Hughesnet Community

Slow slow slow Internet. Videos take forever to download. My son needs internet for school please help!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celisse Renee

Slow slow slow Internet. Videos take forever to download. My son needs internet for school please help!

I was told by hugues net I can purchase my own wireless router. Which one do I get? Please help
My son is needing to stream videos for school.
8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Hi Celisse,

Welcome and thanks for posting, we can certainly help address your concerns. Regarding routers, please check here to get started: http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq/wireless-router?locale=en

On improving video performance, we have some tips here: http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/how-to/improve-video-performance

If you don't believe you're not getting the appropriate speeds your plan offers, we can troubleshoot here. Please post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Are you over your data limit for the month?
Celisse Renee

I JUST got it installed yesterday
Celisse Renee

I will look into these as soon as I get home
Celisse Renee

Thank you for letting me know
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Videos will eat a rather large chunk of data, just be warned, the first 20 days of service, Hughesnet will reset your data daily instead of monthly.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Celisse,

You can go to http://testmy.net/, create an account, and run some download tests under that account.  Connect a single device directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable (NO ROUTER)Run some tests using the manual 12MB test size for download tests, and the 2MB size for upload tests, though the download speed is more of a concern, here.  Run a batch of at least three tests, each one spaced five minutes apart.  If you can, it would be best to run a batch of tests at different times of the day, preferably morning, afternoon and evening. 

After you have run some tests, click on the "Results" tab and copy and paste the URL from the Results page into a post.  This will allow the tests to be looked at. 

It's important to create the account and run the tests under the account created.  This will keep all of the test results in a central location, allowing them to be looked at for patterns. 

It's also VERY important to make sure that you are using only a single device, connected directly to the modem, when running the tests.  The router can add problems, which is why it needs to be eliminated when doing the tests. 

Liz

Hi Celisse,

We're closing this thread since it's been a while since we heard back from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!