Hughesnet Community

Slow speed!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marmisg

Slow speed!

I can get on my tablet and phone just fine but when I try to watch tv it just keeps loading and loading.. I'm getting sick of it!! Anyone have any advice!! 

15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@marmisg 

A couple of things you can try are lowering the resolution of the stream, using the app or at the source, and/or turning off or pausing the Video Data Saver.  

Streaming can be a bit touchy with HughesNet due to the combination of system congestion and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, and it can be worse in the evenings, when the congestion is at its most significant due to a higher number of people being online.

If neither of those things help, you may want to check your overall speed.  You can do so at testmy.net, and using the protocol shown below, which is also the protocol for testing when someone is having speed issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Shan51
New Poster

If this is Thurs two days ago..

I'm having issues too. Starting yesterday our lower speeds have now gone to none to minimal. I can't even get to a website much less stream anything. Normally can stream in SD off several Roku channels now it's buffering terribly. My phone will say no internet connection. I called Hughes Net twice and trouble shooted everything. 2 mos ago it did this and our dish was misaligned. It was fixed and all has been fine...until now. If this continues might need to look into another service. 

maratsade

The reps on this site deal with one case at a time, so if you would like for them to check on your modem and dish, please post your report as a new ticket. You can do this by going to the main tech support page and clicking on the blue button labeled Start a topic. Provide details and they will look into the issue.   Or you can call the 24-hour toll-free number too. 

Make sure you still have data -- if you're out of data, the speed is throttled and you will experience issues streaming. 

@Shan51 wrote:

If this is Thurs two days ago..

I'm having issues too. Starting yesterday our lower speeds have now gone to none to minimal. I can't even get to a website much less stream anything. Normally can stream in SD off several Roku channels now it's buffering terribly. My phone will say no internet connection. I called Hughes Net twice and trouble shooted everything. 2 mos ago it did this and our dish was misaligned. It was fixed and all has been fine...until now. If this continues might need to look into another service. 

Thank you! I've contacted hughes net twice. They said our dish is aligned ok they wanted to say it's weather obstruction with cloud cover. Ridiculous as it's been a mix of sun and clouds and it's never been this bad before even with impending bad weather. We've rebooted the equipment twice too. I just found out our neighbors have Viasat. As long term hughes net customers we might have to switch providers. I'm going to look into it. I thought it was a federal regulation that internet speeds still have to stay in a certain range on lower speeds and hughes net has dropped the ball.

maratsade

Well, good luck with your new ISP if you decide to change. I'd never go with the other guy...too many years checking out their community webpage (spoiler: the issues people had were awful). But you may be lucky. 🙂

HughesNet adheres to federal law. No satellite provider can guarantee speeds; too many variables. The other guys can't either, as you might learn.  But I certainly hope you will be very lucky and won't have to worry about it. 🙂

Thank you so much! I haven't read reviews yet so I appreciate you letting me know. I won't make a quick decision. I'm just wondering why our slow speeds are usually ok but now it's so bad my phone was saying no internet connection. Can't do anything even simple like going to websites. It's like it's not accessible at all which is not acceptable.

maratsade

Are you out of data? Sometimes sudden drops in speeds mean you've been throttled. Can you go here?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

That's the page for your modem.  Check out the state code. You're looking for 0.0.0 -- if it's anything other than that, please post that code.  If you have a 0.0.0 then it may be something else -- it could be something with your dish. You'll need the reps for that -- they'll be back on Monday, or you can call the 800 number. If you call and they tell you everything is hunky dory, then it could be something else, and for that, the techs need to be involved, so you'll need to wait for the reps to come back Monday.  The phone people can only do so much; they don't seem to have much access. 

Thank you I will try the link you sent. Yesterday afternoon when it started acting up I called Hughes net. They trouble shooter said my equipment and dish appeared ok. They said disconnect extra devices connected to wifi (I did and still had the problem). They said the weather. I said weather here was fine. Today I decided to talk to the foreigners who answer on the weekend. Ha! I actually a fairly nice guy who also said the weather (which is still fine here). He gave me 4G of free data to help me out so that's what I'm using now. 

...and yes we're out of high speed data. But we always can still do internet surfing and stream SD shows on TV on the lower speed.

maratsade

The problem is you're at the mercy of other HN subscribers using the system and clogging it, sadly.  So the 0.0.0 shows the equipment is working as it should. Your wild variable is other people clogging up the system. This is particularly bad during prime time and weekends, when people are home and trying to stream. Unfortunately, there isn't a solution for this.  Even if things work for you for a while, all that needs to happen is a few new accounts in your area to affect your connection. I still think it may be a good idea for you to start a new ticket so the reps here can see if there's a way to improve your experience. 

Wow so I was wondering that. Sometimes at night certain TV streaming channels have more buffering. Other ones come through just fine. Never have it go on during the day. It started yesterday afternoon and continued with lower than normal speed this morning.

GabeU

@Shan51 wrote:

Wow so I was wondering that. Sometimes at night certain TV streaming channels have more buffering. Other ones come through just fine. Never have it go on during the day. It started yesterday afternoon and continued with lower than normal speed this morning.

The combination of system congestion and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet can cause significant buffering problems with streaming.  The high latency is pretty much always the same around the clock, with most of it as a result of the distance the signal has to travel to and from the satellite, but the more congestion there is the worse the buffering can be, even in lower resolutions and even when overall system speed is adequate.

I used the link you provided. Thank you! It shows 0.0.0

maratsade

That shows the system is working. Problem is, you probably have a lot of people around you doing data intensive things and cutting into your enjoyment.  😞

Liz

Good morning marmisg,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!