Hughesnet Community

Slow slow slow....might as well have dial up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad73

Slow slow slow....might as well have dial up

Cant really believe it took 45 min to download a 60 mb game. And I'm not even close to my limit.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

So your complaint is about speeds? Latency?  We can't help you if you don't detail what's going on.   Please provide more details. 

Brad73 wrote:
Cant really believe it took 45 min to download a 60 mb game. And I'm not even close to my limit.

When I put a check mark by an email to delete - I have to sit and wait and wait and wait just for the mark to appear.

Then browsing is sometimes fast and them other times very slow.  Not consistant.  

GabeU

@Brad73 

Download servers can sometimes be "moody" when it comes to HughesNet, including those that normally work fine for you.  For a few days recently I had been trying to download a ~ 2GB file from the Raspberry Pi servers, and each time it was saying it was going to take days, with the speed topping out at about 8 KB/s.  Downloads from other sites/servers were just fine.  It's just this particular one was acting up.  I was finally able to download it when it was back to working properly yesterday.  

One thing you can try when you're having slow speeds is to either power cycle the modem or reboot it from the System Control Center sub page.  

To power cycle the modem, first shut down your computer, if using one, then unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or power pack (DO NOT unplug it at the back of the modem), wait for at least a minute, then plug it back in. Then wait for about five minutes to ensure that the modem is fully back up and ready, turn your computer back on, and then try your activity again.

To reboot from the SCC sub page, go to this page and click on Reboot, then click Okay in the popup.  The modem will then perform a reboot procedure, and again, like with the power cycle, it's best to wait about five minutes after it reboots in order to ensure that it's fully back up and ready, and then try your activity again.  

What these two things do is refresh the modem's connection, which can cause it to be faster for a time, though there's no guarantee.  

ajeannieo
New Poster

I am a new member also and it is slow slow slow just doing email and some browsing.  Not a happy camper

after only a day and a half!!!

GabeU

@ajeannieo 

If you'd like help with your speed issues, please start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here.  It would be beneficial for you to run a few speed tests and paste the Results page URL in the post.  The instructions for running the speed tests, which need to be done in a specific way in order to give the most accurate result, are here.

Liz

Good morning Brad, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!