Hughesnet Community

Slow speed. Impossible watch You Yube ( stops to download 3-5 times, picture quality is poor) Web page download is 1-2 mins.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marpolo71

Slow speed. Impossible watch You Yube ( stops to download 3-5 times, picture quality is poor) Web page download is 1-2 mins.

Since the installation my Hughes service doesn't work as promised. I informed Hughes many times. I spent hours with Hughes representatives and Hughes maintenance contractor(don't remember the name) My laptop/modem/router settings were changed by those professionals via remote control of my equipment. Nothing works. I bought new router which works with Hughes equipment. Same result. It takes minutes to download web page, it takes minutes and many video interruptions to download and watch YouTube.Quality of image is poor.How many times I need to complain to fix it? Also I can't access http://192.168.0.1/ and can't check Speed on Dash board it never worked.I checked speed through speedtest.net yesterday. Results: 0.8 mbps download and 4mbps upload!!! I pay for 10 mbps. Before Hughes I had EXEED with 5 mbps. It worked perfectly , even in hard rainy day. i made a mistake to take Hughes. What I can do to get out of unfair contract with Hughes without penalties? Any idea?
16 REPLIES 16
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you can't access http://192.168.0.1/ then you have a networking problem on your side, not HughesNet equipment. Plug one computer directly into the modem and see if things are better.

We can help you straighten out your router issues once we know one computer works when directly connected to the modem.
marpolo71

I'll do it. But what about speed????
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If the router is misconfigured then that can impact your speed. Why I'm asking you to first try without the router.
Chris11
Alum

Hello marpolo,

I agree with BirdDog. I would hope when talking with our reps that this was already a step recommended. However if not, the best way for us to pinpoint what we can do to improve your experience, is by removing potential bottlenecks. While directly connected, you should be able to access http://192.168.0.1/ with no issues. That is simply the link to the system control center built in to our modems. 

For speed tests, please head to www.testmy.net. This site is correctly configured to test satellite internet speeds. You'll need to run manual tests of 12 MB for download, and 2 MB for upload. Then post your results. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
chris
marpolo71

192.168.0.1 is recent problem. I got it yesterday. I forgot to check with cable. What about speed till yesterday??? My router was checked by Hughes representative. He played with my laptop settings for 1 hour. Nothing changed. I paid $150 for new router ( works with Hughes modems according to add on it) Nothing changed. I would say that my old Cisco works better. So what to do, spend another 4 hours without result???? For 2 months I don't have promised service. It's a disaster. Slower Exede worked great. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi marpolo,

I cannot speculate on why you may have experienced slow speeds before today. What I want to make sure is that we are troubleshooting this correctly now. I'm sure your new router is fine. However until have more info I cannot provide effective support. So please, when you have the time, test out the service while directly connected via Ethernet. Run some speed tests from testmy.net. I'm sure we can get this resolved for you.

Thanks,
Chris
marpolo71

I do it for 2 months since day I bought it.Installer showed what to do. Technicians from Customer service told me, showed me what to do but I don't see any improvement. I'm fed up to waste my time to set up 1 modem and 1 router. It is not equipment problem. It's HughesNet traffic problem. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

marpolo71, if you can't do a simple thing like connect your computer directly to the modem and test results then no one here will be able to help you. Should take only a few minutes to connect directly to the modem and see if speed is any better.

EDIT: You said you cannot reach http://192.168.0.1/ , that is a definite problem on your end, not HughesNet equipment.
curtis-m
Sophomore

marpolo 71,

I have been dealing with slow internet since my install in May. 4 weeks ago, I decided to complain and was advised to be nice and Hughes would be willing to help. I did all the tests they wanted done so they have all the info they need but still have done nothing.

For all of us who complain about slow internet,  Hughesnet knows there's a problem. If that problem is technical in nature, then it appears that Hughes refuses to implement the fix maybe because it's too costly. If, on the other hand,  the problem is due to overcapacity then Hughes needs to come clean and let us know that things won't be changing until they get their new satellite on line in 2017. 

GL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Right now the elephant in the room in his case is he can't connect to http://192.168.0.1/ . Not the same problem you're having.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

And that smells like a "IP Address Conflict" issue.

Here are some  points

You can not change the IP address of a Hughes modem. It is hardwired at 192.168.0.1:

You CANNOT do a remote LAN IP address change on a router without losing the connection when the change is put into effect.

There are TON of NIC adaptor settings that will affect performance.

There are SEVERAL tons of router settings that will affect performance.

System baseline performance levels need to be established with a single computer connected directly to the Hughes modem.

Hughes, with the exception of a single Dlink router (if ordered and installed at time of service inception) does not provide detailed "Networking" support.

Hughes is your ISP, not your personal IT Department.

If networking support is needed it can be had here in the Community but there is simply too many variables for Hughes to give detailed support for every switch, router and access point by however many manufactures, models and versions since the dawn of time.

Time for some screenshots of key settings of the NIC and the router.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

BirdDog,

Is it possible for there to be a conflict when trying to reach the SCC if the IP address is set to the same for the router?  Might the OP have better luck trying to use http://systemcontrolcenter.com/ instead?  I'm just speculating. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It doesn't matter, a conflict is a conflict, that address is just text form of IP address but still connects directly to the modem interface. The router can not be set to 192.168.0..1 or there will be all sorts of problems like Gwalk talks about below.

Again, trying to get marpolo71 to take the router out of the equation to see if it is as least part of the problem.

Sometimes by the time folks come here they are tired of troubleshooting though....sigh.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Thanks for the info.  The OP definitely needs to try it without the router.  Hopefully he/she will take the advice and do so, otherwise the problem may never be solved. 

billmiller43

I've been a customer for years. I Rate CS as poor, The Hughesnet page as a data HOG! BUT, my Apple Airport Extreme router has always run well. Speed seems to start slow, but keeps building. Just downloaded 18mb in a few seconds. I threw my PC's into the trash years ago, too much fiddling to set up and keep running. OSX 10.11 is trouble free, router sets itself up. Seems like Windoz gets lots of blame to me.
Chris11
Alum

Hi marpolo,

The difference between all other forms of customer service is that we are at the corporate level. With enough data we can escalate your case to our engineers, who'll make changes to your site directly. However, with no recent information there is not much we can do. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Chris