cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed-

New Poster

Slow speed-

Why can't I get the speed Hughes Net promised and advertises on TV? Please review my account details. I have called about this issue many times. The last fix work well for a while but the speed seems to get slower over time. I know Hughes Net has the capability to slow down the speed--which I believe is what is happening with my services even though I have not exceeded my data usage. This morning I was up at 2:00 am trying to download files. However, the speed was so slow I wasn’t able to complete the download. Several downloads I was required to cancel because the speed was too slow. I completed several speed test which returned between 6-8 Mbps

I have contacted a competitor that offers better services. Viasat believes they can exceed my expectation for speed.

4 REPLIES 4
Professor

Re: Slow speed-

"Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy.."  Source: http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Additionally, you should review this document, which outlines what you need to do to get speed issues escalated to corporate engineering:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

(as an aside, you may want to read the other company's  community website to educate yourself about the issues their users are experiencing). 

Assistant Professor

@JAWRIGHT2468 , they do not purposefully target individuals and slow their speed. Many things can slow speed over satellite, not the least of which is congestion. Or you could have an equipment problem. Will most likely be at least Monday until an official rep responds here, otherwise you can always call the phone number or try chat.

Good morning JAWRIGHT2468,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! What maratsade and BirdDog explained are correct. To further address your concerns I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your HughesNet system; all is working well. I'm even seeing the modem providing +32 Mbps in download speeds. What I am seeing, however is that you have 10 devices connected to your network. Please keep in mind that the speed we provide will be further divided amongst all connected devices. You may want to try disconnecting devices when not in use, some may be updating/communicating in the background. 

This article by an authorized HughesNet retailer is focused on data management, but lists the many ways your internet connection can be used without your knowledge. Avoiding congestion on the home network can improve performance.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Good morning JAWRIGHT2468,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. Hopefully the information provided here helped. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->