Hughesnet Community

Slow speeds. Not what I'm paying for. Ready to cancal!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesflom

Slow speeds. Not what I'm paying for. Ready to cancal!!!

I got Hughes on June 29 and right away we had slow speeds. Hulu wont play with out buffering and facebook wont play videos with out buffering.  I've called Hughes at least 4 times. they sent the install guy back out once and all his stuff is good. He tried a different router and it did the same thing. I've ran speed test at testmynet and I've had results ranging from 800 kbps to 15 mbps.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm getting for a speed hulu and facebook still buffer.  I've got plenty of data still so its not slow because I'm over that.  
26 REPLIES 26
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When doing the tests at testmy.net, please make sure you use the 12MB download package for testing, and that your computer is directly attached to the modem and not the router.

Can you provide a URL to your testmy.net account so the test results can be reviewed?  Should look something like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE
jamesflom

I just did what u said to do and my results were 3 mbps and 4.1 mbps. I have the 15 mbps plan.
jamesflom

I still have my old internet plan hooked up still it is frontier dsl and I can watch facebook videos with it but not hulu. The only reason I signed up for hughes was they said I'd be able to watch hulu with no problems.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Corrosive,

Why the large tests sizes?  Is there a specific reason you use such large sizes?

I'm getting some fantastic speeds lately.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

GabeU

jamesflom,

Can you provide the results URL from your testmy.net speed tests, if you already have an account set up, that is?

Make sure that when you perform the tests outlined by Corrosive you create an account and do the tests under that account.  This will keep a record of the tests run and the results, which the Official Reps will need.  The record also shows a pattern and allows individual tests to be selected to view the results.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To make sure there isn't a random anomaly that is triggering false high speeds.  Need to remember... I have a rather complicated home network that can make things look better than they should be.  It's hard to catch the real-time speeds of a 12MB test sample on my network to make sure it and the results are similar.  Larger sizes makes my life a bit easier.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please follow this guide for any and all future tests jamesflom.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

The test results URL for all tests is required for reporting to engineering teams.

EDIT: I think this MIGHT be jamesflom on testmy.net http://testmy.net/quickstats/Jamesf  which would indicate that speeds are in fact at an acceptable level when using the proper package sizes.
GabeU

I saw his speed tests, too.  I think the automatic tests are giving lower speeds due to variances.  I see the full size speed tests are pretty good. 

GabeU

Ah.  That makes sense.
jamesflom

GabeU here are my results.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Jamesf

GabeU

James,

I see you have some definite variances.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

What you should do, and what the reps will need, is a series of tests over time.  Try to do a block of at least three tests, each test being spaced at least five minutes apart, and do a block at different times of the day, if you are able.  Perhaps one block in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening.  This will help to give the reps an idea of what's going on.  They are on M-F, so they will be back on Monday. 

Also, as noted earlier, make sure that when you do the tests you are connected directly to the modem, no router. 

Normally, it's requested that the tests are done with the manual 12MB test size, but if they take more than seven seconds, they will resize, often to much higher sizes, so if you see this happening often, it's okay to use the 15MB size, as they don't automatically resize.  If this isn't happening often, though, you should use the 12MB test size.

If you wanted to run any upload tests, use the manual 2MB size for those, not the 12MB size like with the download tests.        

GabeU

Corrosive,

It's on!!!  LOL.

I just figured I'd try one of those large tests to see if it gave me any different of a result.  I still have nearly all of my Bonus Bytes, so I figured, why not?

I do a lot of tests, as you'll easily notice.  LOL.. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Set Hulu player to medium or low quality. Never high, auto or HD.

https://help.hulu.com/articles/21148167
Chris11
Alum

Hello Jamesflom,

Welcome to the community! We appreciate the post. I see our community members have gotten you on the right track. I did notice that you mentioned the tech trying a different router when testing Hulu, Facebook, etc. Have you tried just plugging one computer directly to the HughesNet modem via Ethernet? This would be the most efficient way of testing your true speeds locally. Also, the tests that you've run so far seem to be mainly during the same time of day. As mentioned by others the best way for us to get an overall average would be to run a batch of tests throughout the day. Please go ahead and run some more with just one computer directly connected. With this we'll be better equipped to address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
jamesflom

Hello Chris,

Yes I have tried plugging one computer directly to the HughesNet modem via Ethernet. I have ran test other times of the day but it was before I set up my account at testmynet. Just to clarify facebook videos work fine on the computer but buffer on cell phones. I plugged an ethernet net cable into my tv and it still buffers watching Hulu.  To watch a 10 second facebook video on my phone will take about 2 minutes and it doesn't make a difference what time of day it is.

ricolcol1976

i thought you pay the $400 if you don't call before installing?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They give you 30 days after install to cancel without ETF also. I think mainly because it is the law in many states.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Jamesflom,

Thanks for the info. After running diagnostics of your site, I am seeing some irregularities. First message back is that a LAN cable is disconnected. Please make sure that all plugs in the back of the modem are in, and that all lights are blinking. Next I noticed that there is a dip in performance but the data stops on the 27th. Just for reference, have you had any storms recently in your area? Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris