Hughesnet Community

Slow speed, unhappy with service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahartzler1

Slow speed, unhappy with service

This was copied from another thread. I was advised to start my own post.

Our service is slow, it goes down in good weather and bad. Always when least expected and most disruptive. Data was refilled Oct. 10; today it is down to 55% according to the HughesNet meter I installed.  We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets. It's just me and my husband, no kids.

I'm disappointed both with the connection speed, and with how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We will not renew once our contact is done. I have considered asking what the early termination fee is, but haven't yet.

We've only had our service for 2 mos. Started on Sept. 1, 2016. Download speeds are so slow it is almost painful. 😞 I'm a sadder but wiser gal in Kansas. ~mahartzler

[Copied here for historical reference. GabeU said: 

mahartzler,

It would be best if you started your own post to address your issues.  You can do so by clicking the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Incidentally, your devices must be adjusted so they don't use more data than necessary.  If you switch to someone else, your data usage isn't going to change. 

Regarding speeds, you should connect a single device directly to the model with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, and follow the procedures in the following link for testing the speed and posting the results.  The speed tests are the first step in addressing speed issues.  You can post the results in the new post that you create. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx]

61 REPLIES 61
mahartzler1

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting emails from this post. I just asked the system to verify my hughesnet email address, but I haven't received an email yet.  How long does it take?  As I said earlier, it won't let me use my Gmail email because I used that email to sign up for the community originally.  Now I cannot get logged on using that Gmail account.  The system won't let me add that email address to the present login, saying it is already taken (yeah, by me). On subsequent entries into the community, the system automatically created a login for me using the hughesnet email address. 
mahartzler1

In the notifications, all are checked EXCEPT the one "Notify me of all new topics in HughesNet," and the one beneath that "Notify me of every new topics and every new reply."
mahartzler1

I just checked each of those and asked for verification again, still no email.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The first thing at the top of the page should be "Email Addresses".  Make sure that the boxes under your email address(s) are checked.  That's the spot that determines what notifications you get from the posts in this community.   
GabeU

Hmmm.  No verification?  That's odd.  I'm stumped. 
mahartzler1

Yeah, the 4 or 5 boxes underneath the email address are all checked. I originally unchecked the boxes for company wide notifications, as I didn't think that was necessary. HughesNet email was working when I replied in the other thread, but hasn't sent one notification on this thread. I just keep logging in occasionally to check for replies.
GabeU

Get Satisfaction might be able to fix the problem of you not being able to use your Gmail account.  I had a similar problem due to signing up for a GetSat account through IMDB, but had completely forgotten about it.  I had the problem of signing in with it due to that and they reset some things so I could use the same account here. 
mahartzler1

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.
GabeU

So you've got everything set right.  Again, I'm stumped.  Maybe someone else has some ideas or maybe something needs to be reset.  I haven't a clue. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

mahartzler,

. "I do have a question about purchasing and using tokens. When I purchase tokens, are they automatically applied? Or do I have to login to apply them? Thanks."

There are a couple of ways to access tokens, here are the detail of one of them:

Open your "Dashboard" here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Before we can discuss Tokens, we have to understand the details of "Data Buckets"

You really have three sources of data from which to draw:

(times are for Gen4 monthly plans)

(all times are "local")

(click on pictures for larger images)

#1: Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)

#2: Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)

#3: Token Bytes (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

The above shows all three "data buckets"

One method of purchasing Tokens is to click the "Token Management" link as shown below:

That links brings up the following:

As shown below, that page has two parts:

The "purchase" area and the "available" area:

Clicking one of the "purchase" links will cause that denomination of Token to be charged to your bill. It is NOT however ready for use ... it is added to an "available" category.

After clicking "purchase" watch the screen closely. A very brief confirmation screen will appear:

After the confirmation, the number of "available" Tokens will increase by one:

At this point you have been charged for the Token, you "own" the Token, but it has NOT been added to your allowance yet.

In fact it is NEVER added to your Anytime or Bonus Bytes allowance categories. however after "USE" it is added to your "Token Bytes" data bucket (#3 in the first graphic)

In order to release a Token for use we have to click the "use" button:

After you click "use" two things will occur:

The number of "available" Tokens will decrease by one

The value of the Token will be added to your "Token Bucket":

After a short delay, refresh the meter display and the Token data should be visible in your "Token Bucket":

Tokens can also be accessed from the Download Status Meter in a similar fashion.

mahartzler

Thank you.
mahartzler

I just logged off the HughesNet generated account and logged in with Facebook. No emails going to that account either. I'm totally stumped.
mahartzler

I thought there was a button somewhere for "get satisfaction." But I'm unable to find it. My disability has me spending a lot of time in the bathroom today, so I'm going to log off for now. Thanks for your help.
GabeU

I remember that one of the reps actually helped me with the problem and contacted Get Satisfaction.   I remember it was a private post, though, and they don't show up in past threads under my profile, so I'm not sure who I talked to about it.  I'm reasonably sure it was either Liz or Amanda.  

If I were you, I would start a new, private post about this particular issue, and I'm sure one of the reps will help.  Be sure to make the post private in case you need to give any personal info or anything. 

Hope you feel better soon.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Getting email copies can be a issue.

Get Satisfaction is nearly notorious for "issues"

At time Hughes will block the flood of GS mail traffic as spam

Difficult to fix.

GS does have a "support" site. Sometimes they respond, other times it just goes "Poof"

Here is what I did. I created my Community login as a Get Satisfaction account:

I selected a "Get Satisfaction" type of account:

I also used a Hughesnet email address at this point. It is used just for login.

After creating the account I signed in using the "GS" account:

After signing in I logged into my Community "Profile" and added a secondary email account.

The Primary is Hughesnet

The Secondary is a non-hughes account. Gmail, Yahoo, whatever.

The I "switched" email notification accounts so that the non-Hughes was set to receive notices.

The Hughes address of record is still the address used for logging into the Community.

Liz

Good morning mahartzler,

We don't have a shipping option in our system to require signatures, but if after a couple weeks you have not received the router, please let me know so we can try again.

Regarding your unidentified data usage, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

mahartzler

Thank you. I'll try to watch for it. We're hoping to leave this neighborhood for that very reason (among others).
mahartzler

I am happy to report that logging with Facebook has fixed the email problem. I am now getting email notices, and to the address I wanted in the first place. 🙂
mahartzler

May I ask one more stupid question? What happens if you run out of data and do not purchase tokens? Just curious.
maratsade

If you have Smart Browsing you apparently can still do regular browsing (loading up websites, doing email) but other things are throttled (things such as streaming or downloading files).  I haven't had to use Smart Browsing yet (knock on wood) but people in this community have commented it works great.  I still have some tokens in reserve just in case.
maratsade

Jezra, do you know what the speed is for Smart Browsing?