Hughesnet Community

Slow speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cladywood

Slow speed

I just got HughesNet this morning 25mbps. I had 10mbps with centurylink dsl. I am very disappointed as ever since the change my speed seems twice as slow instead of twice as fast. What gives?
2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cladywood

To address speed issues, the first thing that needs to be done is to establish the speeds you are getting.  To do that, some tests will need to be run, but the results of such will also help to point in the direction of the possible cause of the issue.  The following is the protocol for the speed tests...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5))

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

Brooke
Alum

Hi cladywood, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Sometimes the modem may be fine tuning itself after activation that can cause the speeds to run a bit slowly; this should only last for a few hours typically. However there are some cases it can be up to 24 hours. 

I pulled up your account and ran a speed test and on our end and the results came out pretty low. Because the modem is newly activated, some data is currently unavailable in my tools to pinpoint this issue. I would second Gabe's suggestion to run some speed tests also on your end to compare to my results. I would do some tonight and tomorrow, so we can see if the speeds improve overnight. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Brooke