Hughesnet Community

Slow speed, unhappy with service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahartzler1

Slow speed, unhappy with service

This was copied from another thread. I was advised to start my own post.

Our service is slow, it goes down in good weather and bad. Always when least expected and most disruptive. Data was refilled Oct. 10; today it is down to 55% according to the HughesNet meter I installed.  We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets. It's just me and my husband, no kids.

I'm disappointed both with the connection speed, and with how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We will not renew once our contact is done. I have considered asking what the early termination fee is, but haven't yet.

We've only had our service for 2 mos. Started on Sept. 1, 2016. Download speeds are so slow it is almost painful. 😞 I'm a sadder but wiser gal in Kansas. ~mahartzler

[Copied here for historical reference. GabeU said: 

mahartzler,

It would be best if you started your own post to address your issues.  You can do so by clicking the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Incidentally, your devices must be adjusted so they don't use more data than necessary.  If you switch to someone else, your data usage isn't going to change. 

Regarding speeds, you should connect a single device directly to the model with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, and follow the procedures in the following link for testing the speed and posting the results.  The speed tests are the first step in addressing speed issues.  You can post the results in the new post that you create. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx]

61 REPLIES 61
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It honestly is how you are set up.
If you visit a website that is graphic intensive (many ads, auto start videos, hi-res pics) the "data draw" will kick you out of SmartBrowse (normal or near normal speeds) and drop you into FAP mode ... about 150 Kbps.

Here is the thing, how many devices do you have connected ? How many programs and additional background processes are connecting and "consuming" so that your  .... aggregate "data draw" drops you out of SB and into FAP.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Is there a somewhat easy way to prevent those annoying auto-start videos from running?  I have Flash Block but it doesn't seem to work well with many of those videos .. I guess they're HTML 5?  I usually just close the page, or use the reader view if available.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

There are also HTML5 blockers for browsers. A search will reveal the different ones depending which browser you use.

I just manually block them with AdBlock Plus by selecting the element and blocking it.
maratsade

I have ABP too -- I will try element blocking. Thanks!
mahartzler

Tokens purchased a day ago but still grayed out, unable to use. What am I doing wrong? I thought I needed to pay for them now, but the system won't let me. It shows a balance of $10, but it won't let me pay that balance. I'm down to 13% on data. 😞
Liz

Good morning,

When you buy tokens, you won't see your Anytime/Bonus Bytes increase, instead, you will see the Token Bytes Available amount increase, as seen here:

Currently you have 13% of your Anytime Bytes, but in addition, you have 1500 MB of token bytes to fall back on.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

mahartzler

Yeah, I guess I thought I had to tell the system to use the tokens, based upon a post above. So, when the "now 10%" runs out, it will automatically move to the token bytes?
Liz

Yes, if you run out of Anytime Bytes during 8am-2am, you'll automatically start using any token bytes available. If you run out of Bonus Bytes during the Bonus hours (2am-8am), you'll start using Anytime Bytes available, and if you are out of Anytime Bytes, then you'll use token bytes. 

Your token bytes are like your safety net.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Clicking the "use" button transfers the token data from its  ..... place of purchase .... to your "Token Bytes Available" data bucket.

From there they will be used automatically when all of your Anytime Bytes are depleted.

It is worth noting that if you have Token Data still remaining when your monthly refill occurs you will not lose that Token Data. It will just sit in your "Token Bucket" until needed.

mahartzler

Thank you.
GabeU

Glad to hear it. 
mahartzler

Are token bytes "throttled down" to a slower speed? Or am I just experiencing a fluctuation this morning? 😞
GabeU

No.  They act just as Anytime and Bonus Bytes do.  It might just be the occasional slowdown or something.  I hope it speeds up for you. 

shannontrimble

You took the words out of my mouth. I agree with everything you said and how you feel about this. I upgraded to see if it would be faster , I was paying 91.00 and it still was slow, so i downgraded ,paying 51 for what ? Thank god my neighbor is letting me use her WIFI,for my daughter to do online school. Or we would be at the libray 4 hours a day.. Horrible company. You are paying a lot for slow internet. They told me i need to turn off all my devices in the house just to save data. I should not have to do that.. I'll take Brighthouse all day. They are Excellent but I can only get Hughnet where i live.
GabeU

shannontrimble,

It would be best to start your own post if you would like to receive help with your issue.  It would also help to run some tests as outlined in the first response (the one by Liz) and post your results in the new post. 

As for data usage, with a capped service one has to adjust things so they use as little data as possible. 

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Mahartzler,

I just wanted to mention that it's not necessary to log onto the Hughesnet home page in order to get to your dashboard or this community. I didn't even know there WAS a homepage until a few weeks ago when someone posted an objection to some political content, lol!

I always go to my.hughesnet.com and that brings me directly to my dashboard. I can check my data usage and then click on "community," which takes me right here.

I also wanted to mention that there is a specific way to disable auto-play on Facebook. There are several threads about that in this forum.

Hope this helps! 🙂
mahartzler

Thanks for that tip on getting directly to the dashboard. I don't autoplay anything with any social network. Thanks again.
mahartzler

Liz, I received the router. We have decided to pay the $400 ETF and return to the broadband world.  I've purchased $46 worth of tokens in the last 10 days, and we don't refill until the 10th. We are obviously larger internet users than we thought. We simply cannot afford to stay with satellite internet. I have not opened the HughesNet router, and would be glad to return it if you'll give me instructions. You can email me at [edited]. ~Mary Ann
Liz

Hi Mary,

Thank you for letting me know. No need to return the router, it's yours to keep. 

-Liz

ljhouston99

It would be nice if you folks stuck to topic instead of jerking this community around with your sophomoric antics.