being blunt.  🙂

I don't have that attribute.

ARSanders1

Hahaaa you're right I don't know shit about satellite internet! My friend was shouting out all that tech BS! I do know that HughesNet sucks compared to other ISPs! Let me personally ask you this... When ViaSat and EchStar both get their new sats in position, what kind of net will we be experiencing? Speed and price wise relative to today¿
ARSanders1

For real though are you guys like IT guys or what?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Neither company has released any details so speculation is the name of the game.
My guess is that a lot of J2 capacity will go to get Gen4 grade coverage for the center and western US.
Spaceway3 is getting old.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

IT is a bit of a slur to me. I'm more of a tech guy. Science Degree in Electronics Technology and actually repaired and designed things right down to transistors and resistors in the old days. Even vacuum tube stuff. Yes, I'm old.

A SATCOM Superintendent in the Air Force. So I know satellite just a bit.  🙂
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I've been a residential and commercial satellite TV and Internet retailer/technician off and on for 35 years. Licensed amateur radio operator at age 12, AS electronics degree, off-air TV antenna technician for RCA, California-licensed C-10 electrical and communications contractor, an IT network manager, and department manager for a national satellite TV systems manufacturer and a satellite TV guide publisher.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I've been a residential and commercial satellite TV and Internet retailer/technician off and on for 35 years. Licensed amateur radio operator at age 12, AS electronics degree, off-air TV antenna technician for RCA, California-licensed C-10 electrical and communications contractor, an IT network manager, and department manager for a national satellite TV systems manufacturer and a satellite TV guide publisher.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Older than BirdDog and that is going some. 🙂

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Damn double post...

Oh, forgot, left out Rock and Roll musician.

That's where I get my sense of rhythm 🙂
GW
Advanced Tutor

Dang Gabe & BirdDog, your high speeds and maintenance of them are impressive.

Lately, my primetime upload is non-existent. That went in the dumpster a few weeks ago.

I do most of my primetime performance testing with the Hughes Performance test but I try to do some testing with testmy. Not much at night because the upload tests usually fail.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gateswood