cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed, unhappy with service

Professor

Re: Slow speed, unhappy with service

If you have Smart Browsing you apparently can still do regular browsing (loading up websites, doing email) but other things are throttled (things such as streaming or downloading files).  I haven't had to use Smart Browsing yet (knock on wood) but people in this community have commented it works great.  I still have some tokens in reserve just in case.
Professor

Jezra, do you know what the speed is for Smart Browsing?
Honorary Alumnus

It honestly is how you are set up.
If you visit a website that is graphic intensive (many ads, auto start videos, hi-res pics) the "data draw" will kick you out of SmartBrowse (normal or near normal speeds) and drop you into FAP mode ... about 150 Kbps.

Here is the thing, how many devices do you have connected ? How many programs and additional background processes are connecting and "consuming" so that your  .... aggregate "data draw" drops you out of SB and into FAP.
Professor

Is there a somewhat easy way to prevent those annoying auto-start videos from running?  I have Flash Block but it doesn't seem to work well with many of those videos .. I guess they're HTML 5?  I usually just close the page, or use the reader view if available.
Assistant Professor

There are also HTML5 blockers for browsers. A search will reveal the different ones depending which browser you use.

I just manually block them with AdBlock Plus by selecting the element and blocking it.
Professor

I have ABP too -- I will try element blocking. Thanks!

Tokens purchased a day ago but still grayed out, unable to use. What am I doing wrong? I thought I needed to pay for them now, but the system won't let me. It shows a balance of $10, but it won't let me pay that balance. I'm down to 13% on data. Smiley Sad

Good morning,

When you buy tokens, you won't see your Anytime/Bonus Bytes increase, instead, you will see the Token Bytes Available amount increase, as seen here:

Currently you have 13% of your Anytime Bytes, but in addition, you have 1500 MB of token bytes to fall back on.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Yeah, I guess I thought I had to tell the system to use the tokens, based upon a post above. So, when the "now 10%" runs out, it will automatically move to the token bytes?

Yes, if you run out of Anytime Bytes during 8am-2am, you'll automatically start using any token bytes available. If you run out of Bonus Bytes during the Bonus hours (2am-8am), you'll start using Anytime Bytes available, and if you are out of Anytime Bytes, then you'll use token bytes. 

Your token bytes are like your safety net.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->