Hughesnet Community

Slow speed, unhappy with service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahartzler1

Slow speed, unhappy with service

This was copied from another thread. I was advised to start my own post.

Our service is slow, it goes down in good weather and bad. Always when least expected and most disruptive. Data was refilled Oct. 10; today it is down to 55% according to the HughesNet meter I installed.  We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets. It's just me and my husband, no kids.

I'm disappointed both with the connection speed, and with how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We will not renew once our contact is done. I have considered asking what the early termination fee is, but haven't yet.

We've only had our service for 2 mos. Started on Sept. 1, 2016. Download speeds are so slow it is almost painful. 😞 I'm a sadder but wiser gal in Kansas. ~mahartzler

[Copied here for historical reference. GabeU said: 

mahartzler,

It would be best if you started your own post to address your issues.  You can do so by clicking the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Incidentally, your devices must be adjusted so they don't use more data than necessary.  If you switch to someone else, your data usage isn't going to change. 

Regarding speeds, you should connect a single device directly to the model with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, and follow the procedures in the following link for testing the speed and posting the results.  The speed tests are the first step in addressing speed issues.  You can post the results in the new post that you create. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx]

61 REPLIES 61
Liz

Hi mahartzler,

Welcome and thanks for posting. As GabeU suggested, to get started addressing your speed concerns, we'll need speed tests to establish your system's current performance. 

Please follow the steps here http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

mahartzler1

I don't own an ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem! Clearly the service isn't all it was hyped to be, and I feel betrayed by the salesman who signed  us up. I think the system is performing as HughesNet intended it to perform. It just does not match the claims made by Century Link.

It makes no difference how the system performs with one of our laptops connected directly to the modem. It needs to work with the router--brand new, out of the box, set up by YOUR technician on the day of install.

Knowing that all HughesNet users have "ticking data clocks," I am amazed that your home page has so much graphics and moving parts that take forever to download. It took me 6 (SIX) times just to log in just now. I am surely not the only one who can't afford $100 a month for high speed internet. If you sell basic service, it needs to perform as advertised. Knowing that your customers have limited data allowances, why in the world would you program your websites with so much information that uses up precious data allowance? You're either stupid or you're crooks.

Additionally, I originally created a profile here in this community with my gmail address (I don't use HughesNet for email). The next time I was in the community, a profile was created for me with my HughesNet email address. I could not login with my gmail address, nor could I change the profile from HughesNet email to gmail, as it kept telling me that email was already in use.

I am NOT happy!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

mahartzler,

The reason the tests need to be run connected directly to the modem is to rule out any problems that your router may be causing, so it definitely does make a difference how the system performs directly connected.  Hughesnet provides service to LAN port on the back of the modem, so when testing, a single device needs to be directly connected.  They aren't responsible for routers or anything else in your network.  They can test the speeds remotely, but it's not quite the same as you testing directly connected. 

Also, you can use an adblocker to stop ads from loading so you can save some data. 

Jim Lewellyn

My computer is hooked up direct without using the router. I have more memory added just shortly badger changing over to Hugh's.
Liz

Good morning mahartzler,

You or your husband can't borrow an ethernet cable from someone? Perhaps from IT at work or a neighbor?

As Gabe explained, we do want you to be able to use your router to enjoy wifi, but we need to determine what speeds you're getting directly from the HughesNet modem.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

mahartzler1

No, we can't borrow a cable. He works at Hobby Lobby, and I am disabled.This is how you run your business? Suggesting people borrow things in order to run equipment tests for your convenience? No, not going to do that. We'll endure until we can terminate. You won't get any good word of mouth from me, though, whether in person or online. I'll make sure everyone knows just how poor the product is, and how dishonest the service is. Clearly you care more about lining your pockets than doing what's best for the customer. If that were untrue, you'd have a different home page with less data to download. Service is running fine today, logged in the first time. Apparently there are times when it will work better than others. With a $400 early termination fee, we won't be terminating early, though I'd like to.
Ricky
Tutor

A Ethernet cable is not that expensive. It will save you a lot of frustration if you would just go buy a cheap one and do the test. No other way around it unless you just want to suffer through the slow service without knowing if you could have fixed it with such a small investment.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm confused. If you have a wireless router connected to the modem then you already have an Ethernet cable. You simply use that same cable to connect directly to the modem with a single laptop.

Am I missing something?
Liz

Hi mahartzler,

I'm glad to hear the HughesNet service is performing to your satisfaction today! This isn't protocol, but in case you do have speed concerns again, I've sent you a complimentary router (a ~$100 value) which comes with an ethernet cord. 

You can use the ethernet cord to do the proper speed tests for troubleshooting, and if needed, you may use the router to switch with your current one to see if it works better for you.

If you have additional concerns, feel free to come back to the community, we're here to help.

Thanks,
Liz

maratsade

If I'm reading the posts correctly, the person who has the router connected directly to the computer is Jim Llewellyn, not mahartzler.
maratsade

"No, we can't borrow a cable. He works at Hobby Lobby, and I am disabled.This is how you run your business? Suggesting people borrow things in order to run equipment tests for your convenience? No, not going to do that."  How do you expect them to help you, then?  Wouldn't you rather "endure" with a system that works?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

She said, "We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets". How is she connecting those? Again, confused.
Liz

Well just had a dunce moment. BirdDog is correct, if one has a router, one has an ethernet cable because the router has to be connected to the modem. (is it friday yet?)

In any case, mahartzler will have a new router and cable to work with if needed.

-Liz

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Liz, you're just still in shock from the Cubs win like the rest of us. : )
maratsade

Oh, goodness. I need a dunce cap. Does HN send those?
Liz

I stopped watching baseball after the Nats got booted out T__T  

GabeU

Oh, goodness. I need a dunce cap. Does HN send those?
Maybe I can send you one.  I've earned a few over my time here.  LOL. 
maratsade

Awesome! LOL
mahartzler1

For some odd reason, I'm not getting email notifications for replies in this thread. It says I'm following this thread, but it doesn't send emails. IDK

First, I had no idea that I could use the cable that connects the modem to the router, or that it was an ethernet cable. It must be hard for all of you to deal with dumbasses like me.

Second, while I appreciate your thoughtfulness at sending the router, I am concerned because in my neighborhood packages disappear off my porch before I can retrieve them. I don't let my shipments get delivered to the house, I always pick them up from FedEx or UPS. The US Postal Service is the only one I can't control. I hope you requested a signature.

My husband is quite upset about all of this, particularly at how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We don't play a lot of games, and we don't download movies. We are in the process of looking for a house in a neighborhood that doesn't steal packages off our porch (if such exists), or a home with some acreage where the neighbors aren't close enough to see packages delivered. I suspect our data allowance is being consumed by our home searches.

As I said before, I think the speed is what HughesNet intended it to be, just not what the sales rep at Century Link promised. We talked about our data usage, and he opined that 10GB would be more than enough, given our internet usage, and the fact that we don't download movies and such. Clearly, he was wrong. Clearly, signing up with HughesNet wasn't the best financial decision we've ever made.

We'll make do, somehow. I do have a question about purchasing and using tokens. When I purchase tokens, are they automatically applied? Or do I have to login to apply them? Thanks.
GabeU

mahartzler,

With regard to the emails, make sure that whatever email you use hasn't, for whatever reason, blocked the emails from the Community.  Sometimes that can happen. 

Also (and I'm sure you've probably done this), make sure that your settings are correct in the "notification" part of your profile.